Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2007, 08:55 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

Imagine you have lived in Tennessee for one year in the town you are either living in now or the town you plan to live in sometime in the near future. A friend or friends of yours are coming to visit you for a week from out of state.

Presume that they have 5 full days to spend with you but here's the catch, you can't take them anyplace that takes more than 60 miles to get to from where you live. (figuring that would keep travel time to between 1 to 1.5 hours max one way) And, you can't leave Tennessee.

State the season of the visit: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall

If we do this from different places in TN, I think it will give some visitors (relocation travel or vacation travel) some ideas of what they could see if they were in a motel/hotel/inn/campground in your town. Everybody else, it may give you some ideas for what to do with out of state visitors.

Label the title of your post the name of your town.

Also, you may have different ideas than someone who lives in your town or will live in your town so duplicate town postings are fine.

I'll start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Default Oak Ridge

Presuming my visitor will be here Tuesday - Saturday in the Fall (October) and must have a camera:

Arrival Day evening after dinner:

Show visitor 2 part DVD about the history of Oak Ridge.

Tuesday

Tour of Oak Ridge

Morning:
Melton Hill Lake
Fishing pier
Bissell Park
Civic Center
College campus
Art center
Jackson Square
East Tennessee Technology Park Overlook
Rarity Ridge
Drive through various neighborhoods
Haw Ridge Park
Lunch at Buddy's Barbecue

Afternoon:
American Museum of Science and Energy (in town)
south to Turkey Creek Mall (13 miles away)
or northeast to Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery in Clinton (11 miles)

Wednesday

Obed Wild and Scenic River (26 miles from Oak Ridge)
(hiking not planned, just stops at 2 - 3 scenic views for photo taking)
Frozen Head State Park and Natural Area (25 miles)
(picnic lunch in the park)

(Both of the above are in the Wartburg area, north and west of Oak Ridge)

Thursday

Cades Cove loop - Townsend (55 miles)
exit Cove on forested Parson's Branch Road
(note: normally I would head to Cherokee NC from here but we can't go out of state for this exercise)
17 mile Foothills Parkway for photos after exiting Cove on Parsons
If possible, take in a play, concert or movie in Oak Ridge in the evening (if we pass up Cherokee)
lunch picnic

(Townsend is southeast of Oak Ridge)

Friday

Morning:

The Lost Sea (underground sea) in Sweetwater 51 miles (southeast)
Sweetwater (humungous) Flea Market (if there's time)

Afternoon:

The Star of Knoxville Riverboat Cruise (3PM) 25 miles east of Oak Ridge and 53 miles northeast from Sweetwater)

Saturday

Morning

Norris Dam State Park (26 miles northeast of Oak Ridge)
Norris Dam
Lenoir Museum

Afternoon

Museum of Appalachia (Tennessee Homecoming if visit timed right) (17 miles north east of Oak Ridge but located right as you exit Norris Dam stuff)

Since it will be October, aiming for mostly outdoor things for Fall beauty but will only venture one day toward the Smokies because of tourists.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Well, for vacationers I always recommend April. Not as many tourists, and incredible scenery. It's like Tennessee puts on a show with all the flowers and blooming trees! I don't mean the landscaped stuff, it grows wild all over.

First place I would take my guests would be to Cade's Cove to show them what the Smoky Mountains were like when they were first settled. I would then head over to Dollywood to show them an absolutely sweet little theme park. It is not Disney. It is different. There are not a lot of rides but a lot of craftsmen displays, in keeping with the Appalachian theme and lots of country shows.

The next day I also would go to the Museum of Appalachia which is the ultimate in understanding this area and its people. I would also head to the Lenoir Museum and the Norris dam.

The next day, I would head to Chattanooga. It may take 90 minutes to get there but it is well worth it. I would have my guests visit the two aquariums. Walking towards the Hunter Art museum which sits high atop bluff overlooking the river, I would stop at the beautiful monument memorializing the Cherokee Trail of Tears. I would end the day by taking a walk across the world's largest pedestrian bridge to the restored carousel and the park.

I would stay overnight. The next day I would take the DUCKs tour. Fantastic! The tour is filled with phenomenal info about the Tennessee River. I would head up to Lookout Mountain and "SEE ROCK CITY." On the way home I would stop at the Lost Sea.

Last day, I would venture into Knoxville and go to Market Square and the Tennessee Theater.

Things that I still want to do but haven't been able to: The special secret city tour in Oak Ridge and the train and riverboat ride in Knoxville.

Also, if my guests came from May 4 to 6, we would have to go to the Rossini Festival in Knoxville. I've been to that and it was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee