Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2007, 11:18 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be relocating to Nashville from California, but I will have to claim my California unemployment benefits through Tennessee's Unemployment office.

My question is - How does Tennessee do the payouts?

For example, the California Unemployment office mails you a two-week benefits coupon that you MUST fill out and mail on the date the coupon says to (usually a Sunday). Since the post office is closed on Sunday, the mail will be delivered on Monday and you receive your check on Saturday. God forbid there's a holiday, then you won't get it until the following week. It takes approximately THREE WEEKS to get your weekly benefits in California. In essence, you're basically getting paid ONCE A MONTH instead of every week. Of course this type of payment puts you behind on ALL of your bills and you're basically broke until your next check. They don't plan on changing this delivery method any time soon either.

This is in sharp contrast as to how New York dispenses benefits. You file for your benefits once a week over the phone and get your check two or three days later. Perfect. You always have money and are never broke.

For those that may know, does Tennessee dispense unemployment benefits the New York or California way?

Thank you so much for you help on this matter. It will help me determine what I need to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 05:42 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
I guess no one's ever collected unemployment benefits in Nashville, huh?

Must be an excellent economy. Please PM me, if you don't want to post your personal business here. I need to know how benefits are distributed. Is it once a week; every two; every three, etc.?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,943 times
Red face Payouts

I dont know how the payouts are done but you can call the unemployment number 615-253-0800 or the toll free number 1*877*813*0950 I hope that helps.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:35 AM

231 posts, read 869,560 times
I guess my question is...Why move to an area that has a high unemploymed population, when you are already collecting unemployment?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,709 times
In tn you can file online and you certify every week and get a check every week. You can certify online or on the phone. It does take some time to get your first check. About 3 weeks. Never had problems after that. Takes awhile to process application. I never went to the office. Hope this helps

Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm going to be relocating to Nashville from California, but I will have to claim my California unemployment benefits through Tennessee's Unemployment office.

My question is - How does Tennessee do the payouts?

For example, the California Unemployment office mails you a two-week benefits coupon that you MUST fill out and mail on the date the coupon says to (usually a Sunday). Since the post office is closed on Sunday, the mail will be delivered on Monday and you receive your check on Saturday. God forbid there's a holiday, then you won't get it until the following week. It takes approximately THREE WEEKS to get your weekly benefits in California. In essence, you're basically getting paid ONCE A MONTH instead of every week. Of course this type of payment puts you behind on ALL of your bills and you're basically broke until your next check. They don't plan on changing this delivery method any time soon either.

This is in sharp contrast as to how New York dispenses benefits. You file for your benefits once a week over the phone and get your check two or three days later. Perfect. You always have money and are never broke.

For those that may know, does Tennessee dispense unemployment benefits the New York or California way?

Thank you so much for you help on this matter. It will help me determine what I need to do.
Instead of asking about how you can get a check here for not working, why aren't you asking for advice on the best way to find work when you get here? I can't help but think that someone who has researched the intricacies of unemployment benefits in so many different states is not looking too hard for a job.

As far as what you need to do, here it is. CareerBuilder, Monster, local classifieds, recruiters, temp agencies, grocery stores and fast food if you're desperate.

Best of luck with your move and finding work.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:56 AM

610 posts, read 1,624,190 times
www.tn.gov to apply for unemployment. You get a check every week. You also have to log in every week to certify for the next week's paycheck. Easy peasy.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:05 PM

634 posts, read 1,420,174 times
I'd say the OP has found a job by now as unemployment has probly ran out after all this time. This thread is 3 years old

Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 PM

359 posts, read 1,100,091 times
naw, probly just jumping from state to state for unemployment................................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee