Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times

Advertisements

Have you actually visited Lake City and looked around, or are you trying to do this all on line? I think that if you drove around the area for an hour or so, you would get a much better idea if it would fit into your plans.

Maybe its just me, but trying to pick a place to live on line is a much bigger risk than I would want to take. I bet you could find really cheap land in Scott County, but you probably wouldn't want to live there, or make the commute to Knoxville every day. Yet many people do.

You need to visit potential areas and see if they fit your needs. It's just not something you can do on the internet - get a feel for the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 07:02 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
I like Lake City. I go up there for an auction quite often. It's an old town. A main strip with a grocery store, library, basic stores. North of Main Street, it's more built up and stuff like Cracker Barrel and chain stores.
There are some gorgeous estates on the outskirts and some tiny bungalows downtown by the railroad tracks.
It's not a bad little town. It has an interesting history. It was known as Coal Creek and Fraterville.
Coal Creek Watershed Foundation, Inc.
The name got changed when TVA came in and started construction on Norris Dam.
Fraterville was the site of one of the worst coal mine disasters in the U.S. when an explosion killed over 180 men and boys -- most of the male population.
Coal Creek Watershed Foundation, Inc.
It's a proud area that wants to preserve their heritage while moving into the future. It's also a beautiful area, nestled into the foothills.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:25 PM

17 posts, read 93,181 times
A friend of mine used to live in Lake City, and like another poster said, it is pretty run down. If you are willing to spend upwards of $230k, I'd highly suggest somewhere else. Although, you could get a big house there for that amount of money. I'm not even quite sure there are houses there for that much. If you are going to work in Knoxville, and your friend lives in Clinton, I would suggest either looking at West Knoxville, maybe around Hardin Valley, or maybe even Karns. The houses are alot nicer in those areas, IMO.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 PM

17 posts, read 93,181 times
Oh, and also wanted to add, there's absolutely nothing to do in Lake City, and it's a pretty hefty drive to find something worthwhile. You pretty much have a tiny grocery store, a car wash, and a McDonalds. That's your options in LC. If you moved towards Hardin Valley in Knoxville, you would have an abundance of things to do within a 10 minute drive. Turkey Creek is the next exit down, and there's tons of restaurants and shopping to be done there, with a really nice movie theater. If you have any other questions, please feel free to send me an e-mail and I can help you with anything you need

-Kelly

Old 06-13-2010, 12:46 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
You could look in the Powell or Heiskell areas and be close to Clinton AND the shopping at Callahan drive/ Clinton hwy or Emory Road.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:40 PM

4 posts, read 12,879 times
We also are going to be looking at a house in Lenoir City. I will be flying there on Friday. Hopefully we can find something. I am ready to move!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 AM

458 posts, read 1,272,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuatro View Post
That is my impression too lovesufjan....and I lived here for about 4 years. Coming from Virginia Beach, I had some culture shock.

Are you specifically looking for a house with a lot of land?
Fellow VB'er working in LC...

RE: price of 230k with a couple acres. That sounds high to me. I live in a 3BR/1BA rancher on 7+ acres in Knoxville that was less than 100k.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:50 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Methinks you should really research what goes on in Lake City before investing in a house there just because it sounds cheap. Be very methodical and don't make a hasty decision. Besides a couple fast food restaurants and tobacco stores, and maybe a Baptist and a Methodist church, there isn't a whole lot to get into there... except... well, hopefully you have figured it out by now.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 PM

458 posts, read 1,272,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Methinks you should really research what goes on in Lake City before investing in a house there just because it sounds cheap. Be very methodical and don't make a hasty decision. Besides a couple fast food restaurants and tobacco stores, and maybe a Baptist and a Methodist church, there isn't a whole lot to get into there... except... well, hopefully you have figured it out by now.
Pimpy! It is SO refreshing to meet another who enjoys etymological whimsy! You made me laugh out loud, truly. Thank you for that!

Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Thumbs up ....... Lake City Tennessee ...........

It's official !!! Lake City Tennessee will now be knowing as " Rocky Top Tennessee"
The new tourist attraction in Tennessee...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77hneLgt33k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee