Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:12 AM

194 posts, read 492,203 times

Advertisements

A thread for anyone who loves Texas and above all, those of us who love it and aren't quite there yet. This is a place to discuss what we love about Texas, where in particular and our hopes for getting there. What keeps us going back? What are our favourite things about it, and just general sweet talk and appraisal. Welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 08:31 AM

779 posts, read 2,248,296 times
What a great idea for a thread, senoritacharlene! It all started in the year 2003. My brother played soccer for a competitive team here in Oklahoma. Labor Day Weekend in September up to 2006, his team would participate in soccer tournaments in Plano, Texas. We would go as a family, watch good soccer, and enjoy and tour the city with friends. That very first time I want to Plano, I was in LOVE! From 2003-2006, at each tournament, I told my parents that I would someday move our here and continue on with my life. For some reason, I did not get to visit Texas in 2007. I guess I was budy that year but I recently visited Dallas this summer for a little while and just about cried driving back to Oklahoma. I initially went this year because I heard about a school in Farmers Branch, called Brookhaven College. I wanted to study to become an automotive technician due to my passion for cars. The school was booked before summer began and I ended up getting accepted to a four year university in Oklahoma. I also received a job at a Honda dealer. I was excited but would have been more excited if this chain of event occurred in Dallas. The automotive program in Oklahoma is two years and I am expected to graduated in mid August of 2010. My plan is to relocate to Dallas the next morning after graduation. That is how bad I want to get back. I also plan to transfer to a Honda dealer in Dallas before I relocate, that way I have a job. I also have an idea of an apt I would like to live at as well. I have my plan, all I have to do is stay focused, get done, and make my dreams into a reality for the second decade of this new millenium.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:38 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,282,915 times
Things I love about Texas: (even though I'm not away from the state)

** winters, snow, ice, and the temperatures when they're in the 30s

** pouring down rain that lasts for a long time (without severity)

** long-range views (I don't like to be enclosed and am grateful that I can see for miles and miles from my back door).

** from my back door, viewing the cattle and/or horses

** rural areas without hustle and bustle

** wildflowers and blossoming fruit trees

** seeing deer, raccoons, armadillos, road runners, opossums, and fireflies

** running and swimming with the dogs at the lake when not a soul is in sight ~ only noise may be of nature (wind rustling leaves, birds chirping, dogs splashing in the water) or the occasional sound of a motor boat

** clean country air

** leaves turning in autumn

** cool Spring days when the leaves are coming out and are in every shade of green imaginable

** stunning sunrises and sunsets especially in the country

** sitting in the backyard on a clear night with the stars shining brightly, something very soothing to the soul

** Mr. Moon when he is so full and bright

** satisfaction that I can purchase all I need in my rural country town and never having to face the mobs at Wal*Mart or worse

Old 10-12-2008, 08:47 AM

Thanks for shedding some light as to how your obsession started. Mine began in February 2007 (I just realised that I wrote 2006 in the other thread - got confused). I started working at my current job and was told that I would be spending 2 weeks in Texas that coming March. I didnt really know much about it at that point, so I looked up all the cities I would be going to with my boss on the internet (Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio). As soon as I saw pictures of them all, my interest peaked, and sure enough one month later I was there. The clinching point for me was similar to how you feel, autotech - the Dallas skyline. I dont know why, as Houston has a nice skyline too, but there's just something about that Dallas skyline that makes me smile and feel at home. As soppy as it sounds, I always cry when I have to leave Texas, and cannot wait to eventually live out there. All of my free time is spent thinking about my time there and about how and when Im going to arrive. August 2010 seems a long way off, (Im actually aiming for June 2010 as there's a course that starts then that I want to be a part of) but Im sure the time will come around soon enough. Just think, whichever one of us gets there last, we can go out and celebrate that day! Until then, we will have to make do with random postings about things we love about it. Not only will it help pass the time, but it will keep us smiling until then!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:48 AM

779 posts, read 2,248,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Things I love about Texas: (even though I'm not away from the state)

** winters, snow, ice, and the temperatures when they're in the 30s

** pouring down rain that lasts for a long time (without severity)

** long-range views (I don't like to be enclosed and am grateful that I can see for miles and miles from my back door).

** rural areas without hustle and bustle

** wildflowers and blossoming fruit trees

** seeing deer, raccoons, armadillos, road runners, opossums, and fireflies

** running and swimming with the dogs at the lake when not a soul is in sight ~ only noise may be of nature (wind rustling leaves, birds chirping, dogs splashing in the water) or the occasional sound of a motor boat

** clean country air

** leaves turning in autumn

** cool Spring days when the leaves are coming out and are in every shade of green imaginable

** stunning sunrises and sunsets especially in the country

** sitting in the backyard on a clear night with the stars shining brightly, something very soothing to the soul

** Mr. Moon when he is so full and bright

** satisfaction that I can purchase all I need in my rural country town and never having to face the mobs at Wal*Mart or worse
Sounds like you live in a perfect rural area in Texas. Nice descriptions.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:50 AM

Welcome Canine*Castle! Thanks for your input! You may think that autotech and I are rather obsessed, but hey, that's what this thread is about!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senoritacharlene View Post
Thanks for shedding some light as to how your obsession started. Mine began in February 2007 (I just realised that I wrote 2006 in the other thread - got confused). I started working at my current job and was told that I would be spending 2 weeks in Texas that coming March.

The clinching point for me was similar to how you feel, autotech - the Dallas skyline. I dont know why, as Houston has a nice skyline too, but there's just something about that Dallas skyline that makes me smile and feel at home. As soppy as it sounds, I always cry when I have to leave Texas, and cannot wait to eventually live out there.
I just want to add, by the way, that I do travel to Texas several times per year, so it's not like Im obsessing over a one time visit, incase anyone thought I was extra strange...

Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Can I come live with you?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
Sounds like you live in a perfect rural area in Texas. Nice descriptions.
It's almost perfect, but getting a little too populated for me. When I retire, more rural I shall seek.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senoritacharlene View Post
Welcome Canine*Castle! Thanks for your input! You may think that autotech and I are rather obsessed, but hey, that's what this thread is about!
I don't think either of you are obsessed. We all have our loves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas