Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:54 AM

19 posts, read 107,666 times

Advertisements

Hello All:

I am a single, 28 year old male from Michigan planning a trip to Texas in the next couple of months. I have not decided where I want to go, but I'm considering flying into San Antonio or Brownsville and spending time in South/Southeast Texas, near the Gulf (probably spend some time in San Antonio, Corpus, South Padre etc.) I have always been intrigued by that part of the country and am excited to see the fun and culture that South Texas has to offer.

My question is this - I really, really want to spend a night (or two) in a Mexican border town. Obviously I've read and heard a lot of what's going on, so my question is this - Is it safe and even advisable to do so? If so, where should I go (I've considered everything from Acuna all the way down to Metamoros)

Where should I stay? Any precautions that I should take? How much money should I bring (dont want to use a Mexican ATM.)

I will be traveling alone and DO NOT know Spanish particularly well (although I took Spanish throughout high school here and Michigan so I should be able to get by somewhat.)

Advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 12:48 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Spend the night? Advice: Don't. Some of the border towns are safe during the day. Progresso for instance, but it's not big enough to warrant spending the night, much less two. Acuna was at one time considered perhaps the best, nicest border town but these days I wouldn't want to be there at night. Why don't you just see if you can catch a cheap flight from San Antonio to somewhere safer in the Interior of Mexico (not Monterey BTW - not safe either).

Old 06-19-2011, 01:12 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Check out this map before making plans...

CARPE DIEM: Mapping the Dead from Mexico's Drug War

Old 06-19-2011, 01:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Stay in Texas. There's more than enough to see and do in this state. The border here is nothing like the border with Canada.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the insight everyone...even though it's not what I really wanted to hear. But as always, safety first....wouldn't want to risk my life for a couple nights just to pique my interest.

I really want to visit a border town, just for the day - Probably get there around 8 AM and leave around 5 PM - which would make sense?

Old 06-19-2011, 02:08 PM

Progresso is considered a nice little town that is still safe. There really isn't much worth exploring apart from the main drag. It is do-able from South Padre if a stay there interests you at all. The water of the Gulf of Mexico is unbelievably warm by July and South Padre is quite enjoyable. You might check out the crime stats also for Ciudad Acuna. It might be ok for a day trip, but be vigilant and don't go outside the main commercial and civic area.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:24 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
Acuna or Progresso are OK for daytime only. Do not spand the night and leave before 6 PM. Stay in Texas and take a taxi into Acuna to the market place. Do not go outside the main market area. There is enough diversity and influence of the Mexican culture on the Texs side of the border. You will get a better feel for the true Mexican Culture on the US side.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:04 PM

Thanks everyone. Progresso looks like it's going to be the place, just for the day - will probably spend time in South Padre and make the day trip from there. Acuna would be preferred, however it's not as accesible from South Padre.

Any US border towns or destinations that might be of interest (i.e. Brownsville, Harlingen McAllen?)

Old 06-19-2011, 04:43 PM

I'm no expert on that part of Texas. When we lived in Austin we used to fly down to Harlingen and rent a car to drive to South Padre. Harlingen has a real nice little airport, but I wasn't over-impressed by the town itself. I believe McAllen is supposed to be the nicest of those towns. Brownsville is virtually Mexico, so if you want to be in a really Mexican border town without actually crossing the border, you could visit Brownsville. Unfortunately Matamoros seems to have become unsafe, so I'd stay on the Brownsville side. BTW, the Harlingen airport has the hugest bouganvilla plants I've ever seen -- they are large shrubs growing out in front of the airport -- almost a bouganvilla hedge. I'm sure there are other examples equally impressive down there but I'd just never seen such enormous ones before. In Austin they were just relatively modest vines that you usually grew in pots or hanging baskets.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:05 PM

Thanks - Brownsville looks like it'll get a visit.

Are there any good resort hotels (with a pool etc.) in the Brownsville, Harlingen or McAllen areas that are worth a stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas