Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 07:03 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by connieD View Post
I think that all these rural areas in Tennessee are just now getting attention from savvy developers and will boom in a couple of years. Just a few years back you couldn't give mountain land away...but now..Some of Sewanee's bluff view land is right up there with beach front properties. You can drive from Monteagle and Sewanee and be in Altamont in 15 minutes or less. I'm seeing 5 and 6 new multi phase developments appearing all over this mountain. Somebody smarter than me knows something that I don't.
I don't know anything about the Altamont Land Company, but I do know that it will be VERY restricted.
I would not hesitate at all to have a vacation home in the Sewanee area. I love that town. Even though it's only 15 minutes or so from Altamont, it's a different world entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 10:44 PM

14 posts, read 54,812 times
Sparta Tn is also a beautiful area with mountain views, as well as Crossville, Cookeville, and surrounding areas. Van Buren Co. (Spencer) is next ot Pikeville, Sparta next to Spencer.
Be careful with the developments there have been several really advertise on the internet showing beautiful views and stating just minutes away from downtown _____ which ends up to be a veryyyyyyyyyy small town. The land is over priced with no water available, wells have to be dug!!! Do your homework before you purchase, make sure the land is reasonably priced for the area.... send me a e-mail I will be glad to help in the parts of TN I am familiar with.....kdavis_erg@yahoo.com

Old 05-28-2007, 03:31 PM

7 posts, read 26,414 times
You are correct. Altamont is on the Cumberland Plateau in Grundy County, a great place to be if you are looking for totally unfettered rural living. Grundy County does not have a planning commission, so pretty much anything goes there, but it's full of great country folks.

Nearby towns in Grundy county also include Gruetli Laager and Coalmont. Heading a bit further South, but still on the mountain you will run into Tracy City and Monteagle, where I live. I like being further South because of the influence of the University of the South in Sewanee that adds a lot of culture and, being closer to I-24 makes it's a lot more convenient getting to Chattanooga, Nashville or Huntsville.

Both Tracy City and Monteagle are split down the middle between Grundy and Marion Counties. Marion County has lower property taxes than Grundy and has a good planning commission to assure responsible growth.
Personally, I like the blend of University and country cultures, convenience and controlled growth that I find on the Marion County side. But I like to have a bit of separation from the Sewanee culture that I think can be a bit stuffy.

Last edited by JLatelee; 05-28-2007 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Some additional thoughts

Old 05-28-2007, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 26,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slt3 View Post
I'm a newbe to this site and I find it quite helpful. I like getting info from the locals - nothing sugar coated! Is anyone familiar with the Altamont Land Co.? They have quite a bit of land in large parcels for sale. They have just opened up a third phase in a development called Hunter's Ridge located of of Gap Road. From what I'm reading this area must be the worst place in Tennessee to live. I presently live in Orlando and my husband works in law enforcement and considering what it's like down here (and believe me it's getting bad) it can't be any worse unless every other household is a meth lab. If this is such a "bad county" why so much relocation to that area?
Grundy County probably deserves its reputation from the past, but in the last few years has done a lot to shut down the meth labs and clean up its act. You won't find any prettier country in the world. I think some of the other negative posts are playing old tapes.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:09 AM

4 posts, read 11,692 times
I also live in Ft Lauderdale and cannot stand it anymore, a few years back I bought 6 acres in Beersheba Springs, I cannot wait to get out of Fla and move there, it is so beautiful there.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:51 PM

21 posts, read 55,813 times
The land in Pikeville in quite beautiful... while Altamont is downright spooky. I wouldn't move to Altamount if the land was free and they gave me $5,000. Hows that for a reference?

Plus... Pikeville is not far from Fall Creek Falls - one of the absolute BEST state parks - virtually a resort. Golf, fishing, swimming, hiking, camping, etc. Great views. The park rents cabins short term - check it out - awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee