Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 11:25 AM

6 posts, read 16,843 times

Advertisements

The wife might be getting a professor position at Texas A&M in the fall of 2011. We currently live in the Chicago area. Although I've been to San Antonio while in the Air Force many years ago and my mother's relatives were mostly Texans (and still are), I'm not at all familiar with this area. What are the best places to live if, say, we also wanted to buy a home with a few acres of land for some hobby farming and horses?
What's the real estate situation like there.
Also, please tell me what this college town is like.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,554 times
Frankly, CS is about as grim a college town as you can get. It is sufficiently close to both Austin and Houston that many faculty will rather commute than live there. Restaurants are student oriented and mostly abysmal, and there is not much for grown-ups to do. That said, I think you have the right idea. The surrounding countryside especially on the Brazos River is pretty - green and rolling, and there are some quite charming more historic towns not too far away. Compared to Chicagoland, real estate is very cheap, and nice acreage with horse facilities can be had for 200K or less. Bryan, the immediately adjacent town to CS is older ( and poorer) and has a few charming streets of Victorian houses which can be had for a song- but resale might be difficult. And I would rather live there than in CS which mostly feels like a strip mall ridden lower-middle class subdivision of Houston.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:37 AM

474 posts, read 905,567 times
I disagree with Homeinatx. College Station is hardly "grim." Detroit is grim. I think College Station is probably a nicer college town than many you could move to like Norman OK or Auburn AL. College Station has a strong economy, and there is a lot going on. Not in an Austin or Houston sort of way, but it is active.

CS is not a cultural mecca. It reflects Texas A&M students and the people that work there - faculty and administration. Of course the population of 18-22 year olds is disproportionately high and you'll see lots of businesses that cater to that crowd.

But the population is well educated, friendly, politically conservative, and the socioeconomic status is fairly high. The university draws some culture (music, speakers, etc.) that a city the size of CS won't get. Lots of simple food, but there are some nice locally owned restaurants. The Hullabaloo Diner was featured on the Food Network's show Diners, Driveins, and Dives.

Housing costs are low, lower than Houston in most cases. I haven't shopped specifically for homes, but I think you could find a few acres without too much difficulty. Check out your drive to campus though. Some roads can become congested at the lights at certain times of day.

As for Bryan - it is rather different than CS though probably more blended with CS than it was years ago. Bryan has a higher minority population and less income as stated already.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:57 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
I disagree with Homeinatx. College Station is hardly "grim." Detroit is grim. I think College Station is probably a nicer college town than many you could move to like Norman OK or Auburn AL. College Station has a strong economy, and there is a lot going on. Not in an Austin or Houston sort of way, but it is active.

CS is not a cultural mecca. It reflects Texas A&M students and the people that work there - faculty and administration. Of course the population of 18-22 year olds is disproportionately high and you'll see lots of businesses that cater to that crowd.

But the population is well educated, friendly, politically conservative, and the socioeconomic status is fairly high. The university draws some culture (music, speakers, etc.) that a city the size of CS won't get. Lots of simple food, but there are some nice locally owned restaurants. The Hullabaloo Diner was featured on the Food Network's show Diners, Driveins, and Dives.

Housing costs are low, lower than Houston in most cases. I haven't shopped specifically for homes, but I think you could find a few acres without too much difficulty. Check out your drive to campus though. Some roads can become congested at the lights at certain times of day.

As for Bryan - it is rather different than CS though probably more blended with CS than it was years ago. Bryan has a higher minority population and less income as stated already.
I agree. It's a nice town. No its not Austin, or Houston, but it does have its own charm. And Aggie spirit is infectious. Also agree about the food. There are some really good local places. Most of them not expensive and very casual. However if you want something more upscale, there is also Chirstophers World Grill. It's a AAA 4 diamond restaurant. Had brunch there last Sunday and it is amazing.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:40 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I will be in CS this weekend. I go there several times a year. I think it is even "vibrant" in a way that only a college town with a large and growing enrollment can be. The stores are busy. Restaurants full of people. Definitely not Austin. Oh - and my trips are not tied to football games.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:16 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I will be in CS this weekend. I go there several times a year. I think it is even "vibrant" in a way that only a college town with a large and growing enrollment can be. The stores are busy. Restaurants full of people. Definitely not Austin. Oh - and my trips are not tied to football games.
To go there on a football weekend without going to the game.....you must like crowds and traffic!

Agree with most descriptions, and it will not be hard to find acreage around the town. Haven't lived there since 93, so have no current insight....but it isn't grim, and I don't even think most professors commute as the first response indicates.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:21 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
To go there on a football weekend without going to the game.....you must like crowds and traffic!

Agree with most descriptions, and it will not be hard to find acreage around the town. Haven't lived there since 93, so have no current insight....but it isn't grim, and I don't even think most professors commute as the first response indicates.
Well - you're right. I wouldn't normally choose to go on a football weekend without going to the game. The game is at 6 p.m. so I hope I can be on my way home before madness begins!

Old 11-05-2010, 08:42 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Well - you're right. I wouldn't normally choose to go on a football weekend without going to the game. The game is at 6 p.m. so I hope I can be on my way home before madness begins!
Good luck with that. LOL!!!

It's gonna be madness in CS all day Saturday.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,400 times
I am thinking of moving to CS as well, this site and thread is very informative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas