Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,271 times

Advertisements

Im accepting a position in Harlingen and really hoping to leave near the beach. Would the commute from SPI be too much to Harlingen on a daily basis? What about the other communities near the beach (Port Isabel), would this be any better? Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 10:58 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,839,718 times
I wish I would have had the chance to move to the Rio Grande Valley to live...there were no good paying jobs in my field, or I too would be down there.

My sugestion would be take a place in Harlingen for a year/awhile and learn the lay of the land. Harlingen is a nice size town. The Island my not have the type of enviroment you're looking for, you may just want the convienence of going to the Island without living on the island.

SPI is pretty pricey. Oh well good luck and enjoy yourself.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:05 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,593,322 times
The drive will be about an hour each day and if you actually live on the beach you'd have to cross the bridge and sometimes it gets jam packed. I personally wouldn't recommend it. It'll probably be better to live in Harlingen or Los Fresnos (In between Harlingen and the beach), and visit the beach on weekends.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 AM

79 posts, read 394,951 times
Others are right, it's farther than it looks on the map (about an hour). If you want to be near the coast the newer developments in Laguna Vista are nice. If you don't mind being back from the coast a ways and want some space Bayview is even nicer

Old 10-25-2010, 10:30 PM

6 posts, read 13,103 times
I'd have to agree with the posts before me. Our first choice was to live in SPI, to be on the beach, but the local schools don't make it for us. (I have children age 5 and 6.) So we're planning to rent a nice place in Harlingen and buy a vacation condo in SPI. We can use the condo when it's vacant on weekends and holidays. Besides, who wants to be in SPI during the summer, anyway? Too many people and way too hot. CA is much more pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas