Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times

Advertisements

I remember driving through town when Mike and I first lived in this area about 10 years ago. Now please keep in mind, we are originally from Long Island NY. Anyway, we saw a police car in one of the Hwy lanes. As we passed we saw a deer(buck) laying in the road. The police officer lifted the deers head by his antlers, took his gun out, shot the deer, and dragged him to the side of the road. At the time I was thinking, OMG we live in Mayberry. Now I realize that he was just putting that buck out of his pain and misery using the quickest means available.

Anyone else have any odd or funny stories about living here? Please share. This is not a put down to anything rural just an example of how different things can be.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 PM

665 posts, read 1,925,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I remember driving through town when Mike and I first lived in this area about 10 years ago. Now please keep in mind, we are originally from Long Island NY. Anyway, we saw a police car in one of the Hwy lanes. As we passed we saw a deer(buck) laying in the road. The police officer lifted the deers head by his antlers, took his gun out, shot the deer, and dragged him to the side of the road. At the time I was thinking, OMG we live in Mayberry. Now I realize that he was just putting that buck out of his pain and misery using the quickest means available.

Anyone else have any odd or funny stories about living here? Please share. This is not a put down to anything rural just an example of how different things can be.

Lisa
coming from New Jersey , the jug handle capital of the world, we almost had a heart attack when we first came upon a lane in the miiddle of the road to turn left or right , we thought some guy was coming for us head on, we almost wet our pants!LOL,we then realized...uhmmm duh,that's the lane to make turns in! I am still not crazy about them though

Old 10-06-2008, 02:28 PM

451 posts, read 1,371,733 times
They don't have turn lanes in NJ?

Old 10-06-2008, 02:34 PM

36,518 posts, read 30,847,571 times
When I was a teen visiting prior to moving here and extremly bored, I would walk to a little diner where young people hung out, got a burger and played pinball. It was located very close to the interstate but it was not uncommon to look out and see chickens at the front door. Originally being from a city, I found that strange.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:51 PM

665 posts, read 1,925,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn5 View Post
They don't have turn lanes in NJ?
we had jug handles, I am not sure if some know what they are and if you do PLEASE do not think I am insulting you.Turns to cross a highway are made from the same side but you make a half circle turn, there's a light there, then you can cross on your green light.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Yeah, I'm from the northeast, and I first experienced those turn lanes when I moved to Orlando. The ARE terrifying and they are so much worse in Florida with all those aggressive drivers.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:14 PM

84 posts, read 291,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
we had jug handles, I am not sure if some know what they are and if you do PLEASE do not think I am insulting you.Turns to cross a highway are made from the same side but you make a half circle turn, there's a light there, then you can cross on your green light.
And if you've never seen them before, you won't know what to do at first! I went through New Jersey last year and it took FOREVER just to get to a simple hotel on the other side of the road!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM

283 posts, read 900,115 times
Default squirrel murder...

I was not exactly a city girl, but had never lived anywhere that hunting was a big-time thing. First visit to my (now-ex) inlaws, we stopped near charleston WV, and went to a burger place. Standing in line in front of us was this guy with a gun - rifle, shortgun, geez I don't know which - I was floored, wow, a gun, in public no less! Then I noticed all these furry tail things sticking out of his pockets. Ummmm... squirrels, maybe? ewwwww.

It gets worse, tho... once we bought the farm (down the road from my now-ex inlaw's farm), I would come home from work and there would be little skinned squirrel corpses in the fridge. double ewwwww! I never did overcome the aversion enough to try either cooking or eating them, and I divorced the squirrel murderer a while later. If the economy goes to south like it looks like it will, I have no nerve, so I will become a vegan!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 AM

sassy
that reminds me of my yankee family's reaction on a visit right before hunting season when folks site in their guns at the rock quary right off the highway. My niece started freaking out when she saw people with guns on the side of the road.

If times get too hard you may learn to enjoy those tasty squirrels.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 AM

I experienced my first cake walk and tent revival here. I've always seen signs advertising bundle openings, but I still dont know what that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee