Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

However, gun-rights groups say they will press lawmakers to take the matter out of local governments’ hands unless they reconsider.

From the large cities of Nashville and Memphis, each with more than a half-million people, to rural communities such as Watertown — population 1,400 — local city and county councils have voted to close their parks to handguns.

70 Tennessee cities say no to guns in parks | jacksonsun.com |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 01:24 AM

634 posts, read 1,420,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
However, gun-rights groups say they will press lawmakers to take the matter out of local governments’ hands unless they reconsider.

From the large cities of Nashville and Memphis, each with more than a half-million people, to rural communities such as Watertown — population 1,400 — local city and county councils have voted to close their parks to handguns.

70 Tennessee cities say no to guns in parks | jacksonsun.com |

I side with the gun-rights groups.

The whole point of having a carry permit is for protection. You can't protect yourself or kids from a thugs gunfire if you have to leave your legal gun at home. All they are doing is keeping legal gun owners guns out of parks. The bad guys will always carry on and do folks dirty. It's not at all fair, and folks need to stand firm on their Second Amendment rights. Think of all the money thats been collected from honest folks buying costly permits,and taking proper training to legaly be able to carry protection. They'll glady sell us a permit, then glady keep the money while revoking the permits one piece at a time. It ain't right folks. This is sposed to be Tennessee dagnabbit!

Old 09-08-2009, 08:00 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
My county seat is one that is on the list--Fayetteville. I use their parks, but it won't do me any good to complain to the Fayetteville government as I'm am not a voter there-- I live in the county. Shoot, they barely listen to anyone outside of the good ol' boy/ old family network, any way!

I don't really understand the cities' position...do they really truly believe that having a sign at the park that says "No Guns Allowed" will help? No sign has ever stopped people with ill-intent.
The people who have legally gone to the trouble of obtaining a concealed-carry permit from their local sheriff and undergone gun safety training are not the people to worry about. The fact that they jump through all the hoops and lay out some real money for the privilege of exercising their rights demonstrate that they are the ones who are law-abiding and will follow the laws.

They and their families are the ones who will follow the law--not some thug looking to prey on people.

In light of the Supreme Court decision (Heller v. DC) I don't see how legally the state can allow municipalities to bar people from exercising their rights. I think it's a matter of time before they are challenged in court

Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 PM

712 posts, read 1,488,482 times
Speaking ONLY for the Supreme Court case, it struck down a law that banned all gun possession (except by police), by anyone, at any place, with any type of gun. You cant pass a law like that now. You can legally allow local governments the option to opt out of the state law, just as the state law can bar people from carrying in parks, bars, etc. if they choose.

Again, that doesnt go into the debate as to whether they SHOULD, but they legally can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: