Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 02:19 AM

53 posts, read 318,661 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just registered, and I'm hoping someone here might have done this drive before. I have searched so much on these forums for people's experiences, and either there's nothing out there, or I'm doing something wrong

I've made the drive from Columbus to Houston before. I went there doing OH-KY-TN-AR-TX (entering through Texarkana)and on the way back doing TX-OK-MO-IL-IN-OH. I was wondering if someone had any other suggestions. I love driving, and wouldn't mind doing another route with better scenery, or simply to go through different/more states, even if it means an extra couple hundred miles (not more than a couple though!). I know it might be a stupid question, but I'm a third year medical student at OSU, and my life revolves around studying - I really need this trip - however, I do have to do it in one stretch like last time, i.e. just bathroom breaks. There's a wedding on Sunday afternoon, and I can't leave OH before Saturday morning, and I have to be back in OH for my Tuesday morning classes. My last drive was also in one stretch - so I've definitely done the 25 hour drive in one day (one long day). I've been doing clinicals these days at school, so I am used to staying up for 2 days (or 3 if need be).

Again, I would appreciate any feedback (or even advice on road conditions).

Many thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,414 times
Default another route

hello,

Just wanted to suggest to you a third route that you might want to look into.
Have you considered flying? You can get to Houston in about 2 1/2 hours if you flew out of CMH. However, try looking into I-65 through Nashville, Tn to Birmingham, AL and onto Mobile, then hitting I-10 West to Houston. It will take you longer obviously but you would see beaches and drive through New Orleans if you wanted to.
Good luck

Old 07-18-2007, 06:37 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,706,752 times
You say you want to drive....and it looks like you ended up in Houston and came into Texas from the North East, correct? If so, that area is OK, but the real beauty of Texas is in the centeral/south central region. See if you can go in through Dallas and head down to San Antonio and then make the turn to Houston. This will set you back a couple of hours, but if you want a scenic drive then that's the way to go.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:30 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times
This won't work for you because of the time parameters....but someone with a little more time would enjoy traveling from Nashville TN to Natchez MS via the Natchez Trace Parkway. Speed limit is 50 mph but it is wonderfully pleasant travel with no big rigs. Lots of historical stuff along the way.

If you do it, try to get the audio cassettes or CD's that give commentary!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:56 PM

443 posts, read 1,566,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
hello,

Just wanted to suggest to you a third route that you might want to look into.
Have you considered flying? You can get to Houston in about 2 1/2 hours if you flew out of CMH. However, try looking into I-65 through Nashville, Tn to Birmingham, AL and onto Mobile, then hitting I-10 West to Houston. It will take you longer obviously but you would see beaches and drive through New Orleans if you wanted to.
Good luck
Ditto in my opinion. This is really the only alternative route remaining for you imho. Is there a reason you're choosing Texas though, just curious, lots of more interesting drives through the Carolinas or New England that you could do in the same period of time. Just a thought, sounds fun, wish I was in line to do something like that, have gotten far to reliant on plane travel the last few years, would love to do a good road trip.

Taking this route would send you through about 70 miles of South Louisana swamps, cajun country and some beautiful Mississippi country.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
The Gulf Coast drive along I-10 is gorgeous. It'll be fun.
If anyone around Beaumont/Port Arthur could tell us if they're done with all that construction along I-10 just inside the Texas border with Louisiana (Sabine River). I got stuck there for awhile coming in from NC in January.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 47,504 times
Hey there,

I'll be doing a very similar trip - Akron to Dallas - in a few weeks. We're also planning on doing OH-KY-TN-AR-TX (entering through Texarkana)and on the way back doing TX-OK-MO-IL-IN-OH. (or vice versa)

Any suggestions on which route is better to take on the way down vs. the return?

Also, we will be making an overnight stop, preferrably about 2/3 of the way on both legs of the trip. Suggestions for good overnight places to stop and sites to see are appreciated as well.

We want to drive pretty much straight through, but don't mind making a few worthwhile stops for must-see things - like the St. Louis arch, scenic overlooks, & great places to eat.

Also traveling with children, so suggestions on child-friendly sites are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 PM

making the same drive in spring break (3/18)!

Columbus to Houston.

Taking a plane is out of the question of course (even if it means saving a lot of money).

If anyone has any ideas for scenic routes, crazy routes, middle of nowhere routes, I'm all ears, and would love to hear your thoughts.

Up until now, I haven't been through Florida when I go to Texas, so I'm hoping I can go south until I hit Florida (I guess somewhere around Pensacola, FL)and then take 10 all the way, trying to stay as close to the coast as I can. Still trying to figure out the details though.

Random notes:

- Will have about 40 hours for this trip. Won't have to sleep if I don't need to.

- Will not be using the same route back (because let's face it, that would be too boring)

- Oklahoma is out of the question. Way too boring. Unless I can find something really cool along the way to make up for it. Also, it seems that they don't believe in bathrooms.

- There seems to be this awesome road that travels above Lake Pontchartrain in LA that I would like to (somehow) incorporate in this trip (it connects highways 12 and 10)

- I'd like to get as close to the water as I can for as much part of the drive as I can, even if it means I have to stray off the highway for a bit

- I love long bridges, so I've been trying to find as many in my way as possible. All the ones I can find that will be on my way though are in Louisiana

Old 02-23-2010, 03:45 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phospho View Post
making the same drive in spring break (3/18)!

Columbus to Houston.

Taking a plane is out of the question of course (even if it means saving a lot of money).

If anyone has any ideas for scenic routes, crazy routes, middle of nowhere routes, I'm all ears, and would love to hear your thoughts.

Up until now, I haven't been through Florida when I go to Texas, so I'm hoping I can go south until I hit Florida (I guess somewhere around Pensacola, FL)and then take 10 all the way, trying to stay as close to the coast as I can. Still trying to figure out the details though.

Random notes:

- Will have about 40 hours for this trip. Won't have to sleep if I don't need to.

- Will not be using the same route back (because let's face it, that would be too boring)

- Oklahoma is out of the question. Way too boring. Unless I can find something really cool along the way to make up for it. Also, it seems that they don't believe in bathrooms.

- There seems to be this awesome road that travels above Lake Pontchartrain in LA that I would like to (somehow) incorporate in this trip (it connects highways 12 and 10)

- I'd like to get as close to the water as I can for as much part of the drive as I can, even if it means I have to stray off the highway for a bit

- I love long bridges, so I've been trying to find as many in my way as possible. All the ones I can find that will be on my way though are in Louisiana
American airlines has tickets for $209 (taxes included) from columbus to IAH on 3/18 returning 3/22. Why is flying out of the question?

$/gallon 2.5
total miles 1221
round trip miles 2442
miles/gallon 25
round trip cost 244.2

If you drive it yourself, the gas alone will cost around $250, not to mention wear and tear on your car which can be estimated at around 15 cents/mile or around $366.

The cost + time saved to fly and rent a car is worth it if there is just one person.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
American airlines has tickets for $209 (taxes included) from columbus to IAH on 3/18 returning 3/22. Why is flying out of the question?

$/gallon2.5
total miles1221
round trip miles2442
miles/gallon25
round trip cost244.2

If you drive it yourself, the gas alone will cost around $250, not to mention wear and tear on your car which can be estimated at around 15 cents/mile or around $366.

The cost + time saved to fly and rent a car is worth it if there is just one person.
thanks for your thoughts! I appreciate the calculations. I was always curious about the wear and tear factor.

The thing though is that I have a toyota yaris (awesome mileage), and there's 3 of us. I went to Trip Gas Price and it seems that it will cost about $200 in gas. I'm thinking it's still worth it, but I admit I never thought about the wear and tear on the car. I have a 10 year warranty though, does that matter you think?

again, thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas