Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:47 PM

46 posts, read 119,037 times

Advertisements

Is planting good around the Maryville, Loudon areas? How well do flowers, trees and vegetables grow? Which plants and trees are the most common and easy to grow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 PM
jrc

13 posts, read 61,891 times
Default middle south is good for gardening IMHO

I am a gardener and one of the things I enjoy most about tennessee is you can grow a lot of plants that grow in the northeast, midwest, Pacific NW, and the southeast. You can have a spruce tree growing next to your needle palm if you like. Also the growing season is long but there is still 4 seasons. The soil is usually clay, however it is very fertile and can be worked into some good stuff with a little organic matter. Happy gardening.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:59 PM

408 posts, read 1,978,611 times
My mom likes flowers and has a lot of them growing (she's in Knoxville). I know she has a snowball bush, alzalias (not sure how to spell those), crepe myrtle, dogwood, pear tree, cactus, and others. Oh and the piney that ants like. And a day lily. I can't think of anything else.
I've been told my paternal grandmother (she passed before I was born) had a green thumb and could grow anything. She always had a garden of food and flowers.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:20 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Dunno about those areas, but there is a secluded cove in Warren County (Beersheba Springs area) north of Alabama that held the most nursery trees that I have ever seen.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 PM

630 posts, read 2,432,945 times
Default Gotta green thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
My mom likes flowers and has a lot of them growing (she's in Knoxville). I know she has a snowball bush, alzalias (not sure how to spell those), crepe myrtle, dogwood, pear tree, cactus, and others. Oh and the piney that ants like. And a day lily. I can't think of anything else.
I've been told my paternal grandmother (she passed before I was born) had a green thumb and could grow anything. She always had a garden of food and flowers.
I was wondering about growing flowers there also....
Do you happen to know how well roses grow around the Nashville area?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:33 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,658,579 times
Well, plants and flowers do great. Alot of "annuals" actually will come up again the next year! Especially impatiens which you will see in every garden along with the hostas. The only trouble we have may be a false spring which gets the flowers all excited then the frost gets them. Roses do very well here as well. I prefer a particular one from Jackson and Perkins. I swear you could plant it in anything from concrete to sand and it will grow. I can't remember what it's called but it's disease resistant and care free w/little pink blooms.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:19 AM

thanks, jkmewright

I ordered english roses last year from David Austin.... the roses I put in are yellow called Golden Celebration... beautiful and have a very strong scent.
I intend on digging them up, that is if they survive the winter, and bringing them when we move.
Gonna make sure that it's in our property disclosure....

I hate hostas.... that's about all that thrives here... along with ferns...

Before we moved here, I could grow just about anything.
From flowers to vegetables.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:21 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,621 times
Imascot: Loudon is in zone 7a, and you can grow just about anything there.

TNbound: I did a little search regarding rose gardens and Nashville and found this: Belmont Rose Garden · 2006 Nashville Rose Show - you might want to check it out.

Sounds to me like Yes, there are definitely roses in Nashville.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyLois View Post
TNbound: I did a little search regarding rose gardens and Nashville and found this: Belmont Rose Garden · 2006 Nashville Rose Show - you might want to check it out.

Sounds to me like Yes, there are definitely roses in Nashville.
Thanks GrannyLois,
I'll check it out.
I love roses, and every place that I have lived, I've planted them.
Until we moved here.... well, I planted them, but, they kept dying.
Last year, I ordered the David Austin roses which are cold hardy.
They will thrive basically anywhere. Not sure if they will survive.
We finally got hit with winter, and it's been below zero.

When we move down there, I'm going to dig up at least one of my bushes and bring with me... maybe even all of them...

Old 01-18-2007, 08:12 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
TNBound,

Do you mulch your roses or place rose cones over them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee