Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:36 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,716 times

Advertisements

Hi...I'm originally from Texas, but have lived in Arizona since 2001, when I got out of the Army. My family still lives in Texas. I'm really wanting to move back and start over in my life.

So, I'm just curious on where is the best places to live there that has some good jobs there??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 06:37 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
what do you do for a living? if you are prior service, you will get preference points for civil service/DOD jobs. look at Lackland AFB or Ft Sam Houston in San Antonio, or Ft Hood in Killeen, NAS JRB in Ft Worth, or Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo. i skipped on Ft Bliss cuz El Paso, well, i wouldnt recommend it wholeheartedly....look at USA Jobs for all DOD postings. just an idea.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:26 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
I would check indeed.com for any particular type of job in any state or city or region. That is a search site that steps on all the local ads, monster, yahoo, and all the rest of the job boards. Gives you a real quick view of any area -- job wise. Second good look is craigslist.org for any area of interest. That can give you a quick idea of all the other jobs, and local housing, as well.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:35 PM

also just pick some cities in the areas where you are considering moving to-google their newspapers online..check out their classifieds....
but for civilian jobs in the military sector, CPOL or USA JOBS.....also, if you google the different bases/posts, some have a list of defense contractors that are doing business/have contracts at each military installation. this is how i have found my next job working for the US ARMY once again! HOOAH!

Old 07-14-2007, 10:17 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
If overall inexpensiveness and proximity to jobs is what you want, and you want to go into town to look for a job as opposed to landing one when you get here, San Antonio is overall your best bet. Large military presence there too.

Austin is great to visit, but the job market is not growing as fast as the population is and freeway traffic can be brutal because they've fought building more freeways to stay "small-town" only to stop being "small-town" anyway. So they're behind.

Utilities and taxes are generally a bit higher in Houston and Dallas (but you might make more, depending on what you're doing for work). Neither is a poor choice for getting a new start - I'm back home in Houston doing just that.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:41 PM

38 posts, read 191,028 times
Really depends on the job you're looking for. There are many areas in Texas that are growing and in need of workers. The Midland/Odessa area is a great example of this, heard that there is a shortage of something in the area of 2,000 employees. The new house market is taking off, I was just transfered here by my company to open up a new land surveying and engineering office. The weather here (except for this year from what I've been told) would be similar to the Phoenix area. If your looking for DOD jobs I would recommend the Ft.Worth area just based on the city itself not the job market. Ft.Worth is a fun city, good night life, entertainment, and eating. I might also mention Wichita Falls if your looking for DOD jobs and a more conservative city. Hope this helps.

Cyril

Old 07-15-2007, 04:24 AM

i dont think that Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls would have too many DOD jobs. I may be wrong. It's just not that big. Oh i forgot another base-DYESS AFB in Abilene and NAS JRB Carswell Ft Worth. once again, not very big. the majority of DOD jobs or defense contractor jobs will be found in Ft Hood, Ft Bliss, Lackland AFB, Ft Sam Houston, Brooke Army Medical Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerliryc View Post
Really depends on the job you're looking for. There are many areas in Texas that are growing and in need of workers. The Midland/Odessa area is a great example of this, heard that there is a shortage of something in the area of 2,000 employees. The new house market is taking off, I was just transfered here by my company to open up a new land surveying and engineering office. The weather here (except for this year from what I've been told) would be similar to the Phoenix area. If your looking for DOD jobs I would recommend the Ft.Worth area just based on the city itself not the job market. Ft.Worth is a fun city, good night life, entertainment, and eating. I might also mention Wichita Falls if your looking for DOD jobs and a more conservative city. Hope this helps.

Cyril

Old 07-15-2007, 11:00 PM

38 posts, read 191,028 times
I'm not sure If Sheppard has alot of DOD jobs or any at all for that matter, but I know they hire quite a few civi's for aircraft maintenance and other jobs on base.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:35 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerliryc View Post
Really depends on the job you're looking for. There are many areas in Texas that are growing and in need of workers. The Midland/Odessa area is a great example of this, heard that there is a shortage of something in the area of 2,000 employees. The new house market is taking off, I was just transfered here by my company to open up a new land surveying and engineering office. The weather here (except for this year from what I've been told) would be similar to the Phoenix area.
Cyril
Phoenix? Midland/Odessa can get hot (I've lived here 30 years), but temps are usually a bit lower...and we normally get an average of 12-14 inches of rain a year (Phoenix about 8).

Granted, this year has been unusually wet for WT....we're up to our norm already in June (around 13.5 inches or so), and the excess humidity reflects that, too.

Having said that, I'm New Mexico-bound in a few weeks. I LOVE this seller's market here....

Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Dallas is the place for white-collar jobs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas