Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:50 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,543,094 times

Advertisements

I have my house on the market and plan to move to Tennessee. I have been looking at those 2 cities but other cities are options also.

Anyone want to provide me with some info on why you would choose 1 over the other (or a different city, such as Nashville)?

I have two kids who would be entering grade school fairly soon (1 next year and the other in 3 yrs), so schools obviously are a big issue.

I would be looking to spend $175000 on a house MAX, but like most people I don't want to come anywhere near my max. Would I be able to find a nice fixer upper (I should say updater) in nice family neighborhoods around these cities?

I really appreciate all the help, as the house could go soon or it could sit for awhile, so I would like to be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 07:02 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,014,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
I have my house on the market and plan to move to Tennessee. I have been looking at those 2 cities but other cities are options also.

Anyone want to provide me with some info on why you would choose 1 over the other (or a different city, such as Nashville)?

I have two kids who would be entering grade school fairly soon (1 next year and the other in 3 yrs), so schools obviously are a big issue.

I would be looking to spend $175000 on a house MAX, but like most people I don't want to come anywhere near my max. Would I be able to find a nice fixer upper (I should say updater) in nice family neighborhoods around these cities?

I really appreciate all the help, as the house could go soon or it could sit for awhile, so I would like to be prepared.
No doubt about it, both Knoxville and Chattanooga are nice.

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? That might help you make up your mind. Chattanooga has some nice in-town neighborhoods, but the inner-city schools in Chattanooga are pretty lousy; if you lived in Chattanooga you'd probably want your kids to go to suburban schools.

Knoxville, however, has some decent inner-city schools. Not great, but decent, and probably better than Chattanooga's inner-city schools.

Knoxville has booming suburbs. Chattanooga's not growing very fast over-all, so your $175k might go further there than in Knoxville.

I personally like Chattanooga better than Knoxville, but only because I really dig urban neighborhoods. Chattanooga has a cool downtown, something Knoxville is trying to copy but about 20 years behind Chattanooga.

On the other hand, if I had kids in public schools, I'd probably pick the Knoxville area. You could easily find a house in your price range in Maryville, a really nice suburb of Knoxville that has outstanding schools and is a real community and not just a generic burb.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,689,701 times
good points JMT. Schools aside, if you're able to make it out for a visit I highly suggest doing so. We had things narrowed down between Knoxville & Chattanooga and only after the roadtrip to check out both did we make a decision on where to focus.

check out the thread at https://www.city-data.com/forum/chatt...ce-please.html

Old 10-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Suburban schools probably would be the best, BUT I hate the cookie cutter newer development suburbs, so it would have to be someplace with character.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
good points JMT. Schools aside, if you're able to make it out for a visit I highly suggest doing so. We had things narrowed down between Knoxville & Chattanooga and only after the roadtrip to check out both did we make a decision on where to focus.

check out the thread at https://www.city-data.com/forum/chatt...ce-please.html
Awesome. That huge thread probably has everything I need.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:19 PM

that's why I like where we live

Old 10-02-2007, 07:19 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,014,992 times
Quote:
Suburban schools probably would be the best, BUT I hate the cookie cutter newer development suburbs, so it would have to be someplace with character.
Then you might want to really check out Maryville. It's next door to the Knoxville airport and is only a half-hour to downtown Knoxville, yet it's its own town with its own identity, historical neighborhoods, a real downtown, its own mall, etc. And Maryville's city schools are among the best in the state.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:21 PM

yes...do check out Maryville (or "Mur-ville" as I heard some of the natives up there call it)

Old 10-02-2007, 07:21 PM

One other question real quick. What is Aretha Frankensteins?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
One other question real quick. What is Aretha Frankensteins?
aretha frankensteins is the place for pancakes...so I hear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee