Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 8,350 times

Advertisements

Hi all - We vacationed in Pigeon Forge several years ago and decided this is the general area where we'd like to retire. Even though we won't be ready to (retire) move for about 18 months I've been researching areas like Maryville, Newport, Greeneville and Seymour. We live in a resort area now so we're not interested in moving from that headache (gridlock traffic, "you should be *honored* that we're spending our money here!", etc.) directly into a similar one when we move. We always do our best to be the kind of tourist that we like to encounter here. The area where we stayed was fabulous, as were the activities, but I'd rather live at least a short distance away from the tourist hub center. Anyway, there's only so much I could learn from search engines and two months (to date) of scouring MLS's so I thought I'd come here and ask locals, fairly local, transplants to or from any of these areas or those just in the know.

We very much look forward to enjoying the slower, laid-back pace of everyday life. My hubby grew up on a farm in NW Jersey and the hectic pace of the shore area, even after 32 yrs. here, still doesn't sit well.

My first choice is Maryville, but, unfortunately, we didn't visit Maryville on our trip. Are certain areas of Maryville more desirable than others? Is Maryville far enough from the tourist hub that traffic isn't heavily impacted in summer months?

Thank you in advance to anyone kind enough to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 08:36 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,979,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNin2 View Post
Hi all - We vacationed in Pigeon Forge several years ago and decided this is the general area where we'd like to retire. Even though we won't be ready to (retire) move for about 18 months I've been researching areas like Maryville, Newport, Greeneville and Seymour. We live in a resort area now so we're not interested in moving from that headache (gridlock traffic, "you should be *honored* that we're spending our money here!", etc.) directly into a similar one when we move. We always do our best to be the kind of tourist that we like to encounter here. The area where we stayed was fabulous, as were the activities, but I'd rather live at least a short distance away from the tourist hub center. Anyway, there's only so much I could learn from search engines and two months (to date) of scouring MLS's so I thought I'd come here and ask locals, fairly local, transplants to or from any of these areas or those just in the know.

We very much look forward to enjoying the slower, laid-back pace of everyday life. My hubby grew up on a farm in NW Jersey and the hectic pace of the shore area, even after 32 yrs. here, still doesn't sit well.

My first choice is Maryville, but, unfortunately, we didn't visit Maryville on our trip. Are certain areas of Maryville more desirable than others? Is Maryville far enough from the tourist hub that traffic isn't heavily impacted in summer months?

Thank you in advance to anyone kind enough to answer.
I think Maryville is a wonderful choice, and I cannot think of any parts of Maryville that are less desirable than others. I would avoid Alcoa, however, but only because it's right next to the Knoxville airport and to the gargantuan Alcoa aluminum factory.

However, Maryville does tend to have some traffic because it's right on the main highway that connects the Knoxville airport to the Smoky Mountains, and Maryville is the hub of a booming commercial area; its population is growing quite rapidly. But it's nothing compared to the traffic nightmare of Pigeon Forge. However, of the towns you listed, Maryville has the most traffic.

Of the towns you listed, I personally like Greeneville the most. But if you like the creature comforts that big cities offer (malls, shopping, restaurants, proximity to an airport) then Maryville is hard to beat.

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 8,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I think Maryville is a wonderful choice, and I cannot think of any parts of Maryville that are less desirable than others. I would avoid Alcoa, however, but only because it's right next to the Knoxville airport and to the gargantuan Alcoa aluminum factory.

However, Maryville does tend to have some traffic because it's right on the main highway that connects the Knoxville airport to the Smoky Mountains, and Maryville is the hub of a booming commercial area; its population is growing quite rapidly. But it's nothing compared to the traffic nightmare of Pigeon Forge. However, of the towns you listed, Maryville has the most traffic.

Of the towns you listed, I personally like Greeneville the most. But if you like the creature comforts that big cities offer (malls, shopping, restaurants, proximity to an airport) then Maryville is hard to beat.

Good luck!
Thanks for those tips. From what I saw I, too, like Greeneville a lot, including a home with a lot of land that I saw at a MLS site - I couldn't believe it was only $249,000. We are really torn about wanting total peaceful atmosphere and wanting to be near emergency medical facilities (just in case!). Maryville seemed to be better equipped than the other spots. Face it, you get old you fall apart. We're not falling apart yet (our 50's) but when we move we intend to (hopefully) make it our permanent one. Malls are not important to us except on rare occasion, nor is proximity to an airport, though grocery shopping is a weekly dirty chore. I do like hitting a restaurant when my Emeril set needs a break, but that's not all that often.

What is most important to us is feeling relaxed, unhurried, peaceful and content. Getting away from the youth here who believe their in-your-face "what's your problem?" attitude is *your* problem. Our school system is rated one of the highest in the state, but the aforementioned attitude is the most common one among not only the students but their parents as well. And I'm sure you know they're not interested in how their attitude would have been handled "in my day". It's still hard to believe how parents excuse their children's disrespect of everything and everybody.

We are *really* looking forward to kicking back, relaxing and becoming part of the kinder, gentler society.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNin2 View Post
Thanks for those tips. From what I saw I, too, like Greeneville a lot, including a home with a lot of land that I saw at a MLS site - I couldn't believe it was only $249,000. We are really torn about wanting total peaceful atmosphere and wanting to be near emergency medical facilities (just in case!). Maryville seemed to be better equipped than the other spots. Face it, you get old you fall apart. We're not falling apart yet (our 50's) but when we move we intend to (hopefully) make it our permanent one. Malls are not important to us except on rare occasion, nor is proximity to an airport, though grocery shopping is a weekly dirty chore. I do like hitting a restaurant when my Emeril set needs a break, but that's not all that often.

What is most important to us is feeling relaxed, unhurried, peaceful and content. Getting away from the youth here who believe their in-your-face "what's your problem?" attitude is *your* problem. Our school system is rated one of the highest in the state, but the aforementioned attitude is the most common one among not only the students but their parents as well. And I'm sure you know they're not interested in how their attitude would have been handled "in my day". It's still hard to believe how parents excuse their children's disrespect of everything and everybody.

We are *really* looking forward to kicking back, relaxing and becoming part of the kinder, gentler society.
Actually, Greeneville has a very good (and brand new) hospital. And Greeneville isn't too far from bigger facilities and more shopping in Johnson City. Maybe you should give Greeneville a second look...

Old 02-09-2007, 12:15 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,683,409 times
We, too, are looking at Maryville for retirement. However, we have not visited Greeneville and have heard some great comments about that area. Just how far is Greeneville from TYS? Since I will be doing some traveling, airport convenience is a considertion. However, on doing some price comparisions between BNA and TYS, hundreds of dollars difference in ticket prices. Nashville is much cheaper. Having said that, is there another town other than Maryville that has similar amenities and is closer to Nashville without having to move to Cookeville? Thanks for your ideas. We will be visiting for the 3d time in March.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:38 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,954 times
I'm coming from New Jersey too...when you say Maryville's population is "growing quite rapidly", I get nervous. Are we talking about New Jersey-type growth or is that "rapid" relative to the growth you folks are accustomed to in Tennessee--does that question make sense?

I'm under the impression that there are few places in Tennessee that I could move to that would seem congested like where I live now. But if Maryville is on its way to that sort of population density I think we might be better off looking more rural.

(I should mention also that we're looking at land outside of the city itself, a few miles south of the city limits.)

Old 02-09-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1945 View Post
We, too, are looking at Maryville for retirement. However, we have not visited Greeneville and have heard some great comments about that area. Just how far is Greeneville from TYS? Since I will be doing some traveling, airport convenience is a considertion. However, on doing some price comparisions between BNA and TYS, hundreds of dollars difference in ticket prices. Nashville is much cheaper. Having said that, is there another town other than Maryville that has similar amenities and is closer to Nashville without having to move to Cookeville? Thanks for your ideas. We will be visiting for the 3d time in March.
You are right, air fares out of BNA are cheaper than TYS and a heck of a lot cheaper than TRI. Why don't you want to have to move to Cookeville?

Other towns around Nashville that are similar to Maryville are Gallatin and Lebanon. Lebanon isn't very exciting (in my opinion), but Gallatin is much closer to a big lake. Lebanon is closer to the Nashville airport. But Lebanon is pretty flat, not nearly as scenic as Maryville or Cookeville or the Tri Cities.

Just my two cents.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I'm coming from New Jersey too...when you say Maryville's population is "growing quite rapidly", I get nervous. Are we talking about New Jersey-type growth or is that "rapid" relative to the growth you folks are accustomed to in Tennessee--does that question make sense?

I'm under the impression that there are few places in Tennessee that I could move to that would seem congested like where I live now. But if Maryville is on its way to that sort of population density I think we might be better off looking more rural.

(I should mention also that we're looking at land outside of the city itself, a few miles south of the city limits.)
Well, for starters, Tennessee is growing faster than New Jersey, at least that's what the US Census is saying. So it's a little unrealistic to leave New Jersey and come to Tennessee in the hopes of escaping growth, particularly since the Knoxville area (which includes Maryville) is one of the fastest-growing areas of the state.

Maybe what you mean is, is Maryville becoming as crowded as New Jersey? To that, I would say a definite NO. There's plenty of space around Maryville for new subdivisions and other developments. But there are only so many roads that go into Maryville, and those roads can be pretty crowded.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:13 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,683,409 times
We have not visited Cookeville and I feel I should at least mention that before all the friends of Cookeville start a writing campaign. There's one statistic that deters us--the high percentage of tornado probability (listed on the city-data site) Why? Well between tornadoes and hurricanes in FL, I'm a little gun shy. I checked housing and it seems that C'ville is somewhat cheaper than M'ville. And, just because we've been to M'ville twice, we have a little more familiarity with the area. So, I guess we should be fair and visit C'ville, too. Must check to see if there's a Harley dealer close by. And, thanks
for your two cents.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1945 View Post
We have not visited Cookeville and I feel I should at least mention that before all the friends of Cookeville start a writing campaign. There's one statistic that deters us--the high percentage of tornado probability (listed on the city-data site) Why? Well between tornadoes and hurricanes in FL, I'm a little gun shy. I checked housing and it seems that C'ville is somewhat cheaper than M'ville. And, just because we've been to M'ville twice, we have a little more familiarity with the area. So, I guess we should be fair and visit C'ville, too. Must check to see if there's a Harley dealer close by. And, thanks
for your two cents.
That actually does make sense. I'm not sure how the tornado probability statistic was devised, but I guess there must be a higher chance of tornado activity in Cookeville than in Maryville. I've never been in a tornado, but I can't imagine the horror that goes through you if you see one headed towards your home. At least with hurricanes you generally have a couple of days to get out of the way and not just a couple of minutes.

At any rate, I would think that the entire Nashville area would have a higher probability of tornado activity than East Tennessee.

But there is a Harley dealer in Cookeville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee