Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
Out of curiosity, what is with DFW? Are folks just generally like big city people? Transplants from other regions? Coming from not the friendliest region, hubby and I don't want to move into a place just as bad. We are looking hard at DFW for having the best shot at jobs however based on some of these discussions, we are open to other areas too. Don't even know where Tyler is...guess I have some research to do today!
Well Dallas and Houston are both big cities with a lot of transplants and a lot of rush with people trying to get to where they need to go just like any other big city, so of course you may not find people that want to smile or say hi to everyone they pass like in a small town or even smaller city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
Out of curiosity, what is with DFW? Are folks just generally like big city people? Transplants from other regions? Coming from not the friendliest region, hubby and I don't want to move into a place just as bad. We are looking hard at DFW for having the best shot at jobs however based on some of these discussions, we are open to other areas too. Don't even know where Tyler is...guess I have some research to do today!
Tyler is about two hours east of Dallas, and two hours west of Shreveport, Louisiana in northeast Texas just off I-20. Longview is 45 minutes east of Tyler and about an hour and ten minutes from Shreveport on I-20. The job market is really strong in both towns. They are both considered "small cities. Tyler has a population of around 100,000 give or take a couple of bedroom communities (larger "drive in" population during the day) and Longview has a population of about 75,000 give or take as well. Tyler's economy is based more on white collar jobs like medical, or service related, and Longview's economy is based more on blue collar jobs like oil and gas, though Longview also has several hospitals. There are more private schools in the Tyler area, and there are some good public schools in both areas.

Tyler's unemployment rate is 6.2 percent and Longview's unemployment rate is 5.3 percent - both lower than the national average of 7.7

They are both attractive small cities and are so close together that you can enjoy the benefits of both - with close proximity to major metro areas - if you live in either one. Being so close to I-20 gets you to either DFW or Shreveport quickly, but both smaller cities have good shopping and dining (especially Tyler).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas