Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,855 times

Advertisements

I would have put this under the garden forum but figured that people from TX would know better. I have cedars that have put out alot of shade, pretty much all shade. I want to plant hostas under the cedars but it that a good idea? Would they live even though they get shade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:49 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Hostas usually do pretty well in the shade. I'm not sure how they would do under cedars, I heard years ago that cedar needles or oil tends to poison the soil for other plants. I'm not sure if that is true, but just thought I'd mention it. A quick web search indicates that there might be some truth to that but also produced some conflicting results. It might be best to plant one and see how it does before you plant a bunch of them.

I planted about 8 hostas 2+ weeks ago on the north side of a wood fence, which shades the area, and below an oak tree, which also shades it most of the day. The hosta's have doubled in size since I planted them and seem to be doing just fine.

Here are some other shade tolerant plants recommended for Central Texas. Central Texas Gardener - Shade Plants (Multiple Gardeners)

Old 04-13-2011, 02:54 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Hostas usually do pretty well in the shade. I'm not sure how they would do under cedars, I heard years ago that cedar needles or oil tends to poison the soil for other plants. I'm not sure if that is true, but just thought I'd mention it. A quick web search indicates that there might be some truth to that but also produced some conflicting results. It might be best to plant one and see how it does before you plant a bunch of them.

I planted about 8 hostas 2+ weeks ago on the north side of a wood fence, which shades the area, and below an oak tree, which also shades it most of the day. The hosta's have doubled in size since I planted them and seem to be doing just fine.

Here are some other shade tolerant plants recommended for Central Texas. Central Texas Gardener - Shade Plants (Multiple Gardeners)
This is what I was wondering. I have one hosta and I will plant it and see how it does. I am looking for something perennial, don't want to plant a bunch of annuals on an acre. The less I have to do each year the better! I do have a rock garden on the north side of our house that gets full shade also. I might try to get hostas to grow there also, it is just a matter of removing the rocks, etc. Thanks so much for the list, I will have to check it out since I am familiar with only about 5 items on it.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Does anyone else know if there is any truth to the idea that cedars poison the ground for other plants that might try to grow there?

Old 04-14-2011, 05:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
I have 4 beds full of hostas - some I've had for over 30 years and were rescue plants from another location.

Hostas don't do particularly well in the coastal areas that don't get enough cold weather for them to go dormant - I've never heard of a problem with planting them under cedars, but I also don't remember the question ever coming up.

There are a lot of shade plants that do well in Texas (I live in North Texas).
Holly fern and painted ferns do well. Certain varieties of coral bells do well. Violets will grow most anywhere - both the large white and the small purple.

Talk to a local nursery that has somebody that knows their stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas