Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 08:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times

Advertisements

Texas Teachers Invest $500M In Shopping Mall Company - cbs11tv.com (http://cbs11tv.com/education/General.Growth.Properties.2.1799994.html - broken link)

admittedly there is little specific info but why do I get the impression that the better properties are being kept out of this deal to be spun into a new corporation after bankruptcy--
so I wonder if we are going to get much return on this investment--especially if the properties the Teachers' fund is getting in its investment deal are ones in areas of the country still struggling with higher employment and lack of consumer spending....

IF they were all in Texas--then it would not be so bad--but if the economy slowdown continues for 2 years it does not seem this will bounce back too soon...

the TRS has had some borderline investments because it was trying to maximize return on its funds--they hired some new investment gurus (younger/more aggressive in strategy) who apparently were into the CDSs that tanked a couple of years ago
and now this...
chunk of my retirement fund even though compared to total funds available it is probably pretty small--
Texas teachers retirement is one of the top 5 in the US I believe--
which is why the Legislature would love to get its hands on control of it...
solve alot of TX's problems and none of the teachers'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 8,754 times
Thanks for the post. It's not just retirees, but those of us who WANT to retire at some point. I am nearing retirement and I don't like the looks of this at all. I am very nervous about what will happen to our retirement.

You bet the legislators would love to get their hands on it...and in particular, our governor. He scares me to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: