Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Texas: Midland, dentist, filter tap water, traffic, flour tortilla.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:35 AM

384 posts, read 1,669,911 times

Advertisements

I posted a few months ago about our move to Midland this summer and many of you were so helpful! Now we're here and I am pleasantly surprised. First of all there are way more trees than I thought. I do not smell anything unpleasant at all and it's very green thanks to all the rain Midland has been getting (which I know is unusual for this time of year!) We have a reverse osmosis system (I really have no idea how it works but anyway the water is fine!) The people are very friendly and polite. I'm not that old and I do have young children but in the stores etc. people say " yes, mam" alot-- The parks for children are numerous as are the choice of restaurants. There is a wait list for the pediatrician and dentist we chose but we got into the ped within 2 weeks when there was a cancellation and as for the dentist, they will take new patients in a few weeks (fortunately we are not having any issues at the moment) There is plenty to do. My 7 y/o has been in a 1/2 day swim camp since the 4th day we've been here and she wants to keep going for the next few weeks. The public library has a nice play area for the little children and the Childrens' Museum is free on Sundays. Haven't ventured down to Odessa yet but I do plan to check out their Music Mall which has an indoor carousel. Just wanted folks to know I made it to Midland and so far so good!

Pam

Last edited by pammybear; 07-31-2007 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 06:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post
I posted a few months ago about our move to Midland this summer and many of you were so helpful! Now we're here and I am pleasantly surprised. First of all there are way more trees than I thought. I do not smell anything unpleasant at all and it's very green thanks to all the rain Midland has been getting (which I know is unusual for this time of year!) We have a reverse osmosis system (I really have no idea how it works but anyway the water is fine!) The people are very friendly and polite. I'm not that old and I do have young children but in the stores etc. people say " yes, mam" alot-- The parks for children are numerous as are the choice of restaurants. There is a wait list for the pediatrician and dentist we chose but we got into the ped within 2 weeks when there was a cancellation and as for the dentist, they will take new patients in a few weeks (fortunately we are not having any issues at the moment) There is plenty to do. My 7 y/o has been in a 1/2 day swim camp since the 4th day we've been here and she wants to keep going for the next few weeks. The public library has a nice play area for the little children and the Childrens' Museum is free on Sundays. Haven't ventured down to Odessa yet but I do plan to check out their Music Mall which has an indoor carousel. Just wanted folks to know I made it to Midland and so far so good!

Pam
Good for you, Pam, glad you're doing well!!

Midland is unusually green right now, as is most of WT, since we have already passed our average rainfall for the entire year. It is green all the way from Austin (not unusual there) to El Paso. It's also cooler than average. We have had very few days (maybe 2-3) 100+. It's been great!!

Be glad for the reverse osmosis system, LOL!! The water straight from the tap is drinkable, but it's not very good. It used to be just nasty, so it has improved quite a bit.

Enjoy your stay. I just finished 30 years this month, but am relocating in a few days.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,692 times
I'm so glad you are happy there! We have always enjoyed spending time in Midland and Odessa.

Some things that you didn't mention that you might enjoy-- Odessa's mall has an ice skating rink.

Tip:If you need business/ dressy clothing, check out Odessa's shops first. We have always found better selections in Odessa (and better deals). I assume it is because Midland is more white collar, so store selections and sales get picked over faster in Midland.

In September, check out the Air Show. It is wonderful, and kids really seem to love it!

If you haven't been to Miss Cayce's Christmas Store in Midland, it is worth the visit!

Midland and Odessa have so many hidden treasures that are fun to discover, and it sounds like you and your family are having a great time discovering all the area has to offer. Congrats!

Old 07-31-2007, 11:46 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post

Pam

So just to make it official then, you don't feel like we were lying to you about Midland/Odessa in order to trick you into moving to a hell hole? Not that anyone on this forum would suggest such a thing.

Welcome to Midland, Pam!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:36 AM

Ok, Ok, I think that's enough rain for now!!!!!!!!!! The locals tell me this is very unusual! We just moved here so I don't know any better! West Texas can have some amazing lightening/thunder storms. What a light show the other night!

Just wanted to say Midland really is a nice place for families. I know I've only been here a few weeks but everyone we've met has been very welcoming and helpful. Since I'm a newcomer, I'll tell you what minor challenges I've faced (you'll probably get a good laugh)

1. For the life of me, could never find a grocery cart at HEB. Finally saw them in the parking lot corralled behind an orange fence! Can't wait to see the new store when the construction is done!

2. Driving around what I call the Loopy-loop (the Loop) and figuring out the U-turns, access roads and where and when to get off. Yes, that was me driving around and around in circles--got it figured out now!

3. Looking at horizontal traffic lights and seeing the green arrow light up in the middle!! Very different from what I'm used to (vertical with the arrow being on the bottom!)

4. My many consultations with Culligan regarding the R/O system and water softener and the woman patiently explaining to me how I will know they are working!

5. Many of the home addresses and some kind of symbol or picture are painted on the curb in front of the homes by an artist called the curb man. These are really unique--can't wait to order mine. The current one we have is a soccer ball and doesn't really fit us....

6. The warm, fresh tortillas that HEB sells--trying to figure out when to buy them so I can just take them right home and serve them with our meal--they probably wouldn't be the same if we had to reheat them!

7. Is it true that when I go to get my TX driver's license it will take 6 weeks but that I can keep my current license until the TX one will arrive?

Newbie to Midland--so far so good!!

Pam

Old 08-03-2007, 09:11 AM

81 posts, read 332,637 times
Bet you can find better tortillas than what they make at HEB.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:55 AM

389 posts, read 1,656,905 times
Homemade tortillas are the best!! if you can find a mexican bakery thats pretty close to homeaid try it.and if you like mexican food try Casa Madrid.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:14 PM

Mmmmmmmmm sounds good thank you!

Pam

Old 08-04-2007, 03:27 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,026,285 times
Rosa's has awesome tortillas!

Old 08-04-2007, 08:20 AM

81 posts, read 332,637 times
Yeah- actually Rosa's has the BEST tortillas. Forgot they had one in Midland..duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas