Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:44 PM

94 posts, read 387,591 times

Advertisements

Wow, I didn't realize there was so many floridians looking to escape nature's wrath. I do think that's probably the plan I would have. With that in mind I'd like to offer my assistance if you need information about the southeast tennessee area.

I afraid I don't know much about the real estate market or stuff like that, but I can tell you what it's like to live in the most beautiful area on earth. I am fairly knowledgeable about the southeast tennessee area, so if you need some info don't hesitate to ask.

I'd like to do what I can to help anyone that needs information.

Mr Kerry Thomas
kklynnt@bledsoe.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2006, 11:47 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
You are just a complete angel. Are you in that area too or just from there?

BTW - we aren't escaping mother nature. The way I see it, she gives us a good weeks notice to get the heck outta dodge. I'd take that over earthquakes and tornadoes any day. Those are the poor people I feel so sorry for. I can't imagine not getting notice - knowing the ground below you could crumble at any given second with no notice. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

We are escaping the cost of living. In the last 3 years my pay hasn't gone up, but the home I'm renting that I could have bought for 95K is now worth over 300K and climbing, so he won't even think of selling. The rent went from 875 a month to nearly 1500. In 3 years!! We have 5 kids so we work constantly. It's just not paradise when you don't have second to even look around to see it. It's very sad.

I was born and raised on a small gorgeous island here that was very small town feelingish. It was the most secure childhood. Now you can't see a tree or wild animal or the beach anymore because of all the concrete and highrises. It's so sad. I haven't been to that island in 2 years now. It just breaks my heart to see it that way. My family has been there for 5 generations. They were there before there was a bridge to get to the island. As a 5 year old my grandmother piled into a boat with the other kids to go to the other near-by island to go to school. And now you pay bajillions of dollars to live there. It's not worth $10 to me to live there now that they have destroyed it.

Anyway, that's my Florida rant for the night. I apologize to anyone that got stuck reading it.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:56 PM

I just realized my cell phone company doesn't cover the Pikeville area. Anyone have any suggestions? I love mine - Sprint - and really hope they have coverage before we get there, but if not....

Old 03-22-2006, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,824 times
Red face Bev

My family and I are taking a trip to Pigeon Forge in June and are also considering relocation to the Knoxville area and are looking for an nearby town to reside. We have a 12 year old son, so are interested in an area with good schools and a short commute to work. Can you suggest any cities nearby?

Old 03-22-2006, 09:41 AM

48 posts, read 284,266 times
Mrs1885, Sprint has the worst coverage areas. I have Sprint currently, but getting ready to change providers in May once my contract is up. Sprint is awful in remote areas. In fact, when we evacuated for Katrina, we went to my sister's house who lives in a remote area and I had no phone service, which stressed me even more during that experience. I've had Sprint for several years and everytime my son and I go camping, forget about the phone. There is never Sprint service off the beaten path. I'm looking at Verizon or Cingular to change. If anyone has advice, please share because I'm definitely changing. If you can change providers, mrs1885, you might want to consider doing so. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2006, 08:26 PM

Pannod thank you.

Sprint said they will allow me to disconnect with no charge once we move because they don't have service there. I'm pretty bummed. I have had them for 6 years now. Where I am at in Florida they are the only decent company at all. Everything else dies before I even get close to home. I did have Verizon here for the kids before I switched them to Sprint too. The customer service was good, it was just the service that bites. Maybe I will go back to them!

Old 03-25-2006, 05:28 AM

111 posts, read 598,850 times
be careful trying to live in southeast Tennessee. Chattanooga's economy is bust!

Old 03-25-2006, 06:14 AM

48 posts, read 284,266 times
Mrs1885, I've also had Sprint for about 5 years now, but feel their service has declined, especially since merging with Nextel. I have a friend in the San Diego area who had Nextel who also feels their service declined once those companies merged. She recently went with Verizon and likes it so far. Her husband is currently hauling FEMA trailers, which takes him through various parts of the country and so far he's had good service. I'm just waiting for my contract with Sprint to expire (May 06) and then I'll go with either Verizon or Cingular. Good luck w/your decision and if you change providers before May 06, please post your opinion of your new provider. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2006, 09:40 AM

421 posts, read 1,691,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly Johnston
My family and I are taking a trip to Pigeon Forge in June and are also considering relocation to the Knoxville area and are looking for an nearby town to reside. We have a 12 year old son, so are interested in an area with good schools and a short commute to work. Can you suggest any cities nearby?
Check out Sevierville(same county as Pigeon Forge) & Maryville (one county over).Both growing,in good shape economically & the schools in Sevier County & Blount County(Maryville) seem to be good although I don't know that for certain.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,137 times
Anyone interested in Middle TN. [moderator CUT] Besides the obvious in MUSIC CITY, we have a large Medical community with about 20 hospitals, 2 medical schools, numerous Nursing/Allied Health programs and Colleges galore.
For sports we have the NFL Titans, NHL Predators, Sounds AAA baseball, a pro soccer team and of course all the college atheletics. Oh, I almost forgot, we also have a Womens pro football team.
a new Symphony Hall will open this fall, we have an fantastic Art Museum, equity theater, and any other type entertainment you want.

Last edited by Marka; 03-27-2006 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee