Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 04:22 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times

Advertisements

After owning the Model Y for several months now, I was glad to get behind the wheel of another crossover EV entrant: the Ioniq 5. In short, the two cars aren’t as close as competitors as I initially expected. For one, the Tesla is far more expensive considering there is currently no federal EV tax credit for the Tesla. So we are looking at an approximate $15k price gap for the cheapest variants of both if we don’t factor dealer markups. And their road manners are very different as well, with the Tesla skewing towards the enthusiast crowd.

What the Ioniq 5 does better:
- smoother ride. It handles bumps like a luxury car. Even railroad crossings felt well isolated.
- less wind/road noise. It was noticeably quieter than the Tesla at highway speeds
- physical controls for things like the wipers
- better headroom in the rear, when seats are reclined
- dual display screens, with one display right above the steering wheel
- door close with a nice “thunk” vs teslas loud clunk

What the Tesla does better:
- range based on EPA
- acceleration. The Y feels far more powerful.
- seats. The Y has more thickly padded front seats and give it a more premium feel despite being noisier. The Ioniq 5 seats feel like they were pulled from an economy car. Such a shame since the car was otherwise well executed.
- cargo space. The Y’s cargo floor goes much deeper, has a bigger under storage. The Ioniq5 cargo area looks small in comparison.
- handling. The Y felt like it had quicker reflexes and less body roll, perhaps the plus side of having a stiffer ride than the Ioniq 5.

Overall they are both fine choices for their respective price points. The future of the EV looks bright!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 04:37 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I think that price point difference is massive even when excluding the base trim RWD model, isn't it? I think the "proper" comparison for now is the larger battery pack, AWD model and that at $47,140 without tax credit is still significantly less expensive than the base Model Y (one battery size, also AWD) available.

I also like the looks of the Ioniq 5 more. I think a sizable difference for some people would be the charging networks as it stands, but how important that is will vary greatly depending on where you are located and what your driving habits are. Overall, I think Hyundai did a really fantastic job.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:54 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,658,619 times
I own two electric cars. Both Bolts. Got them in Spring of 21 when they were giving them away (slight exaggeration). Fantastic city cars. Not good road trip cars.

So, at some point I may pick up another electric. Even though I own Tesla stock, I think the Ioniq 5 might be the top of my list.

The charging speed and the ability to run things from the charging port are big plusses for me. If Tesla opened up superchargers that would sway me even more to the 5.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think that price point difference is massive even when excluding the base trim RWD model, isn't it? I think the "proper" comparison for now is the larger battery pack, AWD model and that at $47,140 without tax credit is still significantly less expensive than the base Model Y (one battery size, also AWD) available.

I also like the looks of the Ioniq 5 more. I think a sizable difference for some people would be the charging networks as it stands, but how important that is will vary greatly depending on where you are located and what your driving habits are. Overall, I think Hyundai did a really fantastic job.
Yep you’re correct..it’s a massive MSRP difference especially since the Ioniq is eligible for the tax credit. But in my case, the dealership I went to tacked on various markups for an ioniq SE AWD model which resulted in an eye popping $60k. And this goes back to why I dislike the legacy dealership model…they sometimes tack things on like paint protection and VIN etching for an exorbitant price, on top of the low inventory markups.

The dealer was willing to go down to $55k, which effectively makes it $47.5k after the tax credit. So that’s a $12k advantage over the current Y price. But the Tesla is a larger vehicle with a more powerful drivetrain. It also packs some additional features such as premium sound and power passenger seat (the Ioniq I looked at only had power drivers seat).

I agree that Hyundai did a fantastic job but I feel that they are getting undermined by their dealers.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
I own two electric cars. Both Bolts. Got them in Spring of 21 when they were giving them away (slight exaggeration). Fantastic city cars. Not good road trip cars.

So, at some point I may pick up another electric. Even though I own Tesla stock, I think the Ioniq 5 might be the top of my list.

The charging speed and the ability to run things from the charging port are big plusses for me. If Tesla opened up superchargers that would sway me even more to the 5.
I highly recommend the Ioniq 5. The ride quality felt like it was in Mercedes benz territory, which certainly isn’t the case with Tesla. But if you can wait, then wait it out. I heard that Ioniq production is really ramping up and you won’t be forced to pay the high dealer markups once inventory picks up.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:34 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
It's really not that massive. It's just the Tesla only comes as a pretty much loaded option.

Tesla is $59,000, 330 optimistic EPA range, or 318 claimed non-EPA range for $61,000 for the dubs.
Ioniq 5 Limited is 244 claimed non-EPA range for $54,500 on standard dubs.

The prices aren't that far apart really. Real world range is probably less than the ~70-80 claimed but unless Hyundai is really sandbagging that's advantage Tesla on range. Dealer markup. Nothing really local but I could a few dealers and one was upfront on price which I always appreciate. $13,000 over MSRP. That did include PPF which if you're too lazy to do it yourself does cost around $1,200 or so front bumper and partial hood/fenders.

If you don't need all the options then it's advantage Hyundai. While Hyundai is better than most. SEL is an extra $2,250 for "Full LED" headlights (LED high beams probably), vinyl seats, wireless phone charger, RGBs lights on the interior, and adaptive cruise control, and the power liftgate. Might be worth it to me depending on how the vinyl seats are versus the base SE cloth, the full LED headlights, wireless charger and adaptive cruise are both nifty things but I could do without, don't care at all about the RGBs or the power liftgate myself. I'd look at it. For $2,250 maybe it's worth it depending on how the cloth seats and not-full LED headlights are on the SE. I wouldn't pay for the Limited which is nearly $5,000. It gets you the glass roof, the Bose sound system which is apparently pretty crap in general but that still might be much better than the cheaper models), bunch of heads up display, blind-zone cameras, the reclining seats and sliding center console. None of that stuff is really that interesting to me to pay $5,000 so it's an easy skip on the Hyundai whereas on the Tesla you don't get the option Same for AWD. I'd probably test that. AWD is pretty much totally useless where I live. I haven't gone boarding in years to where I'd really care about getting up to Tahoe in the winter where it would be of some use... so really it's just whether or not $3,500 is worth it for faster acceleration at the cost of range or not. I'd have to do some thinking on that one.

Last edited by Malloric; 01-17-2022 at 02:05 AM..

Old 01-17-2022, 09:12 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
Yep you’re correct..it’s a massive MSRP difference especially since the Ioniq is eligible for the tax credit. But in my case, the dealership I went to tacked on various markups for an ioniq SE AWD model which resulted in an eye popping $60k. And this goes back to why I dislike the legacy dealership model…they sometimes tack things on like paint protection and VIN etching for an exorbitant price, on top of the low inventory markups.

The dealer was willing to go down to $55k, which effectively makes it $47.5k after the tax credit. So that’s a $12k advantage over the current Y price. But the Tesla is a larger vehicle with a more powerful drivetrain. It also packs some additional features such as premium sound and power passenger seat (the Ioniq I looked at only had power drivers seat).

I agree that Hyundai did a fantastic job but I feel that they are getting undermined by their dealers.

Yea, I guess deal markup does make up for a lot of the difference though I suppose if it weren't for the supply chain issues, the markups might not have been as severe or potentially might have resulted in transaction prices lower than MSRP. Shame to hear what the dealerships are doing.

The Tesla is the larger vehicle, but the Ioniq 5 has the longer wheelbase and doesn't have a sloped roof, so I think truly functional space is probably pretty similar.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:04 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
The Tesla is the larger vehicle, but the Ioniq 5 has the longer wheelbase and doesn't have a sloped roof, so I think truly functional space is probably pretty similar.
The EPA doesn't tabulate passenger volume for SUV's, but the Ioniq 5 is 9.8% more passenger volume than the Tesla Model 3. So if the Model Y has 10% more passenger volume than the Model 3, the Ioniq 5 and the Model Y are about the same.

I don't know if anyone can find that stat documented for Teslas.

Old 01-17-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Yea, I guess deal markup does make up for a lot of the difference though I suppose if it weren't for the supply chain issues, the markups might not have been as severe or potentially might have resulted in transaction prices lower than MSRP. Shame to hear what the dealerships are doing.

The ioniq5 has a long wheelbase but it’s utility still gets compromised by its relatively short overall length. The 5 inch length difference between the ioniq5 and the Y makes a difference in the cargo floor area with the seats up. This is an important consideration for those who regularly fit larger items such as baby strollers.

But if the Ioniq5 is the first ground up EV design for Hyundai, I feel very good about future EVs from the Ioniq line that will be a size or two bigger. I’m sure Hyundai will hit the larger size classes in the near future.

As much as I love Tesla, there isn’t really an ideal family car from their lineup. The Model Y might be a tad small for families of 4 and up, while the Model X is just too expensive for most people…$40k more than a Y, the difference being enough to get a minivan.

Old 01-17-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's really not that massive. It's just the Tesla only comes as a pretty much loaded option.

Tesla is $59,000, 330 optimistic EPA range, or 318 claimed non-EPA range for $61,000 for the dubs.
Ioniq 5 Limited is 244 claimed non-EPA range for $54,500 on standard dubs.

The prices aren't that far apart really. Real world range is probably less than the ~70-80 claimed but unless Hyundai is really sandbagging that's advantage Tesla on range. Dealer markup. Nothing really local but I could a few dealers and one was upfront on price which I always appreciate. $13,000 over MSRP. That did include PPF which if you're too lazy to do it yourself does cost around $1,200 or so front bumper and partial hood/fenders.

If you don't need all the options then it's advantage Hyundai. While Hyundai is better than most. SEL is an extra $2,250 for "Full LED" headlights (LED high beams probably), vinyl seats, wireless phone charger, RGBs lights on the interior, and adaptive cruise control, and the power liftgate. Might be worth it to me depending on how the vinyl seats are versus the base SE cloth, the full LED headlights, wireless charger and adaptive cruise are both nifty things but I could do without, don't care at all about the RGBs or the power liftgate myself. I'd look at it. For $2,250 maybe it's worth it depending on how the cloth seats and not-full LED headlights are on the SE. I wouldn't pay for the Limited which is nearly $5,000. It gets you the glass roof, the Bose sound system which is apparently pretty crap in general but that still might be much better than the cheaper models), bunch of heads up display, blind-zone cameras, the reclining seats and sliding center console. None of that stuff is really that interesting to me to pay $5,000 so it's an easy skip on the Hyundai whereas on the Tesla you don't get the option Same for AWD. I'd probably test that. AWD is pretty much totally useless where I live. I haven't gone boarding in years to where I'd really care about getting up to Tahoe in the winter where it would be of some use... so really it's just whether or not $3,500 is worth it for faster acceleration at the cost of range or not. I'd have to do some thinking on that one.
Yep, if we compare spec by spec then the Model Y isn’t really overpriced relative to the Ioniq.

This may sound crazy but I actually prefer the Ioniq5 over the BMW X5. The BMW’s laggy gasoline engine made it feel like a bygone era. Never knew I would place a Hyundai over the “ultimate driving machine”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla