Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:07 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbyrd View Post
...Here in Chattanooga, we have noticed more CA plates than FL plates....
I wonder why. What makes TN so attractive to CA people to come clear across the country. I am sure there plenty of low cost living areas between the 2 states. Most probably do not have family and TN is not exactly a job magnet. Could it be all retirees?

No offense to the much older folks but having lived in South Florida the thought of mountains and old folks is pretty scary. They drive pretty bad on flat land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 05:35 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
I wonder why. What makes TN so attractive to CA people to come clear across the country. I am sure there plenty of low cost living areas between the 2 states. Most probably do not have family and TN is not exactly a job magnet. Could it be all retirees?

No offense to the much older folks but having lived in South Florida the thought of mountains and old folks is pretty scary. They drive pretty bad on flat land.
Not sure either, but here in North East TN I have come across may new comers from CA and they have all been much younger than retiree age.
From what several have told me, they are conservatives getting out of liberal land (a quote there, don't shoot the messenger) and a few others have talked about the crazy weather there and traffic, over population and bad schools. That is just the ones I have talked with, not a consensus from all CA folks moving to TN.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:02 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Smile I think many are on a quest for a beautiful life - not things any longer.

I think that you are right, mbmouse. CA folks that I know and have talked to are ready to throw in the towel.

I think we are seeing more and more people of all ages and income levels becoming more and more disillusioned with the make-believe way of life that has been the gold standard for the past 30 - 50 years.

It is something you might expect of the retiring generation, who after years of hard work are now left with very little to live on once they retire. What is exciting to me is that so many younger people are waking up from this fantasy.

There is still a huge segment of the country that will search for bigger and better, but many are realizing that bigger and better does not equal happiness. More often than not, it is the opposite.

Young families seem to want to see their children raised with good moral values, develop strong character, a sense of responsibility to their world neighbors, and feel satisfied with having a happy home that doesn't need the fancy trimmings all over it. They see this in Tennessee.

I say hooray for those wanting to leave these areas of the country where they don't find those values and attitudes. I am grateful every day that there are still places like E. TN, along many other places, that put a high premium on these attributes. I think that is what is going to keep the state from becoming too much like the places that so many left in disgust.

I hope I am correct in thinking that they all want life to stay just as it is in Tennessee and that is what is bringing them in the first place.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,171 times
I've heard LW say that in some ways parts of TN remind her of CA. And since she lived out in LA-LA land for 12 years I put some stock in what she says (love you dear)

Old 10-02-2007, 07:21 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Thumbs up Wonderful places to live and grow everywhere in US, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
I've heard LW say that in some ways parts of TN remind her of CA. And since she lived out in LA-LA land for 12 years I put some stock in what she says (love you dear)
There are lovely spots in every state in the US, TriDad. And, aren't we lucky that there are! Otherwise, TN would be waaayyy tooo small.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,171 times
amen gem! Our nation is blessed to have some much beauty and abundant natural resources. Pray that she doesn't squander them!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:52 PM

390 posts, read 1,701,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post

When I've said this, I was definitely referring to the mountains, trees, and natural beauty, not the conjestion, smog, and runaway real estate prices !!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:19 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
Wow, I've never thought there were any similarities between TN and CA, but that's a good point about the natural beauty. Both states have their own kind of unique beauty. I seem to be one of the few people that miss L.A., but I do-- terribly. Of course, I lived a block from the beach and there's nothing like starting your day with a good cup of coffee and a walk on the beach, with the tang of salt in the air, a cool breeze ruffling your hair and the surfers catching the waves. The day just seems so full of promise when it gets off to such a lovely start.

Of course, you pay a huge price for all that and if you drive just 20 minutes inland, it's a whole different world! That part I don't miss.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:38 PM

390 posts, read 1,701,906 times
Are you kidding....If I had not met and married a Floridian, I would still be out there! Don't get me wrong, I probably would have never owned a house, but I would be there. I was very involved in my church there, had a great job that I loved, and wonderful friends. I camped and kayaked on Catalina Island, did my triathlon at Lake San Antonio, and drove up the coast with the redwoods and the amazing cliffs overlooking the Pacific. I was financially not in a good place out there, but then again, I am a social worker and will probably be paying off my student loans for the rest of my life

Anyhow, not that the geography or topography are the same, it is just there is so much that is beautiful in each state. Think about Big Bear (closer to LA) and some of the mountain/lake communities up North. I think the difference is, that here, you don't have to drive forever to enjoy it. I think that TN has done a better job of preserving the beauty, in the midst of populated areas. Even in suburban neighborhoods, the houses here are not so close together and there are tons of trees. At least where we live, it doesn't look like they had a contest to see who could cut down the most trees. Then let's add even more nonsense to it and plant little baby trees after we just cut them all down. There are big, strong, older trees and lots of them....I love that!!

Anyway, I like that you moved away, but can still appreciate what is good about CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Wow, I've never thought there were any similarities between TN and CA, but that's a good point about the natural beauty. Both states have their own kind of unique beauty. I seem to be one of the few people that miss L.A., but I do-- terribly. Of course, I lived a block from the beach and there's nothing like starting your day with a good cup of coffee and a walk on the beach, with the tang of salt in the air, a cool breeze ruffling your hair and the surfers catching the waves. The day just seems so full of promise when it gets off to such a lovely start.

Of course, you pay a huge price for all that and if you drive just 20 minutes inland, it's a whole different world! That part I don't miss.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:09 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
You're right, beachbyrd! I appreciate having that extra space, too. People have to live too close together in CA, and it's getting worse every year. As soon as a quaint little cottage goes up for sale, the bulldozers are there and a McMansion goes up. CA has really done a terrible job of preserving the state's beauty and its resources and in controlling zoning so that areas aren't overdeveloped. By this I mean SoCal, because that's where I always lived, but I think the less populated parts of the state are starting to follow suit.

You're right! Big Bear is a lot like East TN and Lake Arrowhead is, too. And Mammoth, now that I think about it. I just always zero in on the beach part, because growing up in the East TN mountains, I took all that beauty for granted.

And, yep, I'll never be able to own property in CA again. I bought back in the 90s, when I thought prices were absolutely outrageous and they have doubled... then tripled... since then. I think that's why so many people are fleeing to TN. People in CA have heard about TN and they're just so desperate to live life amidst beauty and tranquility. CA isn't accessible to regular people... but TN is. I just hope TN does a better job of protecting the state's natural beauty and not develop right over it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee