Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are prayerfully considering re-locating to Tennessee. We are currently looking at Columbia. We both have years of experience working with people who have developmental delays and challenges. We are wondering if there are any services/jobs available along these lines. We also have a fifteen year old son who would be in need of these services.
We are interested in looking at forclosures in good nieghborhoods. We would also be looking for a strong faith based community/ fellowship...
I am also soon to be a board certified Biblical Counselor with AACC.
Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 05:21 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,208,916 times
You might want to list more of what you're looking for (for example, do you want to live in a city, a small town, or a most-or-less rural area?).

The more information you provide, the better able we are to offer you advice or suggestions.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:05 PM

233 posts, read 720,644 times
Default Columbia, TN

You may want to look at indeed.com as far as jobs connected to what you have done previously in the field of working with people who have developmental delays. I am not connected with that field, but there was one listing in Franklin (not far from Columbia) that you may qualify for.

I would guess there may be some opportunities for foreclosures in Columbia, but I haven't researched that specifically. I am not interested in foreclosures due to the amount of work usually needed to repair the neglect that has occurred.

Columbia itself is OK. I do like the people here, but there are some areas that are prone to crime. If the GM plant does not continue, it will only get worse. I work in Nashville, but real estate is more reasonable in the Columbia area. We are still evaluating where we want to be for the long haul.

Let us know what you are looking for. Do you have a price range that you want to keep within? You will want to check out the schools in the area. I don't know anything about the schools, as I do not have children.

Depending on where you are coming from, there are some things to consider as well. From what co-workers and friends here tell me, this winter is colder than in some years past. For me (coming from FL) it has been a challenge! The first snow we had, I had someone on my bumper the whole way home. I guess they didn't see the FL tag on my car!!! Don't bother to worry about using your turn signal. They don't exist here. Just pull over into the other lane - no problem.

Continue with your research. With the overall economic picture, things in TN may be better than where you are now, or could simply complicate problems you are currently facing anyway. For me, it has been a good move to this point. Things are not perfect anywhere and they never will be. If you feel you can make an improvement in your lives, then go for it! However, moving for the sake of moving is not the answer.

Let us know how we can help.

Paula

Old 02-05-2009, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,668 times
I'm moving to the savannah area in one month going to try to run my own marine repair business there been working on boats for nearly 30 years and I wonder if someone can tell me just how much boating activity is there in the summer I need to get repair work whithout stepping on other peoples toes but I have to pay the bills too How do people in tennessee feel about newbies coming in and trying to establish and make an honest living

Old 03-06-2009, 10:13 AM

46 posts, read 170,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lschoorens View Post
My husband and I are prayerfully considering re-locating to Tennessee. We are currently looking at Columbia. We both have years of experience working with people who have developmental delays and challenges. We are wondering if there are any services/jobs available along these lines. We also have a fifteen year old son who would be in need of these services.
We are interested in looking at forclosures in good nieghborhoods. We would also be looking for a strong faith based community/ fellowship...
I am also soon to be a board certified Biblical Counselor with AACC.
Any info would be appreciated.
You are going to be SORELY disapointed moving to Columbia. It is a small step above the "Corrupt Meth Cesspool" Wayne County but a lot of drug and gang related crime is moving into the Columbia area.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,616 times
I am relocating to south central TN near the huntsville AL area. I am looking for rentals but have had very little luck finding anything on the internet. Does anyone know of any cute small towns that would be a good place to start looking? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee