Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:49 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
Ha! I know what you mean. I have a small roof over my front door and it's a favorite nesting place for birds. Everytime I come in or go out the birds set off an alarm. It is also very visible to my cats from the window on the breeze way. They've been trying to get those birds for a long time. Thank goodness for glass.
My cat sits at the patio door and makes this "clicking sound" with her teeth at the squirrels on the deck. I have to be careful when I go out; the last thing I want on my hands is a cat and squirrel fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 02:05 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
My cat sits at the patio door and makes this "clicking sound" with her teeth at the squirrels on the deck. I have to be careful when I go out; the last thing I want on my hands is a cat and squirrel fight.
Cats are great aren't they I have one bird feeder in my back yard that is right ouside my bedroom window. I love to wake up in the morning and see them at the feeder. I have a big male cat named "Pixie". He's an indoor/outdoor cat so I have my feeders high. I woke up one morning and was watching a bird at the feeder when all of a sudden I saw this mottled streak come up in front of the window and the bird was gone. He must have jumped 7' to get up there. Needless to say the bird feeders were raised ASAP. He can't reach them now but he keeps trying to jump off the shed roof to get them. It's too far away so there safe.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:01 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
I don't think anyone has mentioned that we also have Early Birds, Jail Birds and Jay Birds (the human kind). I'm pretty sure there's a colony of them somewhere out in Middle TN.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 PM

185 posts, read 701,710 times
I don't beleive anyone has mention the grosbeak. This is the first year I have seem them here in Tn.
Attached Thumbnails
Types of birds in Tennessee-grosbeak1.jpg  

Old 05-03-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainna View Post
I don't beleive anyone has mention the grosbeak. This is the first year I have seem them here in Tn.
That bird on the right has got quite an expression on his face (and it is a "he"). I see a few grosbeaks in my area.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:58 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
I have yet to see those! I love the pic though, thank you for sharing. Wonder how I can attract them to my yard? What part of TN are you in? Wonder if they will come this far North/East?

Old 05-04-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I have yet to see those! I love the pic though, thank you for sharing. Wonder how I can attract them to my yard? What part of TN are you in? Wonder if they will come this far North/East?
They are probably already around, they range all over the eastern United States. However, they prefer woods to open areas.

Do you have towhees where you live? If a locale is suitable for towhees, it's probably suitable for grosbeaks. I see them only occasionally in Nashville, but they're fairly common on the property I have in Montgomery Country which is mostly woods and small fields.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:21 AM

I just spoke with my co-worker and she says she has them at her feeders all the time here in Kingsport........I guess it is the fact that I have a field behind my house verses woods. Bummer, they look like real cutie's.
I guess I'll just plant more trees and keep an eye out for them.
I have more finch type birds and wood peckers at my feeders.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:56 AM

I made a liar out of myself. I happened to look out the patio door yesterday afternoon and a male grosbeak was making himself right at home Maybe I just haven't been noticing them as much.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:19 AM

I hope I can be a liar too! LOL!
I have been looking but still don't see any grosbeaks in my yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee