Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 10:40 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,268,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Not sure what to make of all these underground loops. A tunnel is a tunnel. How many can you build? How much money? And in an earthquake zone? To make it really work, you'd have to remake urban planning (at least in So. Cal.) Lots of questions.

How much different is this really, compared to a subway? A commercial electric van makes sense though.
I guess tunnels actually do well in earthquakes from what I read.

Who knows how likely, but if they can reduce cost and increase boring speed by an order of magnitude each, it would be cost effective to build quite a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 10:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
I guess tunnels actually do well in earthquakes from what I read.

Who knows how likely, but if they can reduce cost and increase boring speed by an order of magnitude each, it would be cost effective to build quite a bunch.
Because earthquakes are like big waves on the ocean, only the top gets the hardest impact. If you are underground, like underwater you feel nothing since the force is absorbed above ground.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:45 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Oh well...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/busin...any/index.html

Old 06-14-2020, 08:40 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
So currently they’ve built a couple of underground tunnels that cars can drive in?

Old 06-14-2020, 12:33 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,268,581 times
Quote:
Oh well?

Lulz

Old 06-14-2020, 03:22 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Are they going to get the roadster, pickup truck and or semi on the road before this?
I feel like it's got to be after all three of them unless it shares a platform with the pickup truck and is easily adapted from such.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I feel like it's got to be after all three of them unless it shares a platform with the pickup truck and is easily adapted from such.
The pickup and semi sharing the same platform? That seems like a bridge too far imo given the needs/constraints differential between a pickup and Semi

Old 06-16-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
The pickup and semi sharing the same platform? That seems like a bridge too far imo given the needs/constraints differential between a pickup and Semi
I meant in regards to the topic—a 12 pass van. You mentioned the three other Tesla vehicles that haven’t come out and asked when the 12 pass van would. My response is that I don’t think it will come out until those three already announced vehicles came out *unless* this 12 pass van shared a lot of parts with the pickup. I don’t think that’s too wild of an idea since this wouldn’t be the first time in automotive history that there was some overlap between a multipassenger van and a truck. I’m pretty sure that has happened in the past. Otherwise, I think this new 12 pass van would come after the pickup, semi, and roadster, though the semi is a bit of a wildcard.

I do think going with the 12 pass makes sense first though. Cargo vans and multipassenger vans have their uses in the stop and go, short distances that city driving context which EVs are notably good for, and most of the important parts of most EVs reside in a flat-ish skateboard at the floor of the vehicle which opens up a lot of room. Rivian seems to be going for that with its Amazon delivery vehicles deal.

I think there’s a lot of incentive there both in terms of the market and the billionaire **** measuring contest between Bezos backed Rivian and Tesla with Musk at the helm. I mean, what loftier goal than that among us mankind? Is that phallic proxy between Blue Origin and SpaceX not what brought our nation thrusting back into the endless gape of the Cosmos?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-16-2020 at 01:58 PM..

Old 06-16-2020, 04:15 PM

You are correct I totally blew that. The truck and van could be on the same platform if not a modified version. I’m not sure how I crossed that with the semi

Old 06-16-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
You are correct I totally blew that. The truck and van could be on the same platform if not a modified version. I’m not sure how I crossed that with the semi
No sweat, bud It’s all just random guesses and my own bloviating anyhow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla