Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,636,398 times

Advertisements

There is another very interesting article in the Waco Tribune-Herald today about developer Rick Sheldons dream for Waco. The Video is marvelous IMO, but I think 2015 is too soon for this to happen...2020 yes!

Waco is notorious for its "pipe dreams", but I think we actually have a developer who is willing to deliver on this one.

Developer shows off vision of Waco in 2015 (http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/11/19/11192008waccouncilsheldon.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 02:28 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,969,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
There is another very interesting article in the Waco Tribune-Herald today about developer Rick Sheldons dream for Waco. The Video is marvelous IMO, but I think 2015 is too soon for this to happen...2020 yes!

Waco is notorious for its "pipe dreams", but I think we actually have a developer who is willing to deliver on this one.

Developer shows off vision of Waco in 2015 (http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/11/19/11192008waccouncilsheldon.html - broken link)
Great Video, hope the city and the Developer can pull it off. Anything to better Texas.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 7 days ago)

52,715 posts, read 48,024,392 times
Thumbs up Three Thumbs Up

I really enjoyed the video very much. That's vision at its best. It's quite ambitious. From the looks of things, they can probably complete some of these projects by 2015, and it's very doable. I got a real kick out of the "BearDome", but it would have been real nice to have it be an outdoor football stadium. Floyd Casey Stadium does need to be replaced, so the new facility near the riverfront would be fantastic. And I-35's new bridge idea fits the scene perfectly. Do any of you think that once this project does get done, can downtown's skyline see a few more high-rises to complement the Alico Building?? Thoughts??

Old 11-19-2008, 05:12 PM

I have always wanted to see a couple of more buildings in downtown close to ALICOS height (22 stories). Years ago there was talk of a 17 story building but it never got built, that was mid 80s and right before the OIL crash, so that might be why it never got built. If I am not mistaken I think there is a height limit, no building can be taller than ALICO. I may be mistaken though. If things go as planned on that "vision", I wouldnt be surprised to see a few buildings in the 15-20 story range built.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:54 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,950,812 times
Quote:

It's good to have dreams, but the UNDEFEATED Baylor Bears?

Seriously though; it's always good to have these types of ideas floating around. I hope Waco make's it a reality.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,391,218 times
being so centrally located, the "crossroads" of Texas, and between DFW and Austin, there is no doubt that Waco has tons of potential.....the brand new Hillcrest Hospital is proof, and of course the continued sprawl of Scott & White. Waco is underappreciated.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 7 days ago)

52,715 posts, read 48,024,392 times
And let's not forget the Brazos River. Sheldon has great ideas for the river area, including a park. The Bridgeview complex will include a resort and I can't wait to see the up-close plans. And they're planning to preserve the Chisholm Trail bridge, too.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
And let's not forget the Brazos River. Sheldon has great ideas for the river area, including a park. The Bridgeview complex will include a resort and I can't wait to see the up-close plans. And they're planning to preserve the Chisholm Trail bridge, too.

I just hope even half of that becomes reality. If you are familiar with Waco politics, then you know that someone will try and screw it up. I think we finally have a pro-growth city council and alot of the "old" mentality will fade out.
Also, the citizens of Waco need to be more positive about these ideas. People in Waco are always moaning and groaning that theres "nothing to do here", well now we have someone who wants to bring things here, and all these things will no doubt bring jobs, and a better image of the city.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:02 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,251,326 times
Quote:
I just hope even half of that becomes reality. If you are familiar with Waco politics, then you know that someone will try and screw it up. I think we finally have a pro-growth city council and alot of the "old" mentality will fade out.
Also, the citizens of Waco need to be more positive about these ideas. People in Waco are always moaning and groaning that theres "nothing to do here", well now we have someone who wants to bring things here, and all these things will no doubt bring jobs, and a better image of the city.
I think it will happen. Baylor is already expanding, the Mammoth museum is already being constructed,so is the developments downtown. Once these places get up and running, it's going to draw in more business.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think it will happen. Baylor is already expanding, the Mammoth museum is already being constructed,so is the developments downtown. Once these places get up and running, it's going to draw in more business.

I think once the ones that are under construction now finish and open and people see what positives it is bringing, then people will say, "hey this might work". Hopefully after 55 years of decline Waco will finally rebound and become SOMETHING SPECIAL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas