Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2022, 02:09 PM

514 posts, read 439,751 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,
I'm a Tesla newbie, never driven one and don't know what all these alphabet (Model Y etc) models mean. Looking for the entry level Tesla for one person's use and need Autonomous driving feature. What're the prices for the model I'm looking for? Can this be purchased used? Like I said I'm a total newbie so I may not be asking the right questions. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 11:22 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,802,103 times
You really should do a bit of reading or YouTube viewing on Teslas before considering buying one. I have a Tesla Y (LR AWD) and a model 3 on order (SR).

For general use either a model Y or 3 would be just fine. LR (long range) or SR (standard range). Teslas are good for local use as well as travel. Wife and I have driven our model Y from AZ to Cape Cod and back. Easy ride.

I don't know what you mean by autonomous driving feature. There is auto pilot (which we use) or FSD (full self-driving, which it really isn't. Also $12K...).

Go on YouTube and look up those two models and watch some videos.

Rich

Old 04-15-2022, 07:53 AM

Thank you for the reply. Need it for commute to work and by autonomous mode I meant if one is returning from night shift and dozes off, will it be able to steer the car and keep driving until the driver wakes up or possibly keeps sleeping and car brings the driver home safely.

So driving range doesn't need to be long. Also what's the oldest model that would support autopilot? Will also watch videos etc to get a sense of what's it all about.

I also keep hearing that there's a long wait to get teslas..I assume this is for new models or someone buying brand new?

For used cars, one could simply look in the open market and buy from private sellers? Since Tesla doesn't have dealerships, assuming one could only buy used from private parties.

Old 04-15-2022, 01:29 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,389,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Thank you for the reply. Need it for commute to work and by autonomous mode I meant if one is returning from night shift and dozes off, will it be able to steer the car and keep driving until the driver wakes up or possibly keeps sleeping and car brings the driver home safely.

So driving range doesn't need to be long. Also what's the oldest model that would support autopilot? Will also watch videos etc to get a sense of what's it all about.

I also keep hearing that there's a long wait to get teslas..I assume this is for new models or someone buying brand new?

For used cars, one could simply look in the open market and buy from private sellers? Since Tesla doesn't have dealerships, assuming one could only buy used from private parties.
The oldest with autopilot would be a 2014 Model S's after Sept - after about Oct 2016 to get the full self driving hardware on S and X - all Model Y and 3s have autopilot with full self driving capability. But none of them will allow you to doze off and get home currently.

Tesla sells used vehicles - pick a model, go to existing inventory and on left asks for model and new or used - mostly newer and seem really expensive. One like my DWs is more than I paid new for it 4 years ago and one like mine is about $15K more than I paid new almost 3 years ago.

Old 04-16-2022, 11:42 PM

Thank you for your reply. It's been crazy to see the prices of used cars. Since may main purpose to look for Tesla is a situation where driver dozes off momentarily but Tesla takes over and keeps the car going and in its proper lane. Is this possible?

Also you mentioned that it cannot drive say from one point to another on its own, isn't that what self driving means? As I already mentioned that I'm a newbie on this topic so please excuse my ignorance. Thanks again!

Old 02-25-2023, 07:46 PM

8,578 posts, read 11,000,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Hello folks,
I'm a Tesla newbie, never driven one and don't know what all these alphabet (Model Y etc) models mean. Looking for the entry level Tesla for one person's use and need Autonomous driving feature. What're the prices for the model I'm looking for? Can this be purchased used? Like I said I'm a total newbie so I may not be asking the right questions. Thank you!
As for the "alphabet", if you take each model built, it spells "sexy".
I think somewhere along the line, the model "e" was renamed model "3".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla