Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 03:37 PM

437 posts, read 926,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I don't know how I could have left out Jody Nix (who lives in Big Spring)..... he and his band are great! Nix and Asleep at the Wheel (Ray Benson) are among the few who are keeping the Bob Wills-style Texas swing alive.

Very true. I forgot to mention Joe Ely, Butch Hancock, Jimmie Dale Gilmore and Terry Allen.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:32 PM

307 posts, read 982,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
Definitely check out Lubbock. Population is between 200k and 300k, Super-nice people, conservative values and a thriving music scene. To quote a previous City-Data post by Mr.Football:

"Lubbock has a strong music scene (so much so that over the years the term 'Austin via Lubbock' was coined to describe the sheer number of acts that made it big in Texas that originated from the South Plains) and has over the years produced the likes of legends like: Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Waylon Jennings, John Denver, Pat Green, Mac Davis, Natalie Maines, Delbert McClinton and many others. There are plenty of bars and other nightclubs that cater to the University students."

I would add to his list Don Williams, Lee Ann Womack, Trent Willmon, Jimmy Dean, Aaron Watson, Cory Morrow, Jody Nix, Bob Wills, Richie McDonald and Tanya Tucker, who all have ties to the South Plains.
I will have to look into Lubbock definitely. I have been looking into the New Braunfels and Austin areas but am still undecided. Will check out Fort Worth area too. Been busy lately and am still undecided where to move but am still investigating, thanks for all your imput thus far.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:03 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,992,231 times
Someone should have at least given Round Top a mention (though someone did cite that general area of Texas): Round Top, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Round Top is known for its music festival, which includes quite serious, professional-class classical music.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 AM

679 posts, read 1,804,501 times
The Hill Country has a big music culture. Fredericksburg has some decent bars with music acts on Main St. like Crossroads, Hondo's and Silver Creek. I'm sure you know about Luckenbach, IMO it is a world-class venue and just a great hangout for musicians whether or not you are performing there. I have heard the Rockbox has a lot of Nashville/LA/NYC musicians who were tired of the big city scene. So there are ample opportunities to mingle and play here. Plus it is just a cool place to live!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 AM

24,035 posts, read 15,136,960 times
You want Round Top? You better have a heavy duty check book.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:10 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,907,293 times
Nacogdoches, texas has more clubs and bars then any city in east texas it's a college town.An is also a city that hold's festivals that bring in people from all around Blue berry fest,Nine flags fest,muticultral fest, and several others to present youre music and get regconize.The city is a population of 33,000 ppl and a univ with over 14,000 students.It has big city ammenities and very diversed.The city has nice parks and weather,also having biking and hiking trails and the largest azela garden there two.The downtown is red brick which is beatiful and a very hilly city which make it stand out from any other city.Willie Nelson is here all the time he say's this is his second home.He wrote a song about Nacogdoches in on one of his albums.John Wanye said Nac in numerous of westerns.
Basically to sum it up this is the best city for you out of all the cities mention,so come on an make this your home.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:04 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,276,291 times
Austin
FT Worth
San Antonio

That's my guesses....although Austin isn't all that Conservative.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,385,282 times
This is an old thread but having lived on both sides of the State, and outside the State, I'm led to believe that every mother's son in Texas is a guitar player and almost every Texas town has some sort of a musical background. Not too many years ago I would guess the number of Texas towns with a local Saturday night jamboree far out numbered those without one. In the larger towns that went wet, the jamborees were replaced by bars, nightclubs and honkytonks and the chicken wire around the stage was replaced by large male bouncers.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Nacogdoches, texas has more clubs and bars then any city in east texas it's a college town.An is also a city that hold's festivals that bring in people from all around Blue berry fest,Nine flags fest,muticultral fest, and several others to present youre music and get regconize.The city is a population of 33,000 ppl and a univ with over 14,000 students.It has big city ammenities and very diversed.The city has nice parks and weather,also having biking and hiking trails and the largest azela garden there two.The downtown is red brick which is beatiful and a very hilly city which make it stand out from any other city.Willie Nelson is here all the time he say's this is his second home.He wrote a song about Nacogdoches in on one of his albums.John Wanye said Nac in numerous of westerns.
Basically to sum it up this is the best city for you out of all the cities mention,so come on an make this your home.
Thanks for the recommendation! I will look into that! Sounds like a really nice place.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:32 PM

People keep saying that Austin isn't that conservative. It seems like the town would still be conservative relative to Texas and how Liberal Texas can be. Wouldn't that be the case. For instance how liberal is austin in comparison to cities in California or Denver/Boulder, CO and other Eastern Cities? Just curious for your perspective on this subject. If Texas is generally a very conservative state and some say Austin is liberal, what would be the veracity of Austin's liberality in comparison to famously Liberal cities and cultures? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas