Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 08:02 AM

14 posts, read 56,049 times

Advertisements

We're moving from CA to East TN (around Kingston / Oak Ridge /Clinton area). We'll be driving one of our cars there. But we're intending to sell the other car here in CA.

So our question is: From a purchase cost and tax point of view, is it better to purchase a new car (Honda likely) here & take it to TN or wait and purchase there?

Thanks you in advance for your replies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 10:59 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWIM View Post
We're moving from CA to East TN (around Kingston / Oak Ridge /Clinton area). We'll be driving one of our cars there. But we're intending to sell the other car here in CA.

So our question is: From a purchase cost and tax point of view, is it better to purchase a new car (Honda likely) here & take it to TN or wait and purchase there?

Thanks you in advance for your replies.
I can't answer your question but food for thought - Do you plan to do much driving in the mountainous part of East Tenn.? How will your planned new car do driving up a mountain road? My car struggled a bit, something I was not used to, living in flat areas all of my life. Never used to take the cars on vacations into the mountains of NH, always had the truck, so it never even crossed my mind that even though my car handles extremely well, it might not have the get up and go to climb. Not giving you car advice, just something to think about when you make your purchase in California for driving in East TN.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:40 AM

LauraC: Thank you for your reply. I know I said a Honda'd be 'likely', but that's much more based on other things. E.g., we've been reading the RV posts and may be going that direction (so a sufficiently hefty truck, per comments made there). We have an Odyssey & a Pilot now & will keep the Ody. So the question there will be what to replace the Pilot with (assuming we do).

My major focus was on the tax part of the question. Paying SF Bay area sales tax is one thing. Paying tax in TN is (I believe) different, so was mostly asking about how cars (/ trucks) are treated in TN. I've read what TN gov sites I can find & am confused (or unclear at best). So am looking for advice / pointers in this area. Again, thanks.

John

Old 02-11-2007, 10:35 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,351 times
It has been awhile sine I have bought a new car, but I think you just pay regular sales tax then title and registration fees. I tried to look it up on the state site, but that didn't help. The only mention of tax was sales tax, but it took me to a page about sales tax in general.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:20 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
From my understanding (when I was researching this about 9 years ago when I worked as an accountant and had to set up our tax in our computer software, and I just looked it up again, still the same.) the state sales tax is 7% and then there is a "local" tax. This what the county gets, here in Washington County (as well as with most others) the county portion is 2.75% which equals 9.75%. Now, on large purchases that are 1 item, in this case a car, you only have to pay local tax on the first $1,600.oo. But there is an extra 2.75% state tax on any single item that is more than $1,600 up to $3,200. After that you only pay the state 7%. So basically, you pay 9.75% tax on the first $3,200 then 7% on the remaining balance.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:44 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
You're assuming they're from a flat part of CA? Many parts of CA are very mountainous- Sierra Nevadas, Cascades, etc. I see they mention the Bay Area. Could be Mt. Tam, Diablo, hell, SF itself is very hilly!

When we moved to TN from CA I had my Subaru shipped out here but sold it because I didn't need 4WD anymore. We paid, what $800-$1,000 to ship it. It was bundled in, so I can't remember exactly. Anyway, figure the shipping expense into possible savings.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:42 PM

Default akm4...

'hell', as you said, is where we're from... We think we're moving to heaven... so that'd make us 'heaven-bound'?.. Guess so.

Ha! Actually, Livermore (Liver-who?) is the 'from', not 'hell' in any way. Thanks all for the replies. Hmmm... Maybe we should think about all those hard-earned dollars and where we'd like them to go (e.g., the tax coffers of which state)...

Old 02-13-2007, 08:43 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Default L Lab?

I know Livermore. Used to work in Pleasanton. I think you'll like it in TN. We're in Williamson Co. Huge change, but a positive one. You'll want to pack a few things, most likely. I'm talking about Trader Joe's, Peet's, small winery wines, Ethel M's and See's chocolates (only see them at Christmas time), etc. What I'd give to spend Valentine's Day in SF for dim sum, Beach Blanket Babylon, and a drink in Japantown. Still, I wouldn't move back for the world.

Hope your family has an easy move. Welcome!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:36 AM

141 posts, read 981,334 times
Don't know how much cost difference it would make, but in TN you'll be getting the 49-state emissions package instead of the CA emissions. That means that you may get a little savings on the purchase.

Also, I'm pretty sure the sales tax is paid based on the county that you reside in, not the county where you buy the car. Keep that in mind when shopping.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:31 PM

9 posts, read 37,461 times
You might want to check, but sometimes you might have to pay the sales tax again when you move to a differenct state--It depend s on how much you already paid, and might also depend on how long you have had it. If it were me, I woudl just wait until I got to TN, then go car shopping. One less thing to worry about with the move. Remeber, to get the car from the west coast, you either have to have it shipped, or drive it, and either eway has some expenses involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee