Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,149,055 times

Advertisements

We found a property that offers what we want at the price we want it - it's in Henderson County, about 30 miles from Jackson in (sort of) the middle of nowhere - which is fine, we don't have a problem with that. However, the more I started to dig, the more it seemed to be that not all was as picturesque as the scenery. The statistics just don't make for happy reading. For the foreseeable future, I'll be on my own a lot. My husband will be there when he can, but that's not going to be on a daily basis or even a weekly basis.

Now I know statistics are just numbers and can be misleading.... but having said that, the numbers are not just made up either. As a female who will be on her own for the majority of the time, safety is a priority for us.

Opinions wanted please.
Many thanks in advance to all those that take the time to respond. It's very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 02:15 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,317,282 times
I don't know where specifically in Henderson County you're looking to relocate. I'm sure that some areas are better than others.

That being said, I have family in the Crucifer / Blue Goose portion of Henderson County, and they love the area. They've never had any problems. I would assume that Lexington itself may have more crime -- though I haven't heard of any major violent crime there (except a highly publicized shooting at the county fair several years ago).

Property crime is high in most of West Tennessee. There's no way around that.

Best wishes.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post

Property crime is high in most of West Tennessee. There's no way around that.
Sadly, so it would seem. Thank you for your input.

It's the area around Wildersville, by the way.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
kbg

223 posts, read 346,183 times
Nothing going on in that corner but your basic redneck scene, you have picked some off the beaten path area (hence the selling price) but I think you would be as safe there as anywhere else. Just do like everyone else in the country and arm yourself with whatever and protect what is yours because the local law or even a ambulance is not going to be very time efficent and that is if they can find you! Ha-Ha!

Old 12-19-2008, 12:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
A lot of the rural property crime problem seems to come from two sources: bored teenagers who have noting better to do than try to break into homes and people who assume that since they live out in the country that they don't have to lock their home or car up. I had coworkers at UTM that would not only leave their cars unlocked at work but also leave their car keys in the car and my mind totally boggled at that.

The teenagers generally aren't into the home invasion deal and will go somewhere else if there's obviously someone at home (when we got burglarized when we lived in Martin, it was while we were spending a week out of town visiting family) and locked doors are something you can entirely control.

If you've otherwise fallen in love with the area, I wouldn't let the crime numbers scare you off. Just be sensible like you would be in an urban area.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:10 AM

Thanks Beachmouse - I live out in the country now (different state) and around here... no one locks anything.

Having said that I was floored when I went to do statistical comparisons between where this place is and where we now live. The county seat (and the town where I go to do things, about 12 miles from where we live) and the closest place I could get for stats was given a 6 for violent crime and a 3 for property crime. If I remember correctly, the towns I looked up in Henderson Co. all had scores of 7 or above for property while violent crimes were around 3.

But it is why I made the remark that statistics aren't always an accurate reflection - e.g. if violent or property crime is only taking part in one particular area or among one particular group of people, then "normal" people can get on with their daily lives and remain totally unaffected.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 PM

6 posts, read 10,092 times
lived here all my life and i would give it a 7.5 on safe, we have experienced this crazy world here also but for the majority you will feel safe i think inquire about an area before you purchase some are more pleasing than others as it is everywhere.....good luck

Old 12-13-2011, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 10,092 times
violent crime is very rare in lexington

Old 01-05-2012, 07:20 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,348,552 times
i think the last murder in henderson county occurred about a year ago. a woman, who was leaving her estranged husband, was on her way to family, who lived in madison county, tn. she stopped at the I-40 rest stop, and was murdered by the husband, who had followed her from their home in murfreesboro, tn. he was apprehended and arrested quickly, and he admitted to the crime.

henderson county is a pretty place, and lexington is just a pleasant community that sets about 6 miles off the interstate. i wouldn't be overly concerned about the crime in that area. probably, some use of meth in the area, as tn has a problem w/ it throughout the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee