Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2006, 12:09 AM

3 posts, read 12,718 times

Advertisements

I have an old friend in Blanket, TX. He told me a few years back that I could move down there and he'd set me up on his ranch, provide a house and pay me right good. I have some questions about Blanket. (RSTX mentioned, in another thread, that he had friends in Blanket)

Other than farming/ranching, are there jobs available in Blanket itself?
The City-Data page claims that Blanket is nearly all-white. Is this the case? If not, what are the true percentages?
I wouldn't imagine the crime rate is very high there. How is it, really?
I know it's isolated and not very big, and that suits me right down to the ground, but where is the nearest bigger city? Where you could go and shop a bit, if you wanted to?

Blanket has always held a fascination with me. We used to buy cutting horses and 1/4 horses from two brothers that were from Blanket. That was back in the late 50's~early 60's. One brother moved up here, eventually. The other one still owns and operates a Hereford farm outside of Blanket, although he's getting a little long in the tooth now.

Any info y'all can give me on Blanket, such as the weather, rainfall, how cold does it get, etc, will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 09:58 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Any info y'all can give me on Blanket, such as the weather, rainfall, how cold does it get, etc, will be greatly appreciated!

I would tend to believe that Blanket probably is mostly white, even though I haven't been through there in a long time. But, if that's important to you, your old friend could give you the info on that.

Summers are going to be very long and very hot. "Normal" rainfall should be around 20-25 inches a year. It's not going to get very cold, though it can have a few days of very cold (which to most people is teens and 20s) and then warm back up again.

Nearest larger town is Brownwood (15 miles)...which has restaurants, shopping, etc. I have relatives there, and it's a very nice place to me.

Much larger places....

San Angelo 110
Weatherford 95
Abilene 95
Ft Worth 125

Old 08-29-2006, 09:57 PM

Thanks! That helps a lot. I'd hoped to get more input. Perhaps from some who live there, near there or who have visited there recently.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:42 PM

364 posts, read 1,420,282 times
Charles,

Blanket is not much of a town, but it is so close to Brownwood that it does not matter. I haven't been there in a couple of years (sad to say) but I'm sure the minority population is still very close to 0%. Jobs outside of ranching are few, but again it is very close to B'wood. Most folks commute, and it is a pleasant one.

Weather will be hot and pretty dry in the summer with low to modest humidity (read as "pleasant evenings and mornings"). Winter tends to be mild, but it will freeze as the elevation is high enough to support some cold air.

Good luck.

Rick

Old 08-30-2006, 10:34 PM

Thanks! Anybody know any McBrides from Blanket? Just a little more thinking, and I'll be calling my friend down there. I've been told by a friend in Ft Worth that NC's so green and pretty, and Blanket is so, well, brown, that I'd be bored to death. We have had such an influx of people from all over here in NC that I'm ready to go back to some light farming, easy living, low crime and good people!!!

Old 08-30-2006, 10:39 PM

364 posts, read 1,420,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesL View Post
Thanks! Anybody know any McBrides from Blanket?
Sorry, I just know the Richmonds.

Best of luck with the decision.

Rick

Old 09-01-2006, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,240 times
Default blanket cemeteries

I am on a genealogy search. Can any give me phone number and addresses of cemeteries in Blanket Texas?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:00 PM

21 posts, read 39,190 times
Hey there Charles..i am from Brwonwood..i have been away a few years but go back quite often. Am plannin on movin back down this summer....i've got relatives buried in Blanket, but
not sure about the people now...my dad seemed to know everyone, but he passed away..i can help ya search if ya need it..sorry i don't have more...but it is a nice little town....not too many to bother ya....take care

jerrie beth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas