Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times

Advertisements

lol, it was how we were raised
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
This brings up a really good point. I was raised to be friendly and polite. However, when we moved to Texas, how I interacted with people was greatly influenced by how people here interacted with each other. I moved from California, and it was much more openly warm and friendly here. This environment changed how we acted...it's subconscious on many levels, but I think many people morph into their environments a bit. So if you are up north and everyone's acting like a turd, you might wind up doing it, too.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:18 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
I dont really think they are. People out west are very friendly too. Southerners tend to be nicer than northerners, but people from the Mountain States are the nicest (I think).

Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,760,036 times
Quote:
Same here.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This brings up a really good point. I was raised to be friendly and polite. However, when we moved to Texas, how I interacted with people was greatly influenced by how people here interacted with each other. I moved from California, and it was much more openly warm and friendly here. This environment changed how we acted...it's subconscious on many levels, but I think many people morph into their environments a bit. So if you are up north and everyone's acting like a turd, you might wind up doing it, too.
that's exactly what i'm saying... wherever you move your character will change a bit, accordingly. just move to a mexican border town and see what i'm talking about. you'll find yourself not trusting anyone and generally looking at others with a suspicious eye.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I agree about stereotyping the east coast, but I'd have more problem with it if it weren't true every time I go up there.

I actually asked some peeps up there the opposite question - why so distant and rude? I've asked different people from different states, and I was astonished to keep getting the same answers.

They said it's because everyone is so busy and rushed and that comes off as 'rude' because they don't have time for 'the niceties.' Given that I have spent a good part of my life working 80 to 100 hour weeks with a long commute, I thought that was a bullsh*t answer.

The second answer they gave is that they thought that being nice to people they don't care about or even don't like is 'two-faced.' I'm pretty sure that is called 'having manners.' Anyone can be nice to people they know and like.

Frankly, I think a lot of it has to do with compassion and courtesy fatigue from being packed together like sardines all the time. That and they have fewer sunny days (in many places up there) and it may be part of a mass seasonal affective disorder. And now it's just become acceptable, so why change?
when I was in San Francisco I had a lot of people run right in front of me almost hitting me without them saying an "excuse me" or "sorry". Then I would see them running as fast as they could to catch the Bart on their way to work. Not everyone was like this of course...but when you move to a competitive city where space is limited you'll notice things like this almost immediately.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
it could be... but then you'd also be saying that millions of New Yorkers were not raised with manners. That in itself is a stereotype if you think about it.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:34 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Urban myth
Huge urban myth. I will say this though. If you want unfriendliness, head to Washington DC. I really liked New Yorkers. Seemed cool and friendly to me. The midwest is also a very friendly area.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 AM

54 posts, read 111,993 times
Quote:
I actually asked some peeps up there the opposite question - why so distant and rude?
I think you have to realize that you're a product of where and how you grew up. Northerners just see themselves as normal, no-nonsense kind of folk, and in fact may see Southerners as superficial, cloying, and fake.

For what it's worth, from an international perspective, Americans generally have a reputation as being superficially very friendly or courteous no matter where they're from, although again, to many it seems over-the-top and insincere.

Last edited by zedster; 08-30-2010 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedster View Post
I think you have to realize that you're a product of where and how you grew up.
In this case, living in a huge city plays a major factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas