Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:51 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mamma View Post
Maybe I should explain first.... basically I would like a town that has retained its Southern culture and charm because it has not experienced much growth and transplants form the North. Towns like Cary, NC or suburbs of Atlanta or Greenville, SC or the SC coast or Northwest Arkansas are not very Southern feeling anymore because of all the transplants. I am not anti-north, just would like a town that is still Southern....
It sounds like you're blaming the north for suburbanization. Not sure about the rest of the south, but most of the suburbs in Atlanta are populated mostly by... wait for it... southerners. Yeah, there are a lot of transplants but not enough to dictate culture to the area. I know it's nice to have a villain to blame things on, but a lot of the old Deep South towns are dying because that's just not what a lot of people want anymore. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to live in the suburbs, but it's a bit foolish to blame the suburbs on the northern US.

To address your original question, I personally think Alabama, Georgia, or South Carolina would all have something a lot closer to what you're looking for, but it would be worth a weekend trip or two to east Texas to find out for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 09:58 AM

94 posts, read 294,993 times
TexasReb, though it's none of your damn business - and I certainly don't need to respond to you - I will anyway. I'm 48, and have been around the block long enough to know what's going on, thank you.

I haven't made any personal attacks on you, but you certainly have towards me. Calling me young, pious, etc. In fact, your words are pure judgement. You don't know me, but you've already made up your mind who I am. That's really childish.

It doesn't bother me though, because I could care less what your opinion of me is. Your words speak loudly of the type of person you are, so I don't have to do anything to defend myself. You hang yourself with your caustic attitude and quick judgement.

I know you HAVE to have the last word, so go ahead and let it rip (so predictable). Make sure to add your favorite symbol I'm not going to waste any more of my time, and won't be looking for your response. Ha ha!

Last edited by Truglesmith; 04-20-2011 at 10:15 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 10:31 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglesmith View Post
TexasReb, though it's none of your damn business - and I certainly don't need to respond to you - I will anyway. I'm 48, and have been around the block long enough to know what's going on, thank you.
You sure don't, and I would prefer you didn't. I'd rather spend time in discussion of those who know the art of civil and rational conversation on certain subjects instead of attacking someone because their world vision doesn't precisely square with yours. And something else? I will MAKE it my business to ask certain questions to anyone who makes accusations such as you have as regards me. In your last post, for instance, and several others in other threads. If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen.

If you have been around the block a time or two, as you say you have, then you should have discovered that never everyone on the block is going to agree with you and you should have learned it long before now.

Quote:
I haven't made any personal attacks on you, but you certainly have towards me. Calling me young, pious, etc. In fact, your words are pure judgement. You don't know me, but you've already made up your mind who I am. That's really childish.
You must have a super-sensitive idea of what involves a personal attack. I said you remind me of some undergrad with that pious and supercilious attitude toward others who do not share your outlook. I stand by it, and invite anybody else to look them over and how you come across to people; let them come to their own conclusions.

That is not a personal attack, and nothing I said earlier was. But you are right, they are judgemental...because I am going by your own words and tones in your posts.

Quote:
It utlimately doesn't bother me though, because I could care less what your opinion of me is. Your words speak loudly of the type of person you are, so I don't have to do anything to defend myself.
Then consider this sentiment (bolded part) reciprocated. Hell, we can agree on that part of it from both directions. And yep, I make no secret of where I stand on certain issues -- --and in plain words. You got that part right as well.

And of course you don't have to defend yourself. But then keep that in mind when you are so quick to judge others as to their motivations. Which is exactly the way you do quite a bit of the time. To you, if one honors their Confederate heritage, then they are dinosouars living in the past and no other consideration is possible. You brought up racism when there is/was absolutely no reason applicable to do so.

And then, you make a little sophomoric comment about somebody (in this case me! LOL) having too much time on their hands. You don't reply to the points nor address them, you just make a little silly-a$$ blurb that is irrelevant and yep, typical of undergrad types, or those with a highly exagerated sense of their insights. Not surprisingly, then, you don't seem to be able to grasp why somebody else might respond in kind.

I will say this though, at least one of your posts did actually seem to be trying to be helpful and share you own experiences...so that is to your credit. I have no problem whatsoever with discourse in that regard and in those veins...

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-20-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Old 04-22-2011, 09:17 AM
etx

49 posts, read 105,945 times
I would suggest the small towns of Bullard, Frankston and Flint (all located near the city of Tyler). These towns are full of beautiful East Texas scenery, near the lake, with friendly churches and side of the road fruitstands. I think you can still find what you are looking for in East Texas, but it will be at the cost of jobs for sure. The more prosperous areas are full of not only yankee types but gangs and drugs too.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 AM

206 posts, read 503,641 times
Texasreb, kicking butt and taking names. You go boy, I like your style.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:05 PM

119 posts, read 362,557 times
Ok THANKS for the people actually giving me recommendations! Anybody know anything about the Lufkin area? Any good towns surrounding Lufkin?

Old 04-22-2011, 03:17 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,876 times
nacogdoches has a population of 33000 ppl an a univ of 13000 so that city is the most soul fa city and spread out has a lot of choices of living it is a charming city 85% of the city is filled with side walks and the on hilly city in east texas no matter what side of the city youre on there is glancing views of the city downtown an neigborhoods and hold more festivals and rodeos and concerts then any other city so lots of things to do and growing developers are building it reminds you of atl ga its spread out an not jammed together so pic N*A*C!!!

Old 04-22-2011, 03:19 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,876 times
Quote:
Ok THANKS for the people actually giving me recommendations! Anybody know anything about the Lufkin area? Any good towns surrounding Lufkin?
NACOGDOCHES READ BELOW

Old 04-22-2011, 03:43 PM

119 posts, read 362,557 times
Ok thanks for y'alls help! This summer my boyfriend and I are going to take a road trip to see these towns throughout the South! So in Texas were going to go to some of these towns, thanks for everyone's help!

Old 04-22-2011, 04:09 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Ok thanks for y'alls help! This summer my boyfriend and I are going to take a road trip to see these towns throughout the South! So in Texas were going to go to some of these towns, thanks for everyone's help!
Enjoy your visit across the South, Mississippi Momma. Make sure you visit Jefferson! Have a good time and safe trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas