Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:32 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Folks in Abilene love the military and the military loves Abilene.
The last half of 2006 is the last time I was in Abilene, between jobs and getting mom settled into an assisted living home. Some mornings I would hear the rumble of a B1 bomber... Nothing like the rumble of a B1 bomber in the morning to start your day with a feeling of security.

When I was a kid there were sonic booms almost daily, trainers from Big Spring would frequently come roaring overhead. As a military brat I realized a military installation is the one place I always feel 'at home'. But mom has since moved on to the other side of the boom and Abilene is not the place for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:09 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
The last half of 2006 is the last time I was in Abilene, between jobs and getting mom settled into an assisted living home. Some mornings I would hear the rumble of a B1 bomber... Nothing like the rumble of a B1 bomber in the morning to start your day with a feeling of security.

When I was a kid there were sonic booms almost daily, trainers from Big Spring would frequently come roaring overhead. As a military brat I realized a military installation is the one place I always feel 'at home'. But mom has since moved on to the other side of the boom and Abilene is not the place for me.
My father flew B47s and B52s. Isn't Abilene still the home of the B1? I still have not adjusted to not having SAC around anymore. Loved the big sign going onto the base "SAC: Peace is our profession."

I graduated from Abilene High and my sister graduated from Cooper. I really rubbed it in when AHS won state in football.

Warbirds! heeheehee

Old 08-06-2010, 01:35 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Isn't Abilene still the home of the B1?
Yep, Dyess AFB is still the home of the B-1. All of the initial B-1 flight training is completed at Dyess as well. There is a smaller fleet of B-1's at Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota but Dyess still has the majority of the the B-1 fleet. There's also a couple of C-130 Airlift squadrons at Dyess.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:24 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,343 times
Abilene is a nice city. You won't find many cities with friendlier or kinder people. It might be a little stifling at times if you're not particularly religious or not politically conservative, though. Otherwise, it's a nice place to live. My cousins who live there like it a lot.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:53 PM

26 posts, read 111,416 times
I can't wait to see the B-1 bombers flying overhead! Speaking of flying, has anyone ever flown into the regional airport (ABI)?

Old 08-08-2010, 07:20 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Not to disappoint but you're not going to be seeing those B-1's, coming-going or passing by. The runway is on the west side of the base and runs north/south.

ABI is a nice enough airport for the few flights a day it handles. That runway also runs north/south so you won't be seeing those jets coming or going either.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Not to disappoint but you're not going to be seeing those B-1's, coming-going or passing by. The runway is on the west side of the base and runs north/south.

ABI is a nice enough airport for the few flights a day it handles. That runway also runs north/south so you won't be seeing those jets coming or going either.
Well that's a bummer! I've never seen a B-1 flying before. As for ABI, that's where I will be working. I'm an A&P mechanic.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:36 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastsailor View Post
Well that's a bummer! I've never seen a B-1 flying before. As for ABI, that's where I will be working. I'm an A&P mechanic.
The best way to see the B-1's fly is to attend the annual "Big Country Appreciation Day" airshow they have every year at Dyess in the Spring. It's free and open to the public. They fly the B-1's, C-130's, and many other military and civilian aircraft at the airshow every year. This year was a great one since the USAF Thunderbirds were in town for the airshow (they come about every 4 or 5 years). If you want to see a B-1 up close, check out "Linear Air Park" along the main road into Dyess near the entrance gate. I think it's open year-round. The park has many retired aircraft, from WWII to the present day. They recently added the very first B-1 bomber that flew at Dyess to the park.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
The best way to see the B-1's fly is to attend the annual "Big Country Appreciation Day" airshow they have every year at Dyess in the Spring. It's free and open to the public. They fly the B-1's, C-130's, and many other military and civilian aircraft at the airshow every year. This year was a great one since the USAF Thunderbirds were in town for the airshow (they come about every 4 or 5 years). If you want to see a B-1 up close, check out "Linear Air Park" along the main road into Dyess near the entrance gate. I think it's open year-round. The park has many retired aircraft, from WWII to the present day. They recently added the very first B-1 bomber that flew at Dyess to the park.
Yeah, I'll check out that out for sure. I still stop and look at every plane that flies overhead!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM

148 posts, read 358,464 times
If you live on the far west side of town, you will see B-1's. My wife and I frequently drive down Arnold Blvd just to watch them. There is also a good view from Tye or from 707 as it goes around the back of the base.

I live in Northeast Abilene, near the new WalMart and the new Lowes. We are right under the flight path of the Abilene Regional Airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas