Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better for African-Americans?
Houston 38 64.41%
Dallas 21 35.59%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 PM

882 posts, read 2,246,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
who's to say that one could have been accepted to any of the latter three but chose to attend TSU?
Oh yes, because they are all held in the same reguard. All are top tier universities that hold a very prestigious status.

Not a knock on TSU or HBCUs, but come on, TSU is like what the 4th(5th?, 6th?, 7th?) best university in the city, at best .

Old 07-21-2010, 07:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,850,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Oh yes, because they are all held in the same reguard. All are top tier universities that hold a very prestigious status.

Not a knock on TSU or HBCUs, but come on, TSU is like what the 4th(5th?, 6th?, 7th?) best university in the city, at best .
so? it's also an icon of the black community in houston with a respectable history. choosing a college is not always about how it compares with other institutions

Old 07-21-2010, 08:23 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I have a unique situation. College student and parents divorced. Had the choice of finding a job in Houston or Dallas for the summer. My Dallas job offer called me first, so I'm up here. And I was just in North Irving last week, visiting an old friend from high school when I went to school up here for a couple of years. I felt so out of place when we went in for a bite to eat at Chik-Fil-A. Only cookie in a crowd of white. She even asked me if I felt out of place.
Really? What Chik-Fil-A?

Scareface a future DFW resident????

Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Really? What Chik-Fil-A?

Scareface a future DFW resident????
Maybe for one semester...maybe . I love DFW though. I spent two and a half years of high school here (before finishing my last year back at my original high school in the Houston area) and even came back for Senior Prom and made close friends in the process.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:03 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Maybe for one semester...maybe . I love DFW though. I spent two and a half years of high school here (before finishing my last year back at my original high school in the Houston area) and even came back for Senior Prom and made close friends in the process.
^ OK. Welcome back, for awhile at least.

On a side note, you should be studying the law. From the posts of yours I've read on these forums, you seem to be a tenacious debator.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 PM

882 posts, read 2,246,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
so? it's also an icon of the black community in houston with a respectable history. choosing a college is not always about how it compares with other institutions
Choosing a college should be more about the quality of education, not about wether it has a respectable history or is an icon. And my point is that TSU's quality of educations isn't exactly stellar. Get it now?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:08 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
^ OK. Welcome back, for awhile at least.

On a side note, you should be studying the law. From the posts of yours I've read on these forums, you seem to be a tenacious debator.
Thought about it, but Accounting is my all. Comes so easily and naturally for me. So, if you need help on those tax returns, hit me up!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:

Rice is top 20 and UH is no where close and I left Rice for UH. Call me crazy but I didn't feel I was going anywhere at Rice. I was doing okay academically, but I was drinking way too much, and having too much fun in those darn dorms, but at the same time I didn't feel that I fit in.

UH seemed more real for me. My GPA dropped a bit at UH somehow, but I liked it more. I think I like bigger campuses. Maybe I should have transferred to UT

Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Choosing a college should be more about the quality of education, not about wether it has a respectable history or is an icon. And my point is that TSU's quality of educations isn't exactly stellar. Get it now?
Sad but true.

As far as which is the stronger Black community? Tie. Both Houston and Dallas attracts all class of Black Americans. The Texas two usually get them from California and Midwest. Atlanta gets them from the East Coast as well as the Midwest.

That said, Houston is seen as the more popular city for Blacks.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,850,558 times
Quote:
the fact of the matter is that there's no reason for you to down the university and it's students like that. especially considering the fact that we have several members on this forum who attend TSU. and if i were one of them, i would take your comments as disrespectful

you can state facts, but save the smart remarks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas