Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 PM

7 posts, read 33,458 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just got this job at Weslaco and boss wants me to move ASAP. I've read some posts here but my case is not quite the same. I'm from Taiwan and living in upstate NY for couple years for master degree. Never been to Texas till couple days ago this company brought me down for the interview. So far my plan is to live in Mcallen and drive to work. I would like to know:

a. should I expect to see no asians around the city?
b. is there's any good asian grocery stores around?
c. how convenient is the bus system in Mcallen? wife might need to take bus before we can afford another car.
d. is there any farmer's market in Mcallen?
e. which bank has most branches / best service in town? I'm currently with HSBC but maybe it's time to move to another bank.

Economy is tough and I appreciate the opportunity. Just want to prepare us as best as we could so I can focus on work. On a side note, I'm thinking about learning Spanish but apparently I won't have much time due to intense work duty. Will you recommend Rosseta Stone?

Thanks!

Last edited by YL890; 03-29-2011 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM

8 posts, read 37,023 times
I don't have the answers but I think I will be moving to McAllen from Chicago. I got a job offer and waiting for details. There are some mixed reviews on this site, I hope some Mcallen folks respond.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 AM

I'm surprised to see the mixed reviews too. The two days I spent there was quite pleasant. But then again I haven't met enough local people to make proper judgment. I like the road, wide and nice to drive on (if you ever live in LA or upstate NY you know how bad road conditions can ruin your day). Weather is nice, but I'm from subtropical country where it's hotter and more humid so YMMV. I think the weather in Mcallen is pretty close to West palm beach, FL. Been to Chicago sveral times, and I hope you can adjust to subtropical weather or otherwise you will have a terrible summer. Good thing is no more crazy freezing wind in the winter, yay!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,594,304 times
I used to live there and visit once a year. (I moved in July 2010, raised there my whole life.) I'll try my best to answer these:

a. should I expect to see no asians around the city? There are some. (I hope you take no offense, but Filipinos asian? If they are then yeah.)

there are at least two on north 10th street (tokyo asian market, de dios filipino store) Though H-E-B superstore in McAllen has good variety stuff as well. I'd check there first, if you can't find it there, then check out the others.
c. how convenient is the bus system in Mcallen? wife might need to take bus before we can afford another car.
It's alright, getting there but not what you expect like in big cities, though fare is/was cheap when i left.

I believ Sun Harvest is the most popular, and in "flea" markets, they usually have fruit/vegetables there as well.

e. which bank has most branches / best service in town? I'm currently with HSBC but maybe it's time to move to another bank.
I think the most popular I see is IBC, BBVA Compass, wells Fargo

Old 03-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
I used to live there and visit once a year. (I moved in July 2010, raised there my whole life.) I'll try my best to answer these:

a. should I expect to see no asians around the city? There are some. (I hope you take no offense, but Filipinos asian? If they are then yeah.)

there are at least two on north 10th street (tokyo asian market, de dios filipino store) Though H-E-B superstore in McAllen has good variety stuff as well. I'd check there first, if you can't find it there, then check out the others.
Thank you for the kindly response. I'm asking the above question because my wife is a darn good cook and we hope we can still get most of the spices we use often after we move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
It's alright, getting there but not what you expect like in big cities, though fare is/was cheap when i left.

I believ Sun Harvest is the most popular, and in "flea" markets, they usually have fruit/vegetables there as well.

I think the most popular I see is IBC, BBVA Compass, wells Fargo
Thank you for the feedback. My employer just let me know that I need to open an account with IBC to get the payroll. so I guess that's the one.

After some talk with my employer, I'm surprised to find out they're not providing health insurance. Well it's not like I have many options so I'll suck it up and start search for inexpensive health insurance here. I've read about how health care is crazily expensive and wonder if anyone willing to step in and share some opinions about affordable options. I'm thinking about putting ~$150 max per month for my wife and just try to keep myself healthy and away from hospital. I basically know nothing about health insurance and the terms so any input is welcomed.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,916,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YL890 View Post
I'm surprised to see the mixed reviews too. The two days I spent there was quite pleasant. But then again I haven't met enough local people to make proper judgment. I like the road, wide and nice to drive on (if you ever live in LA or upstate NY you know how bad road conditions can ruin your day). Weather is nice, but I'm from subtropical country where it's hotter and more humid so YMMV. I think the weather in Mcallen is pretty close to West palm beach, FL. Been to Chicago sveral times, and I hope you can adjust to subtropical weather or otherwise you will have a terrible summer. Good thing is no more crazy freezing wind in the winter, yay!
One thing to note. The weather in West Palm Beach, FL is a bit different than McAllen. McAllen can get much colder in the winter than West Palm ever would and in the summer McAllen would be hotter than West Palm and drier (well, less rain). In West Palm you get daily thunderstorms, in McAllen you don't. It's pretty much semi-arid, but with humidity because proximity to the Gulf. Look at the temp/precip charts:

Average climate in McAllen, Texas

[LEFT][SIZE=2]Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations[/SIZE][/LEFT]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/McAlle...#ixzz1IEci5O9A

Rainfall is 2 inches in July, 80% possible sun.

Average climate in West Palm Beach, Florida

[LEFT][SIZE=2]Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations[/SIZE][/LEFT]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/West-P...#ixzz1IEdk0bYe

Rainfall is 6 inches in July, 70% possible sun.

What this means is rainfall is 3x in the summer in W. Palm Beach than McAllen. You're more likely to get those afternoon drenching and cooling thunderstorms in W. Palm Beach. You'll get the unrelenting sun in McAllen, but more wind and slightly less humidity.

So don't go in expecting a climate similar to West Palm Beach that's all I'm saying.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:02 PM

Default First week in Weslaco/Mcallen

I just started my work since this Monday and here's my thoughts about this town so far:

1. High rental expenses. TBH It really surprises me when I found out $700~800 can only get you a so-so little 1br apartment or creepy 2 br apartment around north Mcallen. I'm shifting my focus to Edinburg but not sure if Pan-Am area would be a good choice.

2. 75 mph on highway: Not saying I always drive below 65 mph on my way to work, but I do see a considerable amount of drivers driving close to 75+ mph in high traffic hours. I'm feeling a little bit unsafe especially bcz these drivers are also ones who rarely use signal lights and cutting lanes.

3. Food: Lots of spicy food. Most of them are delicious. I LOVE everything in Blue Onion! Also, I'm surprised to see Buffalo wild wings are pretty popular here.

4. Busy/Lazy property offices. Many properties I called either never pick up the phone or never call me back if I leave a message. I guess I have to earn my right to know the property only by paying visits. Most offices would not pick up my call after 3.

Overall this town is pretty nice for its size, people are friendly and traffic is not bad at all. I'm frustrated about housing but I guess it's more about how picky you are and I happen to be pretty picky. As an Asian, the Chinese grocery store (Tokyo) is too sad to see and the owner is actually Korean. I heard there's a farmer's market bi-weekly till June. Will pay a visit tomorrow. As for now I have 0 ideas about the night life around town. Any nice bar around?

Old 04-23-2011, 04:49 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,172,371 times
The best of luck to you, glad you are liking it so far anyways there are bars and clubs to go to heres a link: Downtown McAllen - Your Guide to Night Life in McAllen, Texas just want to warn you becareful if u cross into Mexico with all the drug problems, cartels, human smuggling, ect... Reynosa which is right across the border has some good shopping as well as Monterrey which is only 2 hrs away from McAllen.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,962,877 times
There are several Asian groceries around town, and most of the larger HEB stores have an aisle or so of different Asian foods. You can always order what you need on the internet, of course! Don't know anything about the bars, but I'm sure somebody else on here can let you know about that. And yes--people drive like maniacs. Stay out of Mexico.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:42 AM

Hello Again!

Thanks for the input! Work is intense so I only have little time to drive around the city so far. I found some little things to share:

1. No IMAX. Maybe I'm just spoiled... I'm a bit let down when found out the nearest IMAX theater is in Corpus Christi. This City deserves IMAX... But considering average cost is $7 for a movie, I should just shut up.

2. Energy company. I never had a chance to choose my energy provider before. I just roll the dice and chose Bounce for next 6 months. To be honest I couldn't see which company provides best deal. Maybe after this summer with actually energy usage I'll get a better idea.

3. High gas price. Well it's everywhere but I'm still wondering why the gas price is so high here. Hybrid powered cars are very tempting to me now

4. Rain can actually be dangerous. I saw 4 car accidents in 10 miles on expressway 83 couple days ago when we finally had some rain. This is crazy. Please think about your family and keep safe distance! I can't believe I'm grateful for Rochester's winter. 5 months in snow is the best defensive driving course...

6. People are really nice here! Not saying this is Utopia, but I've been to NYC, LA, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, SF, SD, Miami, and many other big cities. Rochester is still my top 1 and McAllen is probably no.3.

On a side note, I'm looking for night Spanish class. Any recommendations? Probably most people here in McAllen doesn't need it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas