Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Average Age Group in This Forum
Age 19 and under 3 2.00%
Age 20 - 24 8 5.33%
Age 25 - 29 7 4.67%
Age 30 - 34 13 8.67%
Age 35 - 39 17 11.33%
Age 40 - 44 20 13.33%
Age 45 - 49 19 12.67%
Age 50 - 54 27 18.00%
Age 55 - 59 16 10.67%
Age 60 and above 20 13.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:52 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times

Advertisements

Early 30s, no kids. I'm here because my husband and I grew up in Oak Ridge (high school sweethearts). We now live in Maryland, but visit family and friends back in TN often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 05:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klosk View Post
I'm sorry but I don't understand what age has to do with Tennessee. What's the point?
Well, actually age could predict where in Tennessee you might want to live. There will always be exceptions. For example, if you are already retired or plan to be retired soon, it might be easier for you to live away from or build away from big cities (Knoxville, Memphis) because you aren't tied, or soon won't be tied, to the job market. A place touting its many golf courses (Crossville) might be an easier sell to a 60 year old than a 22 year old who can only golf on weekends. A big city (Nashville) may be more attractive to a 22 year old for its night life than it would be to a 40 year old man or woman with a family of 6 who maybe can't afford a house of the size they would need, in a big city, prefer not to send their kids to big city schools and where night life is not a big factor at this stage in their lives.

I think age is more of a "where in Tennessee" factor than a "Tennessee versus some other state" issue.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:29 AM

630 posts, read 2,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, actually age could predict where in Tennessee you might want to live. There will always be exceptions. For example, if you are already retired or plan to be retired soon, it might be easier for you to live away from or build away from big cities (Knoxville, Memphis) because you aren't tied, or soon won't be tied, to the job market. A place touting its many golf courses (Crossville) might be an easier sell to a 60 year old than a 22 year old who can only golf on weekends. A big city (Nashville) may be more attractive to a 22 year old for its night life than it would be to a 40 year old man or woman with a family of 6 who maybe can't afford a house of the size they would need, in a big city, prefer not to send their kids to big city schools and where night life is not a big factor at this stage in their lives.

I think age is more of a "where in Tennessee" factor than a "Tennessee versus some other state" issue.
Laura you said it perfectly.
My husband and I are older parents, with a 7 year old.
Normally at our age, we would be thinking more down the lines of retiring someplace, but, we can't.
We aren't interested in golf, never have, so, that's not appealing to us.
When we did check out Crossville, we really didn't like it, but, others may absolutely love it.
My husband is a bird hunter, so, we would have to move near some good bird hunting, and out where a dog can run.
We don't care about whether there is a Walmart, Starbucks, Sonic, Malls, or any other super chain.
We love Mom/Pop stores, and have always lived in small towns.
We would also like to be in an area that is NOT a retirement area, a mixture of all ages.
Perhaps, if we didn't still have a little one at home, our choices might be different.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:09 AM

22 posts, read 70,978 times
I'll be hitting 40 in May and hubby is a year behind. We have twin boys that are 5 and I have a son that is 18. Hubby became disabled from work related injury 5 years ago. Just waiting for the lawyers to get everything settled so we can get out of Cali. Will be hard leaving our families behind but we are ready to get there and start a slower paced life and give our boys a place to grow up where they can run and play and just "be boys". We are looking somwhere around the Tri-cities area that we can get a place with a few acres. Jokingingly asked hubby a few years ago which Nascar track he would like to live closest too and as you can guess he picked Bristol. So with God's guidence and a little luck we hope to be there by the end of the summer.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,064 times
I'm 52, wife is 52-1 day. I am exactly 1 day older than her, hence her "Old Man" title she has bestowed upon me.
We are from Upstate NY, Canandaigua, and will be moving to Chattanooga in the next few months or sooner if the job pans out.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:05 PM

630 posts, read 2,432,565 times
Default 50-54 group

It looks like the 50-54 group has the highest amount,
and then, the 40-44 group.
But, mainly, the groups are pretty much averaged out, so, there is quite a variety of ages in this forum.... not just one age group.

Pretty interesting...

Old 03-01-2007, 02:36 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,839 times
I'm 30. My wife is 27. No kids. One cat. I'm a TN native living in CA, wanting to get the hell out of here because for one thing- the number of people moving to TN from other states, and even from the state I am trying to escape makes me worry that someday there might not be a TN to return to, but just one more overpriced state.
The other reason is that I like the idea of living in a place where your working wage actually pays for your living expenditures.

I also wanted to make a comment to some of these people claiming that they are moving here because they want a slower pace of life. Sorry, but that's not the way it will be here. We live at the same pace as everyone else does. The house is only a very small part of that.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:49 PM

43 posts, read 170,252 times
26, no children because i have not yet gotten married (or met him for that matter!!) I started checking the forum out because i am moving to Knoxville in May and wanted to locals point of view. Its been so helpful.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:29 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Yay for the 50-54 age group. I am 51 so I just voted for my age. My husband will be 61 in 15 days.

Oh and off topic, BUT this weather is awful. So. Dak blizzard~Tired of them.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:08 PM

29 posts, read 71,889 times
Hello all, Great thread. I am 60, Oh My! I have been researching Johnson City for the past 3 1/2 years. Went up 3 years ago and found it very interesting.
Lost my wife to cancer last May so my plan is altered a bit but I
hope to make it To Johnbson City after retirement at 62.
Currently suffering in South Florida with my 3 fantastic cats and working for Dade County for the past 28 years.
I cannot imagine how I did that.
I play jazz drums as a part time hobby. I teach a few kids now. I love
country music but I really dig a big swinging band.
Thanks to all the usual suspects for making this forum as great as it is.
You folks in the know make great reading and take a margin of uncertainty out our minds. Keep helping us find the way.
Regards to all,
Carpenter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee