Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 04:36 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,658,619 times

Advertisements

Ford just announced that starting in 2025 all models of their electric vehicles would have the Tesla Charge port (which they are calling NACS). And starting in 2024 Tesla will make available an adaptor so that Fords (only Fords?) can use the Tesla Charging Network.

I can't tell you how huge this could be. Caveat - If Ford makes it a hugely expensive option like $5K it will dampen this a bit.

I assume Ford will have 2 chargers just like the Japanese version of Ariya has two (CHADEMO one side, CCS on the other).

Ford now has a huge advantage over other non-Tesla automakers. I think they will eventually have to offer the same deal.

And this is a huge blow to companies like EV America and Charge Point. Why would anyone use their chargers if they can use Tesla's? The Supercharger Network is about to become America's gas station.

I also think if the other manufacturer's crumble like I suspect they will, the Feds will eventually have to recognize NACS as a standard. Maybe even eventually THE standard.

I suspect Ford and Tesla have been working on this for a while, and that is why the Magic Dock program stalled after 10 chargers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 07:08 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I wonder if this will hurt Tesla sales, especially the cybertruck. If I am ever in the market for a truck, I’d absolutely choose the Lightning over that monstrosity if it’s compatible with the Supercharger network.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-25-2023, 08:51 PM

I think it's bound to hurt Tesla sales in the short term as that was one of the reasons some people bought Teslas. But as many people have said Tesla expects energy to be bigger than auto.

I think this is going to have huge repercussions.

Tesla sells essentially one kind of car. You better love the minimalist "no buttons" interior or you are out of luck. It's the 2020's version of Ford's "You can have any color you want as long as it's black".

I have 2 electric cars. Neither one is a Tesla. Part of the reason is the cost. But part of it is the driving environment. If there was a Model Y with a more standard dashboard and controls, I'd probably own one. So if losing their moat with charging forces Elon (and I know it's Elon's fascination with RoboTaxis driving this) to produce a more standard version Model Y ("Model Y - Boomer Edition), that probably a good thing.

Old 05-26-2023, 06:51 AM

1,064 posts, read 622,806 times
I don’t think this hurts Tesla in selling cars in the long run. Tesla has solved the largest issue, which is creating a manufacturing process that keeps costs down to ensure long term profitability. The problem with all the other legacy manufacturers are that they have huge debt loads that make it difficult to accelerate the investments they should be making now to catch up to Tesla. Look at how much money Ford loses on each EV. Further, the US and German companies are stuck with pension obligations, etc. Tesla will set another high bar once they open up the plant in Mexico, which will be yet another evolution in the manufacturing process that will drive prices down even further.

What would be interesting to see is if Tesla gets a couple more partnerships lined up like the Ford deal and then CCS gets forced out. If I was at Tesla, I would try to get a deal with BYD to push conversion in China/APAC and then get Mercedes for the niche/luxury market.

Old 05-26-2023, 09:30 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
The long-term issue is that chargers don't make any economic sense but sure help sell cars. If Tesla opens up their charging network to other makes, it no longer has the incentive to continue to dump money into the charging network. To me the most likely explanation is grifting. They think that EVs are at a saturation point where they can have the government take over the costs of the chargers, but in order to be let at the government pork they need to have an open network or else EA, EVgo et al will get it all.

Old 05-26-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The long-term issue is that chargers don't make any economic sense but sure help sell cars. If Tesla opens up their charging network to other makes, it no longer has the incentive to continue to dump money into the charging network. To me the most likely explanation is grifting. They think that EVs are at a saturation point where they can have the government take over the costs of the chargers, but in order to be let at the government pork they need to have an open network or else EA, EVgo et al will get it all.
Uh..... ok

Old 05-26-2023, 11:15 PM

Ford CEO Jim Farley in an interview with CNBC that the deal had been talked about for years, but the sticking point had been whether Ford users would use the Tesla app or the Ford App. Farley said using the Tesla App was a deal-breaker.

So now everything operates thru the Ford App. And I assume the Ford/Tesla guys will make it as seamless as possible. I suspect it will be pretty smooth. I think Ford already had plug and charge working.

I also had the impression (though again not stated directly) that Ford current EV owners would get the adaptor free, and that the port would be standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd23850h9zc

Old 05-27-2023, 01:29 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I wonder if this will hurt Tesla sales, especially the cybertruck. If I am ever in the market for a truck, I’d absolutely choose the Lightning over that monstrosity if it’s compatible with the Supercharger network.
Really, I thought it was weird at first but now I kind of like the idea/look of the cybertruck. I have one on order. Also not sure about Ford's Blue Cruise that is somewhat like Tesla Autopilot.

Old 05-27-2023, 04:12 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
This video shows the difference between Tesla and CCS. The Tesla system is certainly more slim and easier to use.

Old 05-27-2023, 04:42 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
It's an interesting development. It's only a solution for Ford, but having any car be able to visit any charging station would be a huge leap forward. I believe that in Europe, Tesla was forced to use the CCS charging interface, so over there, any car can use any public charger - much more sensible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla