Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:10 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The other thing you have to remember is that there are areas of the country which are suffering a whole helluva lot more than Texas. I seem to remember a few hundred tornados that ripped through Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Tennessee, wiping entire towns off the map and killing 300+ people along the way.
I understand that Blue. This particular issue is regarding Texas, only because of the president's visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
JJ....it is about Texas, bc the president came here. Perry is governor of Texas.... The only reason I even brought up Bush was to compare how he as president was expected to render federal aid to Louisiana even though it was initially rejected by it's govenor at the time.

Yet in regards to Texas asking for federal aid for the wildfires, there are those who do not expect the President to do anything or feel that he has to do anything because of Perry's political rants. I mean, I think that that's pretty clear cut.

again the 'back' button is your friend.

You can keep disregarding what's being said about Perry, but as along as he's representing this state; expect more disappointments.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:39 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,646,222 times
I agree. I've been disappointed a looong time as far as the occupant of that fancy mansion that costs the taxpayers of Texas so much money every month. Time for a bit of belt-tightening and that can start with getting rid of that big mansion!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You can keep disregarding what's being said about Perry, but as along as he's representing this state; expect more disappointments.

jluke i'm not disregarding what people are saying about Perry. Some are disregarding the fact that it's about the people.

Federal aid/assistance for disasters (esp) shouldn't be withheld because the President doesn't like what the governor says.... I know of all the talk of seceding, but at the end of the day, Texas is still apart of the United States.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
JJ....it is about Texas, bc the president came here. Perry is governor of Texas.... The only reason I even brought up Bush was to compare how he as president was expected to render federal aid to Louisiana even though it was initially rejected by it's govenor at the time.

Yet in regards to Texas asking for federal aid for the wildfires, there are those who do not expect the President to do anything or feel that he has to do anything because of Perry's political rants. I mean, I think that that's pretty clear cut.

again the 'back' button is your friend.
Just forget it....

Old 05-11-2011, 08:38 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
I will say this much. The last few months has proven beyond a doubt that if we were to secede, we'd be so screwed.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:46 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
The point of getting a disaster declaration made isn't just to bail out state funds. A disaster declaration allows the people in the declared areas access to low interest loans to restore their properties and business and also gives them minor tax breaks to get back on their feet. Lack of this declaration makes it harder for those folks to recover.

This pettiness is getting ridiculous. Who cares who said what. Fact is that Texas is part of the US. Texans pay taxes for these services. Currently, these services are being denied. Are Texans the only ones suffering right now? No. The crazy weather this year is causing wide spread suffering from floods to fires. Those folks, wherever they are, should get the assistance they qualify for no matter where they live.
Agreed.

imo.....bush II s*cked, perry s*cks & obama s*cks. Anyone who supports or sticks up for slimy guys like these are merely getting slimed.

But none of that is the issue....Poltracker articulated the issue. If Obama came to Texas & purposely (& politically) ignored/snubbed those in need, then he's the slimiest of the three (today)....& should just go away.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:18 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
There appears to be the perception that Governor Perry can "spend" the Rainy Day Fund on anything he pleases ...... Not True, he can't spend it at all.

Quote:
Texas Rainy Day Fund

Using the fund itself isn’t particularly easy. If the comptroller says that revenue will decrease between legislative sessions or if a budget deficit unexpectedly develops, it requires a three-fifths vote to transfer money away from the fund.

Of course, if members want to use the money for any other situation — like say, a budget shortfall — then they’ll need to reach two-thirds of their colleagues, an even higher threshold.
The Teachers want to "spend" the RDF to save their jobs, the Medicare/Medicaid advocates want to "spend" the RDF to save their programs, the CongressCritters want to "spend" the RDF to save the budget.

All of the various groups that want to "spend" the RDF, want to avoid spending cuts, which are clearly going to be necessary. Perry can't just take money from the RDF and send it to fire ravaged areas in Texas - our Constitution does not allow that. I don't care whether anyone likes/supports Perry at all - should that mean that the entire State of Texas gets punished because we have a Republican Governor and the State didn't (and won't) vote for Obama in 2012? only if you are an extreme partisan and don't care a flip for this great State

Obama's speech in Texas and his refusal to even mention the fire disasters that are STILL burning was very 'tone deaf' - he even ignored the fires in Marfa, Alpine and West Texas. This stuff is becoming a distinct pattern - no Space Shuttle for Houston, no disaster relief for Texas, the Education money "special rules for Texas only", the EPA "special rules for Texas only", first visit of his Presidency for a quick boilerplate campaign speech and then on to 2 big fund raisers in Austin.

Fires??? What fires???

Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Despite political nature of Tuesday's presidential trip, Obama campaign will not reimburse local agencies for work.

Local taxpayers will cover the cost of safeguarding President Barack Obama's brief trip Tuesday to Austin, officials said, despite the entirely political nature of his visit. [/quote]

Last edited by Bo; 05-12-2011 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you were referring to was deleted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas