Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:25 PM

474 posts, read 905,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I completely disagree. Oddly enough, the voters usually are aware of problems with candidates' history or can easily find that information.

The reason it would provide better candidates is that they would have to talk about themselves. Granted there would be puffery, but they'd have to show us exactly what they have to offer, and what their vision for Texas is, beyond "That other guy is horrible! I'm not him! Don't look at the man behind the curtain!" which is what we're getting now.

I know that there are people who are truly addicted to negative campaigning and consequently think that there could not possibly be elections without it. But I think that's a fallacy that encourages candidates to take the easy way out of trying to get the voters to focus on how bad the other candidate or the other party so that those same voters don't take a good, long look at them.
I suppose we will just disagree. I think most voters are lazy as hell. They will NOT seek out the full story on a candidate. They need a catalyst to make them look.

Negative campaigning is often distasteful. And it can be downright stupid. But the likelihood of it happening also keeps candidates on their toes. They better know what skeletons exist. Meg Whitman was killed by the fact that her housekeeper was an illegal and Whitman didn't know about it for almost ten years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 01:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Interesting opinion piece on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: