Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better for African-Americans?
Houston 38 64.41%
Dallas 21 35.59%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:10 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,850,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
If your in the medical or oil and gas business then Houston would be your best bet. Overall its Dallas Fort Worth because of the many other fields you can get into there. Having said that Houston has the best nightlife for AA hands down, but DFW has more family oriented things to do and the churches are better in DFW.
lol..."the churches are better"? what is that even supposed to mean? every individual has something different they're looking for in a church home

Old 07-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Of course Houston is going to have it's segregated suburb (The Woodlands...and what metro area doesn't??), but it's still a lot more integrated than DFW's suburbs.
and i wouldn't even say that the woodlands is all that segregated. it just don't think it's really on the radar of most black folks. especially considering how it's so far the city

Old 07-20-2010, 02:22 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,968 times
Dallas is pretty segregated. Most of the Blacks live in Oak Cliff and South Dallas.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:27 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Not disagreeing with you here. Overall, DFW is a LOT more segregated than Houston.

The Dallas posters are just going to have to accept that Houston is a much better city for African-Americans if they plan to move to Texas.
Are you Black?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,844,320 times
Please the only posters that are commenting on this are Houstonians and a poster that seems have a problem with Dallas in general and a bigger problem with the DFW black community. I don't conform to ignorance and never will. Yes this non progressive, old south mentality, country ass Negro is from Fort Worth, Texas will be graduating from Texas A&M in a year. So whoop to that!!! I don't have time for this foolishness any longer.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Please the only posters that are commenting on this are Houstonians and a poster that seems have a problem with Dallas in general and a bigger problem with the DFW black community. I don't conform to ignorance and never will. Yes this non progressive, old south mentality, country ass Negro is from Fort Worth, Texas will be graduating from Texas A&M in a year. So whoop to that!!! I don't have time for this foolishness any longer.
well i'm neither

Old 07-20-2010, 04:05 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well i'm neither
Neither am I

Old 07-20-2010, 04:10 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,972,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
k_s, in my honest opinion I don't think these two cities should go for being a "black mecca" or "Asian mecca" or "Latino mecca" because that connotation while helpful to some groups can be harmful as well when people are relocating and apply their knowledge of terminology when wanting a diverse city that kind of nickname doesn't help out.

If Minneapolis was called "European mecca" I would never move there on first instinct because as a person who likes diversity, that name in itself applies to little diversity.

Of course, I know better and normally I do look up the demographics, but many people don't and go off what they hear.

Nicknames like those have their good moments, but also their harmful moments too. Plus, IMHO it kind of makes a city sound segregated somehow.

In summary, I agree with your post, but I just wanted to go more in depth on it.
Considering most cities in the US are majority white I don't see the problem with minorities having a few cities where they actually are the majority.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Considering most cities in the US are majority white I don't see the problem with minorities having a few cities where they actually are the majority.
off the top of my head, i can't think of one single major u.s. city that isn't majority white. except for maybe miami and san antonio??

Old 07-20-2010, 04:48 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
off the top of my head, i can't think of one single major u.s. city that isn't majority white. except for maybe miami and san antonio??
City wise or by metropolitan area?

4 major metropolitan areas aren't majority white.

Houston is one of those 4.

Los Angeles is another.

Miami is another.

San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose is the last one of the four.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas