Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,641 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to Ft. Hood in July, and we're certain we're not living on base, or too close. We're really interested in Belton, Salado, and maybe Georgetown (if it's not too far). Any advice on finding rentals in these places? How long is a commute from Georgetown to Ft. Hood? My husband and I like the small town feel, but know we absolutely love Austin, and will most likely make it our home in 2013 when he gets out. We'd love to live in Round Rock when we get to Texas in July, but it's too far a commute for my hubs I believe. Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 05:07 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Rental... home, condo, apt, price range, rooms, amenities?

Report has it that a number of military make the Georgetown commute. Salado is a quiet, weekend shopping village. You might check with realtors in the area to see if any handle rentals. The area realtors should find your post soon and offer more info. Texas Horse Lady is in the north of Austin area and generally has good commentary regarding real estate. If you'd consider Salado or Georgetown then you might want to add Temple to your area. There are some outstanding neighborhoods on the south end. I do see lots of military at the local WalMart in Temple.

City-Data has a Salado page that may be informative.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
LOTS of folks stationed at Fort Hood live in Georgetown. Many of my clients are stationed there. It works very well, say, if one spouse is at Fort Hood and the other is working in Austin, or if you like to spend your free time in Austin. Salado's also a lovely little town (think Texas version of Taos, is what always comes to mind for me - I live in Jarrell but about five minutes from Salado, out in the country), but a longer commute into Austin.

Fort Hood is a straight shoot up 195 from Georgetown. Round Rock is literally ten minutes away.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,604 times
Default Considering move to Salado

I am in the same situation as AltheaandNick...my husband has been transferred to Fort Hood, and we are considering a move to Salado or Georgetown. I absolutely loved Salado, but am fearful that it might be too old for us...we have a three year old son and are concerned about making connections for him...and us of course. Any thoughts on this? Also, what about medical care...where do Salado folks have that taken care of?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:04 PM

8 posts, read 15,360 times
I grew up in Georgetown and its a great town. Its not that far of a commute to Fort Hood and a great town to raise a family. Schools in Georgetown are great and it has a very small town community feel. Im sure you could look at rentals online I'm not sure where though.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:22 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtc71 View Post
I am in the same situation as AltheaandNick...my husband has been transferred to Fort Hood, and we are considering a move to Salado or Georgetown. I absolutely loved Salado, but am fearful that it might be too old for us...we have a three year old son and are concerned about making connections for him...and us of course. Any thoughts on this? Also, what about medical care...where do Salado folks have that taken care of?
Seems as though Salado schools are always in some kind of playoff.

Then there's always fun for older kids...

Scott & White Hospital, of Temple, a very major medical in the area, has a clinic in Salado.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:19 PM

7 posts, read 19,840 times
I lived in Georgetown but never liked the drive to Ft. Hood. I understand they are making it better but I never enjoyed the long drive. Belton/Temple is closer, but I'm not sure about the schools there. The do have nice apartments though. Georgetown is a really nice place with nice rentals and really great schools, and a lot to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas