Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 05:25 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
I don't know why I keep thinking it was a woman.

Was it Clara Driscoll, who purchased the Alamo for $1000.00 in the early 1900's to save it from being built into a hotel???
Now that makes good sense. As I recall (I am always recalling something or other! LOL), the Daughters of the Republic of Texas purchased the Alamo from...was the War Department...? The reason I say that is because seems like for quite a while it was used as a "storehouse" for the U.S. Army; there was really no historical value about it for quite a while. Then, when the DOT purchased it, they were largely responsible for turning it into the shrine it is today, so to speak. Anyway, your answer is a good one and I am curious if Shane verifies it! LOL

Just on another of those related tangents I am fond of taking off on (nothing better to do besides mow the grass during summer vacation), and speaking of the "Shrine" aspect (which, as a native Texan, I absolutely concur with!), I have to tell this story I witnessed first hand.

I was in San Antonio back in the 80's at an SCV Texas Division convention and, the headquarter hotel was in the historic district. Anyway, I didn't feel like going to the boring luncheon, so wandered a couple of blocks away to visit the Alamo (I had not seen it in quite a few years). It was a Saturday afternoon and there was a long line waiting to enter the "chapel", and a lady outside had a sign that read something like "Please remove hats. This is a Shrine."

Well, right ahead of me were a bunch of big old Texas cowboys...looked like perhaps they were ranchers in town for a convention of their own. It goes without saying they removed their hats automatically. Now then, BEHIND me, was some loud-mouthed obnoxious yankee type wearing a beret. As we all got set to enter, he kept his cap on and, when politely requested to removed it, said loudly along the lines of "Why is this such a big deal...".

All six (or whatever) of those big Texas cattlemen just turned around and stared at him. Never said a word, but the look they gave would have killed a rattlesnake dead on. Needless to say, the guy took off his hat post-haste! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 05:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
The San Antonio based sculptor Pompeo Coppini, in his autobiography, claims it was HE who first heard of plans to build a large hotel on the Alamo site and it was HE who first sounded the alarm to his friend "Miss DeZavala" prompting her and other ladies of influence to "rally round the flag."
HANDBOOK OF TEXAS ONLINE has this to say about the LATER INVOLVEMENT of Clara Driscoll:
Quote:
From 1903 to 1905 she worked with the Daughters of the Republic of Texas to acquire and preserve the Alamo by personally paying most of the purchase price. The attractive young philanthropist received extensive national publicity as the "Savior of the Alamo."
Coppini apparently spent the rest of his life claiming he was the "Savior." His autobio has copies of letters that passed between himself and Clara Driscoll at the time.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:33 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
My information is that is is Clara Driscoll who provided the money to save it from being purchased by a hotel interest. How she came to know about and provide the money may be another story. Anyway, Clara Driskoll is who I was looking for as the answer. WHEWW!! I guess I'm off the hook now.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,030 times
FYI... Adina De Zavala, the granddaughter of on of Texas' early Governors - Lorenzo de Zavala, enlisted Clara Driscoll to help her in the fight to save the Alamo. Clara had connections and money. She purchased the Hugo-Schmeltzer building now known as the Long Barracks for $75,000. The building was then deeded to the State of Texas and at some point the Texas Legislature reimbursed her for it. It's my understanding the State already owned the chapel. Because it was Clara who had the money for the purchase, she was deemed the "Savior of the Alamo." However, reading those early accounts of Adina and Clara is most interesting. It was Adina who barracaded herself in the Long Barracks preventing a demolition crew from beginning its destruction. All are great questions!!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,139,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Now that makes good sense. As I recall (I am always recalling something or other! LOL), the Daughters of the Republic of Texas purchased the Alamo from...was the War Department...? The reason I say that is because seems like for quite a while it was used as a "storehouse" for the U.S. Army; there was really no historical value about it for quite a while. Then, when the DOT purchased it, they were largely responsible for turning it into the shrine it is today, so to speak. Anyway, your answer is a good one and I am curious if Shane verifies it! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
My information is that is is Clara Driscoll who provided the money to save it from being purchased by a hotel interest. How she came to know about and provide the money may be another story. Anyway, Clara Driskoll is who I was looking for as the answer. WHEWW!! I guess I'm off the hook now.

WoW, what a bunch of interesting facts we discovered with that trivia question Shane. Who woulda thunk???

Reb thanks for your story about your visit to the Alamo, and other facts your presented.

Joqua, that was very interesting about Pompeo Copini, which led me to read more about his life. Thank you.

Morning Glory, thanks for presenting your facts on Adina De Zavala who seemed like an awful gutsy woman to have barricaded herself in the barracks to keep it from being demolished.

Since Shane was looking for Clara Driskoll as his answer, I believe I was the one who answered correctly first, so I will ask the next question.

Without googling{} does anyone know who Bob Wade is, and what he's famous for???

{I will be off-line until this afternoon, and will check back then. Enjoy your day!}

Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory210 View Post
FYI... Adina De Zavala, the granddaughter of on of Texas' early Governors - Lorenzo de Zavala, enlisted Clara Driscoll to help her in the fight to save the Alamo. Clara had connections and money. She purchased the Hugo-Schmeltzer building now known as the Long Barracks for $75,000. The building was then deeded to the State of Texas and at some point the Texas Legislature reimbursed her for it. It's my understanding the State already owned the chapel. Because it was Clara who had the money for the purchase, she was deemed the "Savior of the Alamo." However, reading those early accounts of Adina and Clara is most interesting. It was Adina who barracaded herself in the Long Barracks preventing a demolition crew from beginning its destruction. All are great questions!!
Lorenzo de Zavala served as minister to France and as vice president under the Republic. Are you sure he was subsequently a governor after statehood? I know I could easily google this but need to go do something else at the moment. BTW, de Zavala brought back from France the lovely old china rose called Louis Phillipe, which is available from the Antique Rose Emporium in Liberty, TX or from many local nurseries that carry antique roses.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Without googling{} does anyone know who Bob Wade is, and what he's famous for???

{I will be off-line until this afternoon, and will check back then. Enjoy your day!}
Without googling{}

Old 06-19-2011, 12:41 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
OK, correcting two mistakes -- one by MorningGlory210 and one by me. Lorenzo de Zavala died in 1836, hence was never governor of Texas. As I stated, he served as vice pres of the Republic, specifically as interim VP under interim Pres. Burnet. I was mistaken that he ever served as the Republic's minister to France; in point of fact he served as Mexico's minister to France. He was an extremely erudite, progressive man who defected from the Santa Ana government in favour of supporting Texas independence and was a signer of Texas' Declaration of Independence.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:33 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,139,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Without googling{}
LOL, CptnRn!!!

I figured there would be tons of folks that would know who Bob "Big Daddy" Wade is.

If no one "gets it" by 10p.m. tonight, Texas time, feel free to google your little hearts out.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:36 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
LOL, CptnRn!!!

I figured there would be tons of folks that would know who Bob "Big Daddy" Wade is.

If no one "gets it" by 10p.m. tonight, Texas time, feel free to google your little hearts out.
Bob "Big Daddy" Wade is a Texas artist, some describe at a Texas Art Ambassador. He is responsible for numerous "Texas" sized sculptures, such as giant cowboy boots, giant stuffed frogs (2 are at Carl's Corner truck stop), a giant iguana on the roof of the Lone Star Cafe in New York City. I'm not sure which of his pieces you would consider most famous, probably the iguana.

See images of his artworks here: BobWade

He has also done a series of paintings and prints based on Texas iconographic images.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas