Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I flew a little Piper Cub across many parts of Texas last year and I was amazed at how much empty land there was. Once you get away from the cities it is very desolate. Even flying between Fredericksburg to Waco, over pristine rivers and lush trees, there was not much out there in terms of houses.

It is good that it feels crowded to some. That means the cities are doing their job--keeping people and resources in centralized locations. Can you imagine if there were no cities and people were instead spread all over the state? That would feel very crowded.
I agree with everything you said here except for the last sentence. With a population density of about 100 people per square mile, if the residents of Texas were spread all over the state it would not feel crowded at all.

The most dense state is New Jersey with about 1200 people per square mile. Texas could increase its population by an order of magnitude to 250 million and still be less dense than New Jersey!

Last edited by Lucidus; 03-29-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 01:34 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Crowded to me is when I can see my neighbor's house. Even if there's a house on top of a mountain and I can see it from my window, it's too crowded.

But, that's just me.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:12 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan55 View Post
you mean when the united states invaded a sovereign nation and took half their nation... all because they felt it was their god given duty to spread the american government from atlantic to pacific... at any cost?
Well if you don't like or agree with the methods the US has used in the past, present and future, your free to leave!

Old 03-29-2011, 02:45 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Oh, no. Not the "love it or leave it" argument again!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:31 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
About the "feel" of Texas being crowded. I was in Louisiana for a bit and even though Louisiana has a higher population density than Texas, I noticed that there was plenty of empty land "along the highway". When I got back to Texas I noticed there wasn't. Then I realized that the reason why was because of our silly access roads. Now, don't get me wrong, I like the service roads in cities and they are great when you need to U-turn, but they cause sprawl directly along the freeways. In Louisiana, many times there is a forest that goes directly up against the freeway. In some cases the trees from the side shade the interstate! It results in it seeming to be less dense than it is. You can't do that in Texas because of the access roads.

Another thing I realized is that in forested areas, it seems less dense. So the piney woods area of Texas seems less densely populated than the plains directly south and northwest of it, but both areas are about the same population density.

For instance, in West Texas, you can see miles away, so if they are building a structure 5 miles away you can sense that things are getting more dense. However, in East Texas, if they build a structure 5 miles away, there's no way you can see it. As alluded to earlier, the only way to really see the density is to fly over the area, and everytime I did, I realized how little Texas is developed...

I hope that makes sense...

Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
As I recall didnt we WIN that war?? Therefore we didnt have to learn their language.
So what part of "while Texas was a part of Mexico" did you not understand?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Well if you don't like or agree with the methods the US has used in the past, present and future, your free to leave!
no because this is my home. and my family's home. and theirs before that. and so on and so forth. didn't cross the border. the border crossed us.... and all that jazz.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffari-al-texani View Post
you mean just like when all those Americans moved to Texas when it was part of Mexico and didn't bother learning the language?

Or is it okay when we do it?
So... you know the Texians didn't learn spanish? Did they force the Spanish and later the Mexicans (in a short 15 years the area was Mexican) to
speak english?

And if they didn't speak Spanish or Mex-Tex, how did they negotiate the surrender and survival of Santa Anna? How did they arrange for women and children to leave the Alamo? Was Juan Seguin an internationally recognized interpreter?

Did either the Spanish or the Mexicans bother to learn Indian dialects before being invaded by the Texians? Did someone just make up the name Texas, or San Antonio? Or El Paso?

Last edited by Willsson; 03-29-2011 at 09:57 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Seems the real problem with population growth is that it will occupy the more fertile grounds of east Texas and the gulf coast as it spreads slowly westward.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:04 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Too crowded with a certain group of people? Yes. Not really, but yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas