Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:03 PM

21 posts, read 89,037 times

Advertisements

What towns would one look for that has great mountain views, very quiet peaceful, with swimmable lakes? Are there any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 05:23 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,911 times
Default Eastern State part

D: I would say Eastern part has all your wishes. The Tennessee river is quite nice between the locks/dams. The sections that widen out have different Lake Names. Chickamauga Lake just south of Dayton and North of Chattanooga, is very typical. Many coves and creek inlets. Also Hiwassee River empties also. Kayak / canoe paddling very popular here........[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-20-2007, 05:36 PM

60 posts, read 308,618 times
Smithville near Center Hill Lake (30 min. from Cookeville) or Dale Hollow, which many claim to be the cleanest lake they've ever seen, on the Cumberland Plateau near Livingston/Byrdstown. VERY rural but lovely at Dale Hollow.

Center Hill is the preferred lake of many of your country music stars, particularly Alan Jackson and Aaron Tippin.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,677 times
Between Elizabethton and Mountain City you can swim in the Watagua Lake. There are at least two spots roped off for swimming.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:31 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnemke View Post
What towns would one look for that has great mountain views, very quiet peaceful, with swimmable lakes? Are there any?
I agree with KC38506, the lakes around Cookeville are beautiful. Dale Hollow is my favorite, it's more isolated than the other lakes and the water really is cleaner (too clean for catfish). Center Hill is probably the most popular but only because it's closer to Nashville. Like KC38506 said, there are some country music stars with weekend getaways on Center Hill Lake.

I'm going to try attaching some pictures of the 3 lakes near Cookeville and see if it works.

Here's a picture of Center Hill Lake:

Here's a picture of Cordell Hull Lake:

And here's my favorite, Dale Hollow Lake:

Old 02-21-2007, 02:38 AM

21 posts, read 89,037 times
Default Swimming lakes

Thanks for the great pics and info.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:22 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,827 times
Thanks for posting those pictures, They are beautiful JMT I saw them BEFORE work and kept thinking, I am going there they give me hope

Old 02-21-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
Thanks for posting those pictures, They are beautiful JMT I saw them BEFORE work and kept thinking, I am going there they give me hope
I'm glad you liked them! Are you going to the Cookeville area? If so, I highly recommend Dale Hollow, but Center Hill is also beautiful.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:23 PM

665 posts, read 1,925,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm glad you liked them! Are you going to the Cookeville area? If so, I highly recommend Dale Hollow, but Center Hill is also beautiful.
I will sure try now after seeing the beautiful lakes. I may sound dumb, but I dont really know the area around, like seiverville ,Gatlinburg,pigeon forge.Is cookeville far from this area?(sorry if the spelling of towns are wrong)..

Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
I will sure try now after seeing the beautiful lakes. I may sound dumb, but I dont really know the area around, like seiverville ,Gatlinburg,pigeon forge.Is cookeville far from this area?(sorry if the spelling of towns are wrong)..
Trust me, phyll, you can misspell Tennessee names all you want as long as you continue to have the wonderful attitude that you have about coming to Tennessee. You will definitely be welcomed here!

Cookeville is about 3 hours from Gatlinburg, maybe a little more if it's a beautiful fall weekend and traffic in the mountains is pretty bad.

One of the nice things about Cookeville (and there are many) is that it's in a beautiful setting, you don't need to battle the Sevierville / Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg traffic nightmare if you want to see fall colors. But you're also only a 3 hour drive away if you really do want to go spend a weekend (or a day) in the beautiful Smoky Mountains.

And Cookeville is also only an hour from the Nashville airport with its cheap and plentiful flights (half the price of flights out of Knoxville or the Tri Cities).

And, as you saw from those pictures, there are some beautiful lakes around Cookeville.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you want. And come on down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee