Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times

Advertisements

HtownLove is correct. The wiki says I-90 is 3,020.54 mi long and I-10 is 2,460.34 mi long, making it the 4th longest after after I-90, I-80, and I-40.

Interstate 10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interstate 90 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 12:45 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You are correct. Your turn.
Ok y'all, believe me or not, my SECOND guess would have been Molly Ivans and J. Frank Dobie. I confess though, I would NOT have been able to guess the bootmaker! LOL

And gosh darnit, during the times I have been able to get on line this week I have mostly devoted to the CHM thread. So I missed the Yellow Rose of Texas one! But yep, that is a facinating tale in itself.

Gotta get back to work now, but here in a bit I will share something else about it...

Old 04-15-2011, 01:55 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb;18743541
And gosh darnit, during the times I have been able to get on line this week I have mostly devoted to the CHM thread. [B
So I missed the Yellow Rose of Texas one! But yep, that is a facinating tale in itself.[/b]
Awesome tale isn't it? I wasn't taught it in school; teachers never tell you that stuff. Heard the story after I had left school.

Anyway, since there is no active Question I will ask one.

What was the first Interim Capital of the republic, and who was the Interim President at the time.

Clue: It is not Columbia.

Extra Points, The republic had 6 other Capitals before Austin. Name them

Old 04-15-2011, 03:01 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Awesome tale isn't it? I wasn't taught it in school; teachers never tell you that stuff. Heard the story after I had left school.

Anyway, since there is no active Question I will ask one.

What was the first Interim Capital of the republic, and who was the Interim President at the time.

Clue: It is not Columbia.

Extra Points, The republic had 6 other Capitals before Austin. Name them
The first ad interim capital would have been Washington-On-The-Brazos. here is a link: The Capitols of Texas. Here are the rest of the capitals: San Felipe de Austin, Washington-On-The-Brazos, Harrisburg, Galveston Island, Columbia, Houston, and Austin. Here is a link: The Capitals of Texas | Texas Almanac. The President was David G. Burnet and the Vice President was Lorenzo De Zavala. Here is my link: Presidents and Vice Presidents of the Republic of Texas - Texas State Library. BTW, it is pronounced Burn-it, not Bur-nett. You will learn that quick in Austin.

Here is the next question: "What is the smallest county in Texas, and what is the largest county in Texas?" I am talking about land area only.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
The first ad interim capital would have been Washington-On-The-Brazos. here is a link: The Capitols of Texas. Here are the rest of the capitals: San Felipe de Austin, Washington-On-The-Brazos, Harrisburg, Galveston Island, Columbia, Houston, and Austin. Here is a link: The Capitals of Texas | Texas Almanac. The President was David G. Burnet and the Vice President was Lorenzo De Zavala. Here is my link: Presidents and Vice Presidents of the Republic of Texas - Texas State Library. BTW, it is pronounced Burn-it, not Bur-nett. You will learn that quick in Austin.

Here is the next question: "What is the smallest county in Texas, and what is the largest county in Texas?" I am talking about land area only.

Alright, it has been over an hour with no responses. Here are the answers: The smallest county in land are in Texas is Rockwall County. Here is my link; Rockwall County-Official Website - History. Now the largest county in land area in Texas is Brewster County. Here is my link; Brewster County, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The next question is: "What is the only county in Texas to be incorporated twice?" Name the years and the reason for the second incorporation.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Alright, it has been over an hour with no responses. Here are the answers: The smallest county in land are in Texas is Rockwall County. Here is my link; Rockwall County-Official Website - History. Now the largest county in land area in Texas is Brewster County. Here is my link; Brewster County, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The next question is: "What is the only county in Texas to be incorporated twice?" Name the years and the reason for the second incorporation.

I think you misunderstood the one hour thing. What I wrote was: "if an hour passes since the last correct answer, with no new question being posted, then anyone can jump in with a new question."

Feel free to allow people more time to answer your question, I think 24 hours is reasonable. You can offer hints if you think it has been too long since anyone tried to answer it, or post a new question if there don't seem to be any takers.

The question you asked is: The next question is: "What is the only county in Texas to be incorporated twice?" Name the years and the reason for the second incorporation.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Lol, the answer was wrong.
Velasco was the first Capital as a liberated Republic. Texas was still part of Mexico when they Convened on Wash on the B. The Same for Harrisburg
Columbia's Claim is also a good one, it was the first Interim Capital chosen by an elected government.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Lol, the answer was wrong.
Velasco was the first Capital as a liberated Republic. Texas was still part of Mexico when they Convened on Wash on the B. The Same for Harrisburg
Columbia's Claim is also a good one, it was the first Interim Capital chosen by an elected government.
Lol, I had forgotten to type Velasco. It is in the link I posted though. I got caught up doing all of the research and dropped the ball. Anyway, try answering the question that I have posted. Here it is again: "What is the only county in Texas to be incorporated twice?" Name the years and the reason of the second incorporation.

Here is a hint: It is located in West Texas.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Lol, I had forgotten to type Velasco. It is in the link I posted though. I got caught up doing all of the research and dropped the ball. Anyway, try answering the question that I have posted. Here it is again: "What is the only county in Texas to be incorporated twice?" Name the years and the reason of the second incorporation.

Here is a hint: It is located in West Texas.
I only know the names of a few West Texas Counties.

I know El Paso co because of El Paso, but I doubt it is that.

I also know Loving county because it is famous for being small. and because it is so small I guess it is a good contender for incorporating twice.

I don't know the years but I am gonna guess that they had a population spike so they reconstituted again.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:19 AM

What is the only county in Texas to be incorporated twice?" Name the years and the reason of the second incorporation.

Answer: Loving County, 1893 & 1931, Reason: Growth

Quote:
LOVING COUNTY | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

Loving County is the only Texas county to be organized twice. The first organization appears to have been a scheme to defraud on the part of the organizers. Early in 1893 six men from Denver, Colorado, organized the Loving Canal and Irrigation Company of Mentone, Texas, with the stated purpose of migrating to isolated Loving County and constructing an irrigation canal from the Pecos to surrounding farmland. Although the 1890 United States census reported a population of only three in Loving County, on June 13, 1893, the organizers of the canal company filed a petition with the Reeves County Commissioners Court signed by 150 allegedly qualified voters who requested separate organization for Loving County. The court approved the petition and allowed the organization of the county. A county election was held on July 8, 1893, eighty-three votes were reported, and county organization was approved. Mentone, a town laid out by the company organizers twelve miles north of the present Mentone, was designated the county seat. Irrigation company organizers and several nonresidents were elected to county offices.

In the spring of 1894 H. C. Withers and A. H. Randolph made a trip to Loving County to investigate reports of the illegal county organization for the firm of W. H. Abrams of New York, which represented a large Loving County landowner. They found three people in Mentone. When Withers asked to examine the tax-levy records, sheriff and tax collector W. A. Hunter told him that county clerk R. G. Munn had taken the records to Denver. Loving County reportedly held a second election of county officials on November 8, 1894, and the organizers and nonresidents were reelected to office. There is evidence that neither of the Loving County elections was legitimate. By 1897 the county officials fled the area. Taxes were not collected for 1893 and 1894 and had not been assessed or collected for 1895 and 1896. County government was chaotic, and the state legislature deorganized Loving County on May 12, 1897, reattaching it to Reeves County. The Reeves County Commissioners Court taxed Loving County landowners to pay off the county debt.

Early in 1921 J. J. Wheat and Bladen Ramsey organized the Toyah-Bell Oil Company and leased acreage for drilling on the Russell Ranch. The company spudded the Russell No.1 in the summer and brought in the first producer of the county late in 1921. Although production from this well was short-lived, real commercial production was found in the Pecos Valley Petroleum Company Wheat No.1 on September 1, 1925. This well led to the development of the Wheat oilfield, which attained its maximum production in 1931 with 1,233,801 barrels, and to the discovery of other fields. Oil activity in the county increased the population to 195–76 women and 119 men, all white-by 1930. The larger population produced the town of Ramsey and led to the second organization of Loving County in 1931. Ramsey was renamed Mentone and became the county seat. By 1933 several oil camps were built in the county, and the population reached a record of 600. In 1939 Mentone reported a population of 150 and twelve businesses. The census of 1940 listed a county population of 282 whites and 3 Hispanics.
It is not clear to me what the reason was for the second incorporation other then that the population had grown, but why that necessitate the incorporation of a separate county? Why not leave it part of Reeves County?

Interesting side notes:
Quote:
Loving County is named for Oliver Loving, a cattle rancher and pioneer of the cattle drive who together with Charles Goodnight developed the Goodnight-Loving Trail. He was mortally wounded by Comanches while on a cattle drive in 1867 in the vicinity of the county.

Loving County is a county in the U.S. state of Texas, and is the least populous county in the entire United States. Its seat, and only community, is Mentone. The nearest sizable towns are Pecos, Texas, and Carlsbad, New Mexico.

The economy was based on oil and gas production; in 1986 crude oil production was more than 1.7 million barrels, gas-well gas totaled 42.3 billion cubic feet, and casinghead gas production was 3.9 billion cubic feet. Although petroleum gave the small population of Loving County the highest per-capita income of all United States counties ($34,173), the area was isolated and undeveloped.

I will wait for AmberAzeneth to confirm my answer because I'm not sure about the reason for the second incorporation.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-16-2011 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas