Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:51 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times

Advertisements

JohnsonCityPress.com - Local News - Johnson City, TN

NASHVILLE — A judge ruled Friday that a new law allowing handguns in Tennessee bars and restaurants is unconstitutional.

Chancellor Claudia Bonnyman said the law, enacted earlier this year over the veto of Gov. Phil Bredesen, is "fraught with ambiguity."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 07:33 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,434,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
JohnsonCityPress.com - Local News - Johnson City, TN

NASHVILLE — A judge ruled Friday that a new law allowing handguns in Tennessee bars and restaurants is unconstitutional.

Chancellor Claudia Bonnyman said the law, enacted earlier this year over the veto of Gov. Phil Bredesen, is "fraught with ambiguity."
Stupid. They had the option of opting out if they chose. So now, even if an owner wants to allow guns into his business that he pays taxes for, tough crap? What a bunch of BS. I go to restaurants on a regular basis and don't drink. And now I can't defend myself or my family when someone comes in shooting?

Oh wait, we don't need to worry. There's a law that criminals aren't allowed to bring guns in to shoot people. I'm sure they'll obey.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:38 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Stupid. They had the option of opting out if they chose. So now, even if an owner wants to allow guns into his business that he pays taxes for, tough crap? What a bunch of BS. I go to restaurants on a regular basis and don't drink. And now I can't defend myself or my family when someone comes in shooting?

Oh wait, we don't need to worry. There's a law that criminals aren't allowed to bring guns in to shoot people. I'm sure they'll obey.
Is it really that violent down there in Tennessee that you feel like you need to carry a gun around every time you go out to eat?

Guess it's changed a lot since I moved!

Old 11-22-2009, 01:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Is it really that violent down there in Tennessee that you feel like you need to carry a gun around every time you go out to eat?

Guess it's changed a lot since I moved!
Oh, stop. Yeah, I'm shaking in my shoes. I should escape to Chicago and live next to you.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh, stop. Yeah, I'm shaking in my shoes. I should escape to Chicago and live next to you.
Jeez, I just don't see the reason that people down there feel the need to carry a gun with them every time they go to eat out. I mean, I eat out and don't feel that need up here in the big bad city. It's pointless to live your life in fear, which is what you're doing if you feel like you need to carry a gun around.

Didn't know my opinion was invalidated because I live in Chicago. I would still think it was a ridiculous idea if I still lived in little ol' Columbia, Tenn.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Jeez, I just don't see the reason that people down there feel the need to carry a gun with them every time they go to eat out. I mean, I eat out and don't feel that need up here in the big bad city. It's pointless to live your life in fear, which is what you're doing if you feel like you need to carry a gun around.

Didn't know my opinion was invalidated because I live in Chicago. I would still think it was a ridiculous idea if I still lived in little ol' Columbia, Tenn.
It's got nothing to do with being in a big bad city. It's got to do with being prepared and not accepting being a victim.

Maybe you don't read the news. See, there are crazy people out there. They shoot people. They're not nice and should be sent to their rooms.

Chances are I'll never need to protect my family. But if the day does arrive and I can't and I lose one of my children, then how will I feel? I want to know that if that ever occurs, if some dumb A ever comes in carrying a gun, I can splatter his brains all over the room.

Maybe it's growing up in a law enforcement family or marrying into it, or following that career path myself. I just wasn't raised to be a tree hugging, tofu eating, Prius driving liberal. I don't plan on being a victim. I've got a very realistic view of this world. Most people are good people, especially in my area. But there are nut jobs out there and you can't rationalize and reason with a crazy person. If they decide they're going to take out a few people, the only way you'll stop them is to kill them. I'm fine with that. I'll get up the next morning and make pancakes for breakfast and my life will go on.

As for the new law, I don't know about the rest of the state, but I'd much rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:44 AM

Sorry, my opinion's not going to change. I feel like if you've got to carry a gun around, you're living in fear.

I guess I'm just a tree hugging liberal!

Old 11-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Sorry, my opinion's not going to change. I feel like if you've got to carry a gun around, you're living in fear.

I guess I'm just a tree hugging liberal!
That's fine. I won't change a liberal's mind. But seriously, ask yourself what you're going to do if someone does every walk in and put a gun to the head of your child? I'm very serious. Think about it. What are your plans? Do you really think if you're nice to him you'll change his mind? Really?

I'm not giving you a hard time. My in laws are the same way. They were actually angry with my husband for going into law enforcement. To them it just meant walking around, beating people up and shooting them. They hate guns. It doesn't matter how much education they got from us, their opinion wasn't going to change. I pray for them all the time because they live in a fantasy land where all you have to do is talk to bad people and they will realize being bad isn't nice and they'll change their ways. They put themselves in horrible situations, going into bad areas. I pray for them all the time. They're trying so hard to do what they think is right, but it scares the hell out of me.

I don't think I'm living in fear at all. I said I doubt it'll ever happen. But I also know it's possible. Not likely, but possible. And I plan on being ready if it ever does happen. Just call me a boyscout - always prepared!

Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,327,628 times
Take it easy folks.
Personally, I don't think this has anything to do with defending yourself if a nut job walks in with a gun, but the fact that alcohol and guns don't mix well. Add a drunk with an attitude, and a weapon=someone is gonna get shot.
They have to add restaurants to this because a lot of them serve drinks, but it really more aimed at bars....and if someone is bringing there kids into a bar, they have more to worry about in their lives than if a nut job with a gun comes into that bar.
Also think about this....when is the last time you heard on the news in TN " A guy walks into a full restaurant and demands money" ?

Old 11-22-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Take it easy folks.
Personally, I don't think this has anything to do with defending yourself if a nut job walks in with a gun, but the fact that alcohol and guns don't mix well. Add a drunk with an attitude, and a weapon=someone is gonna get shot.
They have to add restaurants to this because a lot of them serve drinks, but it really more aimed at bars....and if someone is bringing there kids into a bar, they have more to worry about in their lives than if a nut job with a gun comes into that bar.
Also think about this....when is the last time you heard on the news in TN " A guy walks into a full restaurant and demands money" ?
I'm not wound up at all.

I agree - no one that drinks should be in possession of a weapon. If you walk in a bar - or restaurant for that matter - and plan on drinking, the gun needs to stay locked in a car. But I don't drink.

A bar or restaurant being held up may not be common, but someone shooting in a bar is. You hear that alot. And there are plenty people that can stop that guy before he takes out a dozen people.

Paterson police investigate fatal shooting at bar | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Vail man, 63, held in fatal shooting at bar | Philadelphia Daily News | 11/09/2009 (http://www.philly.com/dailynews/national/20091109_Vail_man__63__held_in_fatal_shooting_at_b ar.html - broken link)

Va. man is victim in shooting at bar

Police involved shooting at bar in Miller Place, Long Island - 11/19/09 - New York News and Tri-State News - 7online.com

There are plenty more links if you'd like more proof. Over 36 million hits came up. It's not just people robbing places, it's people being violent criminals. I don't care to be their victim and I have a big problem with people telling me I have no choice. So now my option is don't go out to eat or break that law. *shrug*

They also passed a law that firearms aren't allowed in TN state parks recently remember? The day after they passed that law, there was a hold up in one of the state parks. All you are doing is telling the criminal element where they are safe to commit crimes, because no one will be there to stop them.

I'm not sure why people don't get that the criminals don't obey your stupid laws. All you're doing is infringing on the rights of the responsible, law abiding public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee