Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:41 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times

Advertisements

I have noticed on my dying lawn in back little mud tubes mostly on the dead St. Augustine grass stems. I did some research on the Internet and found that these are subterranean termites. I confirmed this by breaking open the tubes and finding the little white critters. Luckily, they have not made it to my house and I just sprayed some Ortho Termite Killer on the lawn...next will be bait traps around the house.

My question: Do these type of termites also feed on the grass stems and are they killing my grass?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 10:39 AM

437 posts, read 2,238,992 times
I can't wait to hear the answer to that question. I will need to know about termits and ticks.

I didn't know they were white. Thanks for that.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:53 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
You know I have to wonder if the things your describing are not cinch bugs they love to eat grass esp in summer when grass is weakened by the heat and are also white. Termites stick to eating wood things from what I know about them and we lost some grass to cinch bugs before, Look up cinch bugs inline and see if thats what you have and let me know!

Good luck

Bound for Texas what do ya need to know about ticks here

Old 08-21-2006, 12:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I read the other day that there is some VERY CHEAP mulch on the market and you should avoid it. It is wood that is coming out of New Orleans and is full of termites that are very aggresive. The article stated that this mulch can be found at any lawn & garden, home improvement store so they suggested not buying any mulch that was priced extremely low. Seems they should have done something to prevent this. Let's see, does my Texas Homeowners Insurance cover termite damage? Bet not.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:31 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Default Fact or Myth?

I think by now everyone has probably been warned about the termite mulch. But, do a little research and you'll see that it's mostly an urban myth. Try googling something like "termites in mulch from Louisiana" and you'll have plenty to read.

As for termites in your yard, I really think it would be wise to invest in a pest control professional to determine whether or not you have termites. Better to stop them now then when they're already eating your house!

Old 08-21-2006, 12:53 PM

Ticks will get on your dog and suck the blood out of them causing them to be very sick. WE had two on our dog in 7 years. That is very good. A friend who lives in Texas told me you have them there.

They burrow down deep and it is very hard to get them out.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:21 PM

If you are living on a "city lot" or such and don't take your dog into the deep woods of East Texas you won't have to worry about ticks much. I have not seen a tick in years. You can treat your yard and I don't normally take my dogs out or to parks and such. When we first got our lake house in East Tx there were ticks. Now that we keep the yard treated and got rid of all overgrown brush and such we don't have any. I remember back in elem. school this kid had just moved to the U.S. from Vietnam and he came to school w/ this "bug" in a jar. He thought it was cool and did not know what it was nor did any of the other kids that looked at it. The minute I saw it IT'S A TICK!!!!!!! Even the teacher did not know what it was. Of course I was like, KILL IT!!! This "city girl" has spent plenty of time down w/ her grandparents in East Texas running all over the place w/ acres and acres at my disposal and had seen my fair share of ticks and knew that they are not "cute bugs".

Old 08-21-2006, 02:28 PM

Gee, the way you sound, they are bigggggg. Your scarying me. What do you put on your yard to keep them away?

Old 08-21-2006, 04:15 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Bound for Texas. I have a "city" house in San Antonio and there was a tick problem when we first moved here in the backyard and most regular yard treatments will get ticks. We also have aranch in the hill country outside of Boerne and we do tick checks on the boys when we have spent the day out there so I don't think ticks stop at the city limits. Ticks are not real hard to get off if ya have a good pair of tweezers but you have to remember to get the heads of them

Old 08-21-2006, 04:46 PM

There are two kinds of ticks that you will see the most of, seed ticks and dog ticks. The seed ticks are very small and brown (the size of the very end of your little finger on the end) while what we call dog ticks are a lighter brown and can get "big" (the size of smaller portion of your little finger after they have had a "full meal"). No, they don't stop at the city limits sign. What I mean is that if you live in a subdivision and your neighbors are not hoarding dogs/cats and never treat them and such or their yard and you treat your yard you should not have a problem. They can still be "inside" the "city limits" but not as bad as they are out in the fields & woods (unless your neighbor is the dog/cat hoarder). Growing up when I was at my grandparents after a day out in the woods we always looked for ticks on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: