Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 02:46 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times

Advertisements

I don't know. Usually when a holiday approaches they jack them up but yeah, suppose to lower this year for the holidays according to the news maybe to get more people out to do things on the holiday weekends. Just went to town, Super unleaded is now $3.33 and regular $3.10 just in a matter of 2 days. We sold our jet skis last fall and i have to say we sold at the right time. Back then is was $100 to fill them up and the truck just to go out for a day of fun. i can't imagine what it would be now. Any watersport in FL is taking a killing right now if gas is required... well if you can even get in a lake. Our lake is 5' below what it should be and all the boat ramps are closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 03:11 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
I filled up today in Liège, Belgium, and paid about $8/gallon. Around here people go to Luxembourg for "cheap" gas, about $6/gallon. Just thought you'd like to know that things could be a lot worse.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:24 PM

197 posts, read 1,065,587 times
Good for you JMT....enjoy your trip there....the big difference is that people drive much smaller cars with excellent gas mileage and it will take you the same places the huge SUVs will. 80% of the brazilian car market is made of 1.0 liter engines that reach up to 90 hp, very decent for city driving and reasonably powered for highway, the same cars are flex fuel and can use gas or ethanol depending on the pricing changes of each fuel.....and Brazil is still a country in development with huge problems (I mean HUGE problems in other areas). Just a thought, perhaps it's time to make some personal choices in what we drive on an every day basis.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:35 PM

5 posts, read 16,097 times
i live in northwest indiana and gas here is currently $3.39/gallon, and on Monday it was $3.49/gallon!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Danielle: I didn't know you sold the jet skis! I think you were extremely smart and made a wise decision. I can't believe the lake situation!

JMT: Someone posted something about European gas on another forum, possibly Florida, and said that most of those prices are due to HUGE taxes that pay for nationalized healthcare and such.

Hoosier07: It's not so bad around here. You should see a LOT of the people in South Florida: Hummers and SUVs for retirees. Crazy stuff!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:43 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
well in prepartion for last years "BIG" hurricane season and wet winter we were supposed to get which we didn't, they lowered the water level of the lake 3 feet to begin with so this year alone it's gone down 2 feet on it's own just from lack of rain.

Yes we sold the jet skis and bought a camper instead. I really don't miss them. we used them so much anyways and being right across the street our neighbor let us store them at her boat dock so they were always ready to go. Though we took excellent care of them, some guy bought them without even trying them out or even starting them up. My husband offered to let him try them out on the lake or even start them up and he said, no. i'll just take them, gave us the money and drove off with them. Very odd but hey, whatever he was happy.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:43 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier07 View Post
Good for you JMT....enjoy your trip there....the big difference is that people drive much smaller cars with excellent gas mileage and it will take you the same places the huge SUVs will. 80% of the brazilian car market is made of 1.0 liter engines that reach up to 90 hp, very decent for city driving and reasonably powered for highway, the same cars are flex fuel and can use gas or ethanol depending on the pricing changes of each fuel.....and Brazil is still a country in development with huge problems (I mean HUGE problems in other areas). Just a thought, perhaps it's time to make some personal choices in what we drive on an every day basis.
Here in Belgium and in France, most small cars have diesel engines. They're great. My friend here just bought a new VW Golf today, diesel. We drove 310 miles (500km), sometimes doing over 130mph (200kph), and consumed only 7 gallons of fuel.

By the way, when we were going 130mph, larger cars were still passing us. But it was AWESOME!!!! But even then, it's still faster to take the train in France where trains routinely go faster than 200mph (350kph). I wish we had that option in the US.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:04 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
Cookeville, Pilot $2.89 today

Old 05-16-2007, 04:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
JMT: I get nervous when someone goes over 65 mph!

Danielle: That camper is really going to come in handy. I bet you'll take lots of trips to Tennessee in the coming years!

Old 05-16-2007, 04:11 PM

197 posts, read 1,065,587 times
Well, we reached he point now....mass transportation....this is the key! Fast trains and subway systems....let's just take a quick look on a few countries doing it for a while: Japan, France, Germany to list a few....I have a friend that just moved to Japan due to a job transfer, he can not drive to work, I'm not kidding, he can NOT drive to work and you know why ?
There is no parking place on his office (on purpose) so people are forced to take mass transportation, he's using the train and subway now. Cars are used for weekend trips. Can you imagine this here ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee