Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,358 times

Advertisements

Wow Lisa! What a job(s)!!! Looks fantastic! Now I feel bad about not just putting up the wainscotting in my bathroom!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:31 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,297,509 times
Looks good, girl! As usual!

Old 06-27-2011, 02:19 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Well then there will not be a cat on a hot tin roof at your place now.
Could be a fiddler in the future.....

Old 06-27-2011, 03:13 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Mike cuts up the wood and I start to throw it down to our fence. It takes me a few throws for each log but it eventually makes it down the hill Mike helps me finish up and we get the wood thrown over the fence and then loaded into the tractor bucket:

We love our tractor

LOL! You're even organized when you stack wood in the tractor to be brought down to the house...that is funny!

BTW, you motivated me to do something...I moved from FL to ME in May and the place I'm renting has a huge back yard with gardens all around. The gardens were overtaken by weeds...huge, tall, evil weeds. For some reason, your posts and images kept popping up in my head when I thought about it so I thought, "Sheesh, they built a house...surely you can tackle a giant yard full of weeds."

So...I did. And while I still have some to go, what is done looks all neat and orderly and is planted with new flowers and shrubs or vegetables...hopefully something comes of it. (I also saw you post in the garden forum and learned a thing or two there.)

I took before and after photos, too!

I know building a solar powered house is not gardening but your hard work and dedication and never stopping really is a big motivator to some of us to get out there and do things around our place, too. Thanks!

Can't wait to read the next installment. (And...well, I think the doggeh is a farm doggeh now.)

Old 06-27-2011, 03:56 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,937,232 times
Great story. Fabulous!

GatorMama,
Every little action adds up. So don't feel bad. These kind of projects are a win-win. It is a darn shame more people can't afford to do this kind of thing.

If you are looking at options to retire to me getting off-grid could be one of the best investments you can make. Cause inflation and many other economic factors are completely out of your hands. Also a shame that too many areas discourage this. There are many options that should be allowed/encouraged in US that are cost-effective, environmentally friendly, safer, good for business and life supporting.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:44 PM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Lisa, about the need for art in your house, here's what I suggest. Take your time and make day trips to art fairs and galleries around TN this summer. DH and I have always collected art for our home from area artists. This way, you are supporting the local economy, and it's also fun to explore the area for "finds". All work and no play makes Mike a dull boy, so drag him to all the art fairs within a reasonable area to find things to decorate your house.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,147,015 times
So happy to see a new update!

I can't wait to see the more recent garden pictures!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:50 AM

442 posts, read 1,510,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Lisa, about the need for art in your house, here's what I suggest. Take your time and make day trips to art fairs and galleries around TN this summer. DH and I have always collected art for our home from area artists. This way, you are supporting the local economy, and it's also fun to explore the area for "finds". All work and no play makes Mike a dull boy, so drag him to all the art fairs within a reasonable area to find things to decorate your house.
This is a great idea - local art can be really affordable - and it doesn't have to be a painting, there are fiber artists and sculptors galore in the mountains! Don't go to TJ Maxx and but those prints that everyone has - look for originals they are so much more meaningful! Good luck - we look forward to seeing what you find for your walls~~

Old 07-01-2011, 08:46 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
CA Sweet Pea- You are very welcome. Thank you for writing in.

PatsCats- LOL...you'll get around to your wainscoting. Welcome to our crazy life.

Kats- Thank you for writing in.

Tinman- Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
BTW, you motivated me to do something...I moved from FL to ME in May and the place I'm renting has a huge back yard with gardens all around. The gardens were overtaken by weeds...huge, tall, evil weeds. For some reason, your posts and images kept popping up in my head when I thought about it so I thought, "Sheesh, they built a house...surely you can tackle a giant yard full of weeds."

So...I did. And while I still have some to go, what is done looks all neat and orderly and is planted with new flowers and shrubs or vegetables...hopefully something comes of it. (I also saw you post in the garden forum and learned a thing or two there.)

I took before and after photos, too!
That is wonderful. I'm glad we inspired you or quilted you Now it's time for you to kick back and enjoy all of your hard work. Way to go. C'mon let's see the before and after pics I love those

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Great story. Fabulous!
Thank you.

gentlearts- Thanks for the idea. We are planning to go to some festivals and craft shows this year. Hopefully we will find some home decor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
So happy to see a new update!

I can't wait to see the more recent garden pictures!
Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
This is a great idea - local art can be really affordable - and it doesn't have to be a painting, there are fiber artists and sculptors galore in the mountains! Don't go to TJ Maxx and but those prints that everyone has - look for originals they are so much more meaningful! Good luck - we look forward to seeing what you find for your walls~~
It may take awhile but we are on the hunt...starting tomorrow

Have a great 4th of July weekend everyone. Stay safe.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:11 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,802,064 times
Lisa, you live in such a beautiful and scenic area; take pics of the area around you. You can have them blown up to any size you choose to and I even have some I take turned into black & white. Then just select the frames you want. I get loads of compliments on the ones I've done this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee